Author Topic: "The Wings" remixes get slaughtered with with Bad reviews on iTunes.  (Read 16155 times)

Surf

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=135447791&s=143441

You need iTunes installed on your system (Mac users, it's already there, Windows, you must intall yourself) for this link to work.

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
Re: "The Wings" remixes get slaughtered with with Bad reviews on iTunes.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 11:17:20 pm »
As they should - they make my ears bleed.
   Cowboys do it better

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 11:45:02 pm »
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=135447791&s=143441

You need iTunes installed on your system (Mac users, it's already there, Windows, you must intall yourself) for this link to work.

I didn't really like most of the remixes either.  It would be like making the Celine Dion Titanic song into a club remix. :)

The Wings is, for me, the most moving song on the entire soundtrack.  The swelling strings at the end just really do it for me, and throwing a drum beat over the top of that just destroys the whole moving feeling.

If anything, I wanted that particular song to last far longer, but in its original feel.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 12:26:46 am »
It would be like making the Celine Dion Titanic song into a club remix. :)

Phillip, I am not making this up:  I distinctly remember a dance version of My Heart Will Go On at various clubs in Toronto around the time that movie came out - I can still hear it in my head (unfortunately).
   Cowboys do it better

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 01:15:05 am »
The producer Jakatta (who also goes by other famous DJ names) does a great job of remixing movie themes.  He did a great job with American Beauty and Shawshank Redemption.  I was so sure he would do The Wings, but hasn't.  This remix of The Wings is awful, awfu, awful.  Any song can be decently remixed if the production choices are right.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Surf

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 01:23:14 am »
The producer Jakatta (who also goes by other famous DJ names) does a great job of remixing movie themes.  He did a great job with American Beauty and Shawshank Redemption.  I was so sure he would do The Wings, but hasn't.  This remix of The Wings is awful, awfu, awful.  Any song can be decently remixed if the production choices are right.

I think Santaolalla's music should be left alone, and apparently so do most of the reviewers on iTunes.  It's one of the things you hear over and over again.  One even said "good way to make the movie a joke".

No kidding.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 01:24:16 am »
It would be like making the Celine Dion Titanic song into a club remix. :)

Phillip, I am not making this up:  I distinctly remember a dance version of My Heart Will Go On at various clubs in Toronto around the time that movie came out - I can still hear it in my head (unfortunately).

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D   EVIL!!!   >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

A P.S. - I just added my two cents to the review pile-on.  One star and a comment entitled "Sacrilege."  They apparently review comments before they make them public.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 01:33:50 am by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 02:15:12 am »
I think I am the only clubber here.  I enjoy a good remix.  Always have.  To me It's not evil, and not the end of the world.  Seriously folks, I'd love to hear a great remix of all of the Santaolalla soundtrack.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 02:26:55 am »
Flash, I've said it before - I love how you stick to your opinions, repeat as necessary, but never (hardly, hardly, hardly ever) get hostile about it.  You are really a model of assertiveness without aggression.  And you know what?  (I think I may have already said this too) You have caused me to change my mind and see things new ways with your style of declaration.  Most notably is Ennis Jacksexual vs. gay.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 02:48:07 am »
Without even hearing it, I have to say I'm glad--yes, glad--the remix is being "slaughtered." To turn that incredibly beautiful, haunting piece of music into a dance tune is just wrong.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 02:53:42 am »
Well, hmmm, this is really quite subjective, like all art, isn't it?  :-\

And I bring something VERY subjective to this, having been a club DJ for 15+ years and just loving to dance, period.

There are five remixes of The Wings so far. I have two of them, the Gabriel and Dresden remix and the Tony Moran remix.  G & D is much trippier and Tony's is just downright pretty.  Soaring even.  I've heard Tony's remix twice so far on a dancefloor and it is really breathtaking.

In fact, I heard it in THE most beautiful setting in Miami at the beginning of this month.  It was a beach party under a canopy of white flowing chiffon, with 4,500 people present.  The dancefloor alone had 2,000 people on it.  It was glorious and if Gustavo's music can reach a wider, appreciative audience this way, well why not?

hehehe... There's a picture of me on a website at this exact party for those that may be interested in looking, taken by a photographer up in the dj booth we were right in front of.

