Author Topic: Willie Nelson's Lost Highway  (Read 104249 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: Willie Nelson's Lost Highway
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 09:59:42 pm »
That ketchup-splattered still is a veiled threat.  F*ck your fries. 

The interesting thing about a work of art is that everyone brings their own experiences and interpretations to understanding it. Unless we get a word from the creator of the work himself, we have no idea who is "right" and who is "wrong." As the quote on the entry page of this site states:

"It is my feeling that a story is not finished until it is read, and that the reader finishes it through his or her life experience, prejudices, world view and thoughts."
- Annie Proulx

So it is with Willie's song, and the video in question.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 10:18:43 pm »
Sorry do you mean angrily, "this is a JOKE.. grrr...." or "c'mon guys this is a joke"

If its the latter, well I think you're living in some fantasy world. Those lyrics and the ketchup bottle.. if its not meant to be blood whats the significance Milo? Can you please explain? Do Gay folk like their chips (sorry french fries) with tomato sauce - is that some sort of proven fact??  >:( ;) >:

I hadn't seen this thread till today... ugh. Absolutely right Amanda - trying to cash in on both sides of the fence.

"Joke" as in a parody. I think Willie is making fun of those who use Brokeback Mountain as a homophobic slur. Its like that song often sung by operatic sopranos titled, "I Hate Music, but I Like to Sing."

The ketchup bottle?? It suggests someone who was so shocked/surprised at experiencing something that s/he dropped the bottle they were holding. Its kinda old-school slapstick. Like when "sis" announces that she is pregnant, and "dad" drops his glass of water.  

When I mentioned fries, I was talking about my own taste for them. In the US, ketchup goes with fries.

I don't live in a fantasy world. You have no idea what my world is like, so I'll thank you to stick to the subject at hand, and not attempt to analyze my personality. Its not productive, and you'll never get it right.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 10:32:51 pm »
"Joke" as in a parody. I think Willie is making fun of those who use Brokeback Mountain as a homophobic slur. Its like that song often sung by operatic sopranos titled, "I Hate Music, but I Like to Sing."

The ketchup bottle?? It suggests someone who was so shocked/surprised at experiencing something that s/he dropped the bottle they were holding. Its kinda old-school slapstick. Like when "sis" announces that she is pregnant, and "dad" drops his glass of water.  

When I mentioned fries, I was talking about my own taste for them. In the US, ketchup goes with fries.

I don't live in a fantasy world. You have no idea what my world is like, so I'll thank you to stick to the subject at hand, and not attempt to analyze my personality. Its not productive, and you'll never get it right.

I hope you're right that it's meant as a parody, but I don't buy it.  If it is, I think Willie should make a very clear statement saying so.

As I said, my childhood foundation is feeling a bit shaken.

I believe it to be in the absolutely worst taste.  I see nothing humorous on the subject of gay bashing, no matter how you want to twist it....pun intended.

And I'm still looking for valid addresses; when I find them, I'll ask them myself.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 10:43:53 pm »
I hope you're right that it's meant as a parody, but I don't buy it.

I'm not selling it...Willie is. I'm just saying that, IMO, there's nothing in this song that's any "worse" than the BBM jokes made by Leno, Letterman, O'Brien, Kimmel, or any other on-air personality has made over the years.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2009, 11:12:14 pm »

I don't buy it either. I'm very disappointed in Willie Nelson for allowing himself to be associated with this. What an arsehole he is.  >:(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2009, 11:14:12 pm »
I'm not selling it...Willie is. I'm just saying that, IMO, there's nothing in this song that's any "worse" than the BBM jokes made by Leno, Letterman, O'Brien, Kimmel, or any other on-air personality has made over the years.

Of course it's worse, Milo, because Willie profited from Brokeback Mountain.  Do you not recognize the hypocrisy?

And I don't recall any late night talk-show jokes endorsing gay bashing, just ones about the gay cowboy movie, sheep, getting it on in tents or with the sheep, etc...not gay-supportive, but definitely not promoting violence against gays in the way this does.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2009, 11:19:13 pm »
Of course it's worse, Milo, because Willie profited from Brokeback Mountain.  Do you not recognize the hypocrisy?

And I don't recall any late night talk-show jokes endorsing gay bashing, just ones about the gay cowboy movie, sheep, getting it on in tents or with the sheep, etc...not gay-supportive, but definitely not promoting violence against gays in the way this does.

Lynne, what violence are you talking about?? I don't hear a single violent lyric in the whole song. All I hear is cornball phrases, and whimsical instrumental tracks.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2009, 11:39:00 pm »
They'll see it as an endorsement of their hatred of gay men.  It doesn't matter what other kinds of messages Willie Nelson has put out there, or will put out there in the future.  If the crowd I'm talking about hears this song, they will take it at face value.  Nelson has been around long enough to know that, so if this was meant as a joke, he should have remembered who his audience might be.  

Yeah, there's a whole lot of people out there who will see this as a joke -- a joke on gay people.  I can hear the chuckles now.  

There was a time when people thought that Picasso should have known better than to paint images like this...

...because some men ("simpler"men) might think its OK to beat on women. They were worried about the distortions of the face & body.

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2009, 11:49:09 pm »
I'm with you, Paul.  Being from the south, I know just how the rednecks, homophobes, and the Bible thumpers will take this crap.  They'll see it as an endorsement of their hatred of gay men.  It doesn't matter what other kinds of messages Willie Nelson has put out there, or will put out there in the future.  If the crowd I'm talking about hears this song, they will take it at face value.  Nelson has been around long enough to know that, so if this was meant as a joke, he should have remembered who his audience might be.  

Yeah, there's a whole lot of people out there who will see this as a joke -- a joke on gay people.  I can hear the chuckles now.  

Yep !
He knows who his audience is on this.
He ain't no dummy.

Willie has been smoking too much weed.  It's screwed up his mind.

;D

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2009, 01:41:27 am »
I'm with you, Paul.  Being from the south, I know just how the rednecks, homophobes, and the Bible thumpers will take this crap.  They'll see it as an endorsement of their hatred of gay men.
Yeah, I have read some of the comments people have left to this video on youtube. That´s exactly how it is.