Author Topic: Willie Nelson's Lost Highway  (Read 104254 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: Willie Nelson's Lost Highway
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2009, 02:37:54 pm »
Yep.

I'm not sure which step I missed, but anyone can read back a few pages and find out.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2009, 02:52:28 pm »
Thirty years ago, two guys greeting each other with a bear hug and a thump on the back was looked on with suspicion.  It's only come back into style since the restrictions on homosexuality have relaxed.

Thirty years ago, the only guys the hug-n-thump thing were bruthas in da 'hood. Gangs also had special handshakes/embraces that signified membership. I would theorize that it slowly seeped out into the general population along with other elements of hip-hop culture.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2009, 03:03:16 pm »
The reaction of "rednecks," "yahoos," and other likely gay-bashers to this song led to a discussion about how men in different parts of the country might interpret the lyrics. That in led to a turn in the direction of how straight men react to the advances of homosexual men. Which led to bravado and men "talking smak." Which led to Gary's assertion that homophobia "keeps straight men from being naturally affectionate and open with one another." Which led to my assertion that men are indeed affectionate and open with one another. Which led to Gary questioning my understanding of men. Which led to where we are now.

Did I skip a step?

I can count the straight men I know who are openly affectionate with other men besides family members on one hand and have fingers left over.  I'm sure the response to this is that being a female, I am not attuned to the nuances of male affection, so I'll save you the trouble.  I believe I am.  I have both father and brother and have spent 41 years observing how they interact with each other and with outsiders.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2009, 03:23:50 pm »
Thirty years ago, the only guys the hug-n-thump thing were bruthas in da 'hood. Gangs also had special handshakes/embraces that signified membership. I would theorize that it slowly seeped out into the general population along with other elements of hip-hop culture.

When I was young, it specifically was not done, unless the person was a blood relative.  There was no secret why it was frowned upon.

My experience suggests hip-hop has little or nothing to do with it, because the people involved have no contact with, nor interest in, hip-hop.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2009, 03:32:43 pm »
The cartoonish instrumentation is one tip off. Its also the way I'm hearing the lyrics. They're silly.

As a fellow musician, I certainly dont see it as being a cartoonist intrumentation.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2009, 04:09:59 pm »
My experience suggests hip-hop has little or nothing to do with it, because the people involved have no contact with, nor interest in, hip-hop.

Interesting thing about how cultural elements seep in...you don't have to be part of the culture--or even interested in it--to assimilate the elements. Suburban kids are wearing hip-hop-inspired fashions even though they might not listen to hip-hop music. There are tons of young people out there who have never broken the law, yet they sport prison-style tattoos. The "fist-bump" is another example of an element that has seeped out of hip-hop. There's no telling which element will become popular, and which ones won't.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2009, 04:13:15 pm »
As a fellow musician, I certainly dont see it as being a cartoonist intrumentation.

Maybe I've been listening to too much Rossini.

:)

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2009, 04:18:19 pm »
Interesting thing about how cultural elements seep in...you don't have to be part of the culture--or even interested in it--to assimilate the elements. Suburban kids are wearing hip-hop-inspired fashions even though they might not listen to hip-hop music. There are tons of young people out there who have never broken the law, yet they sport prison-style tattoos. The "fist-bump" is another example of an element that has seeped out of hip-hop. There's no telling which element will become popular, and which ones won't.

The people I'm talking about aren't any where near that age group.

I think you are giving hip-hop as exaggerated an influence as some people give gay culture.

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2009, 04:22:15 pm »
Oh, I think old Willie is just looking for some media attention.
He doesn't play the big concert venues anymore.

He doesn't draw them in like he did in his early days.

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2009, 04:32:24 pm »
Oh, I think old Willie is just looking for some media attention.
He doesn't play the big concert venues anymore.

He doesn't draw them in like he did in his early days.

I was wondering if this particular song was a financial move to placate former fans he might have alienated with BBM.  I don't know his demographics with regard to homophobic vs homosexual and which group generates him the most revenue, but I'd guess it ain't us.