It's at bhuf.com - then click on 2006 Winter Party.  Then "beach pics". Then go to page 9 and it's pic # 4057. I'm the one without red hair....  ;D  http://www.printroom.com/ViewGallery.asp?userid=bhuf&gallery_id=340329&curpage=9

Well, that pic shows where I first heard the remix of The Wings and it's a beautiful memory etched in my brain...  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 03:03:14 am by Spooky_Rabbit »
I know I shall meet you on that final day! Water Walkin' Jesus, take me away...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 04:15:29 am »
Jimmy, that's a beautiful picture!  I ordered a mouse pad of it.  (Just kidding about that second part.)

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 01:14:19 pm »
LOL, Clarissa!!  ;D

You can run your mouse over my face...  :o

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 04:03:28 pm »
 I've heard Tony's remix twice so far on a dancefloor and it is really breathtaking.

Hey Spooky,

I believe Tony Moran is the DJ who also records under the name JAKATTA.  I have to find the Tony Moran version of The Wings now!  Thanks!

****Are you going to make me dye my hair red just to get next to you in a photo?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 04:05:13 pm by Flashframe777 »

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 04:21:32 pm »
No Flash! (but he is a cutie, no?)

The CD single of The Wings remixes comes out commercially April 11 according to Amazon.  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 04:31:12 pm »
Well, hmmm, this is really quite subjective, like all art, isn't it?  :-\

Agreed, all art is subjective. No offense intended to anyone else's opinion, it's just my opinion that it was wrong to turn "The Wings" into a dance tune. In my opinion that trivializes it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Surf

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 04:49:57 pm »
Here is a sampling of the reviews from iTunes users:

Who Greenlights these things? *

What began as a truly haunting song that signifies the longing of a love that can never be fully realized has been diluted and over-processed into some sort of 'queer as folk' club anthem.  The only people who would be excited to hear this start thumping into their local dance spot are the same people who would buzz around spouting oh how excited they were to see "that gay cowboy movie where those hot guys make out."

Those who have completely missed the point in both instances.

The Sad truth remains that while pretty boys in cowboy duds can easily keep some distracted enough to miss the tragic story behind the homo-erotic action, these remixes aren't even remarkable enough to hold your interest for the five minutes they demand of your time.

Terrible! *

I loved the movie.  I loved the acting.  I loved the music.

I hate these remixes.

They're a travesty, an awful techno/rave reinterpretation of an otherwise simple and haunting song.  Imagine someone taking the stirring Ashokan Farewell from Ken Burns' Civil War documentary and giving it a terrible techno beat.  Yeah, this is that bad!  And believe me, I do like techno, when it's done properly.

So you don't believe they can be that bad?  Go ahead and give them a listen.  Nothing I write can prepare you for how bad these remixes really are.

I'm gay *

...and this is by far the gayest thing I've ever seen.  How many copies of the Brokeback Mountain them do we really need?  Did they have to d a super-gay-techno version?   Way to make a complete joke of the film...

Leave the Music Alone ! *

I agree with the other reviewers...this music was haunting and beautiful in the movie.  It was wonderful in it's original context.  It shoudl be left alone...and not re-mixed and re-masterd to be heard at ever circuit party of the year.  I won't be buying this album.  I would recommend the original Brokeback Mountain soundtrack.

WHAT?!?!?! *

What in the world is this?  They HAD to ruin it for all of us...

Is Nothing Sacred? *

This is easily the worst entry into the iTunes catalogue yet.  I'm sure you could find a worse group of tracks to download, but you'll find nothing (!) that poops all over a great, original idea like these uncalled for remixes.

I saw this coming... **

I knew it was just a matter of time till someone decided to take the great soundtrack of Brokeback Mountain and pervert it into a dance mix.  Now every gay club in the nation is going to be playing this for the next 6 months as our official anthem.  Thanks a lot!  Just leave well enough alone and stop trying to squeeze every dollar out of what was a good movie and now is rapidly becoming just another stereotype to add to the others.  Ugh...

Apalling! *

I nearly broke my wrist yanking my mouse to stop this.  The bracing elegance of Santaolalla's score is one of the many, many aspects to admire in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.  I consider it the best movie I've seen in many years.  The pain it conveys resonates more and more with each viewing.

But to take this music and put through a taste-free meat grinder like this--well, someone should be lashed until he drops.

Good Lord, WHY? *

I know.  I have a great idea.  Let's take one of the most plaintive and haunting movie themes in recent memory and put a dance beat to it?  I mean, who wouldn't want to go out on the dance-floor and celebrate someone getting beaten to death with a tire-iron and a man who has to live a life alone and in pain until the end of his life!?!?! I am all about the dance-floor be a place for catharsis, but this is just tasteless.

Worse than Crash Winning the Oscar **

I am not prejudiced against this film-I thought it was the best of the year.  Oh, yeah, and the music.  Santaolalla's original version of "The Wings" is soaring and spectacular; a crucial component of the film.  This is something else.  These people have shredded up a work of art and turned into, of all things, a rave club-thumper?  Brokeback Mountain isn't really a film that makes me want to gyrate while buzzing on ecstasy.  I can really only think of two places this might work: a gay club and a strictly homsexual Abercrombie & Fitch.  So that's a star for each.

This movie is now dead to me *

The Queer as Folk guys might have well just run onto the screen and frosted Jack's hair.  It woud have been more dignified.

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 04:54:45 pm »
LOL - Since I don't go to clubs, I have still managed to avoid hearing any of the remixes.  I am avoiding them almost as much as I am avoiding Crash, which just landed with a resounding crash (sorry, bad pun fully intended!) on cable.

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 05:05:44 pm »
Well................... there are two kinds of people: those that like to dance and those that do not.

I can dance to anything and that includes Tchaikovsky, hehehe. But I keep that in my house and spare other people...  :)

I find the "horror" in those reviews to be very amusing.  And I laughed right out loud at the word "sacred" being used.

And there is the problem to me: that the music had become "sacred" to this reviewer.  I personally do not find any music to be sacred - it's music, let it be reworked, remade, retold.  Good music can withstand a bad retelling and the world keeps spinning.  (Beatles fans are the worst for feeling the music can't be touched ever again.  OMG, it's just POP music!  It's not biblical!)

And clearly Gustavo himself didn't find his composition to be so sacred as to NOT be remixed.  Why should anyone else?

Eh.  I'm an optimist.  The glass is always half full.  When I was on the dancefloor and the beautiful theme came on, I was not celebrating a death by tire iron beating, as the one "reviewer" kind of dumbly put it, but of this beautiful film and the love that the story is truly about...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 05:07:10 pm »
WHAT ALL THOSE REVIEWERS SAID!

(Thanks, Surf.)

Surf

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 05:10:42 pm »
Well................... there are two kinds of people: those that like to dance and those that do not.

I enjoy dancing, but...NOT to this.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 05:57:25 pm »
Those reviews really made me laugh.

See, the thing about dancing is that you do it with your body and a sense of space, filtering it lastly through your mind. 

From an intellectual standpoint, yes, it could be a very horrible experience listening to dance remixes, but only because you're filtering it through the wrong channel. 

If you listen to dance music with your body and heart, instead of your intellect, it can kick ass.  It's the same as the difference between rock music and soul music.  Generally, Rock is intellectual, whereas soul is more emotional (not a hard and fast rule in every case because each can have both attributes). 

Hey Jimmy, Jakatta is DJ Joey Negro.  I was wrong about it being T. Moran.

And there is only one beautiful guy in that photo - he's wearing ***a black necklace.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 06:04:40 pm by Flashframe777 »

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 06:05:38 pm »
The reviews were written by Puritans!

Who can't feel the music in their hips...   :)  Hell, maybe they've never even been on a dancefloor...  If I'm not moving it at least once a week, I get seriously unhappy but that's another story...

And believe me, on a beautiful sunny day in Miami with 2,000 people (OK, men, hehe) dancing to The Wings (which was very subtly woven through this particular mix), it was a very uplifting experience.

It's a piece of music, not The Koran! (thanks, Paul...  ;D )

I have heard of Jakatta, Flash, but can't place him in particular...

And thank you! (I think? There are several guys wearing shades in that pic! Including Mr. Red Head. Harrumph! hehehe...)  ;)

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2006, 06:06:07 pm »
LOL, Clarissa!!  ;D

You can run your mouse over my face...  :o

OMG!   I need a cigarette!
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2006, 06:17:37 pm »
Spooky, I changed it to black necklace to be more specific.

Jakatta (Tony Moran) produced  "American Beauty"- Jakatta, "So Lonely" w/ Sheila Chandra, "My Vision" - Seal, and the Theme From 6 Ft Under - Jakatta.  He does really great with sentimental strings and piano.  In the songs above he uses samples from American Beauty, Six Feet Under, and The Shawshank Redemption soundtracks.  I am still guessing that he will do something wonderful with Brokeback Mountain.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2006, 07:04:16 pm »
OMG those are horrendous!  >:(

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2006, 08:30:50 pm »
Oh yeah, Flash!

The Jakatta remixes of American Beauty.  They are very lovely, very chill.

The Six Feet Under one is on a DVD of mine but alas not on any audio CD I currently own.

OK.  Black necklace then.  (Actually, rasta - red, yellow, green and black.   ;D  )

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2006, 02:48:21 am »
I was wondering if there might be a remix of this song in particular.  I'm not against the idea per se.  I like the Photek remix of the Six Feet Under theme, and some of the Moulin Rouge remixes.  Out of the mixes on itunes, I only really like the Gabriel and Dresden mix because of the way it incorporates the original piece. 

The Wings is really the song that perfectly encapsulates the movie, the emotion, just the essence of the film, but I've always found it to be too short.  What I wish someone could do is a mix of the song that breaks it down and extends it to a longer version without adding or removing the instrumentation.

There's an extended mix of Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House that does this, and I found a bootleg mix of a Robbie Williams cover of Somethin' Stupid that does the same thing, kind of chop up and loop the song to let it go for like 8 minutes.  8 minutes of The Wings would be like...aaaaaahhh heaven!

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 02:51:44 am »
Ah, Juan!   :)

I have the original record (from what? 1986?) of the extended version of Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House.

Just adds a leisurely intro and a leisurely outro really, maintaining the complete integrity of the song.

Loved it from the minute I heard it!

It's in my iPod...   :)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2006, 02:53:29 am »
Yes yes yes!  Thank you!  You described it better than I did.  That's what I love about that version, so when I got obsessed with The Wings, I thought, oh I wish I could do that to this song...

Juan

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 02:57:30 am »
Off topic,

but there's a really cool remix of the song they played during the last 5 minutes of the final episode of Six Feet Under(Wow now THAT was some series ending montage...)

The song is Breathe Me , by Sia

the remix is 6:24  and IMHO keeps the integrity of the song.

Blah blah blah blabbedy blah....

:)
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2006, 03:00:38 am »
I JUST got the first disc of Season Five Six Feet Under in the mail from Netflix.

In fact, I should be watching it instead of posting here... hehehe...

Juan, was that extended version ever released on CD or did you find a download somewhere?

It was a rare record even back then!

A DJ I knew played it (last song of the night) and then I scoured the racks till I found a copy...

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006, 03:05:48 am »
I'm pretty sure I found it online somewhere and downloaded it.  I was so amazed when I heard it, and I had a huge Crowded House obsession for a long time (How Will You Go is my favorite song of theirs).  God I love making discoveries like that.

Six Feet Under is another obsession of mine, and the use of music on that show is excellent.  I didn't know any Radiohead or Death Cab until SFU.  But I had no idea there's a remix for Breathe Me!  Gotta start looking for it now.....

Juan

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2006, 03:06:17 am »
Damn Spooky,

I'm glad I didn't spoil the season for you!

Gotta watch what I post around here.

:-X

Hey Juan,
Yeah, they did some fantastic things, especially IMHO, the final season...Strawberry Letter 23. The version of Breathe Me used in the show was so beautiful. I had it looped for like 5 days after the episode aired.   But we have to be careful, I think Spooky hasn't seen it yet.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 03:09:17 am by montferrat »
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2006, 03:10:43 am »
I found 3 remixes for Breathe Me on Kazaa, by Mylo, Four Tet, and Ulrich Schnauss.  And I started to download a Finbar Massi mix of The Wings but it never finished. 

I loved the last season of SFU, man it killed me.  At this point I Netflix most everything but this one's a keeper.  Just got the DVD from Best Buy, $65 on sale.  Not that I have the $65 bucks but...

Juan

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2006, 03:13:43 am »
Re: Six Feet Under ~ Fingers in my ears and singing "La, La, La, La, La"...

I should go watch.

And Finbar Massi is doing some great remixes these days!  I heard that one of The Wings, a friend of mine layed it down at a house party, very nice...   :)

P.S. Paul, I owe you "my story"...  I'm not sure what it is, I'm pondering...   :)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2006, 03:17:38 am »
Oh no problem, I never blab that kind of stuff....God I love music....J

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2006, 03:18:11 am »
Juan,

The remix version I have of Breathe Me is 6:24 seconds if that helps. No more info on it. The show version is 4:32 .

We'll have to PM sometime about the final season!   :-X

Jimmy, in your own time.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 03:20:24 am by montferrat »
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2006, 03:22:15 am »
That'd be great Jimmy, now that the DVD is out I'm hooked all over again.  And if you're in my time, you know how late it is!  J

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2006, 03:24:58 am »
A pleasure gentlemen,

I better get to bed, as Juan noted, it's reeeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyyy  late for us!

Night!

Paul
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2006, 03:31:44 am »
Oops.  You're Paul, he's Jimmy.  Got it.  Night guys, enjoy SFU!

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2006, 03:50:17 am »
The Manny Lehman mixes are not so hot.  I can live with the others.  I might buy a few.

I hope you don't mind too much the idea of messing with is song.  I wrote a vocal version that I'm hoping to get on the CD I'm working on.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2006, 10:01:41 am »
Oooh Kirkmusic.  I would LOVE to hear your vocal version.  My favorite "made up vocals" for an instrumental song is "Am I The Same Girl?" by Swingout Sister, which is a vocal version of a famous standard jazz/pop 60s song.

Offline Fopper

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2006, 11:38:25 am »
My favorite mix of Breathe Me by Sia is by Ulrich Schnauss, i love his mixes, they are very atmospheric! My favorite wings mix, if i had to pick one, is the tony moran one. I had posted a link on the other boards to be able to download it, if people are interested i can post it here too (if that's allowed). I'd love to hear an extended mix of don't dream it's over too....
Speaking of Titanic, I actually think Tony Moran might have done a mix of celine's song way back when too....i have to check on that....

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2006, 01:27:22 pm »
There was definitely a big ole mix of Celine "This song woulda been a hit no matter who sang it" Dion's Titanic Theme...

I don't recall if it was Tony or not but I played it a few times in its day.

I mean, ya just had to.  Titanic was ubiquitous.

Not that there's anything wrong with it...  I actually love that movie...  :)

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2006, 02:06:37 pm »
You know guys, I remember that "Titanic" remix and I'm almost one hundred percent sure it wasn't Celine singing. They do that sometimes, have a studio vocalist sing on the track. Not sure why?

I have a remix of The Spice Girls (ducking!) with La Isla Bonita from Madonna, except it's not Madonna singing. It's some random spanish girl.

Hmm...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 02:17:26 pm by montferrat »
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2006, 02:16:01 pm »
Paul,

With a huge song like My Heart Will Go On, what happens is they rush out the 'cover' version with some unknown disco dolly singin' it.

THEN the label wises up and gets out the real song as a remix too.

I have the faceless version and there IS also an actual dance version with Celine herself singing it.

And yes, ALL of Madonna gets covered eventually and yet all of the girl herself gets remixed too.   :)

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2006, 02:18:31 pm »
Thank you for clearing that up for me Jimmy.

I'd kinda figured it was something like that, but nice to have it confirmed!
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2006, 03:29:47 pm »
Yeah, there was a commercially released dance mix of MHWGO by what's-her-name.  I remember hearing the cheesy cover version, but you could tell with that song that it would just be a matter of time before the original ballad was made into a dance tune.  Here 'tis on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000JO3X/qid=1144091957/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-9831967-9663219?s=music&v=glance&n=5174  BTW, I'm digging the Mylo mix of Breathe Me, uses the strings part really nicely. 

Juan

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2006, 03:33:56 pm »
Thanks for the link Juan...gonna go check it out.

I wonder if the mylo mix is the one I have?

Like I said, mine is unlabled.

Yeah, i love the strings on Breathe Me.
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2006, 03:41:17 pm »
Must be Paul, it's 6:24 like you said.  If you want an mp3 of the Titanic mix I can probably send it to you.

Juan

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2009, 08:22:54 pm »
Wow....strong opinions here.  I own the remix of "The Wings" and listen to it on a CD I bured of current dance hits.  I wish they had used more lines from the movie on it.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!