Author Topic: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts  (Read 90075 times)

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Gay Couple Detained After Kissing on Mormon Church-Owned Property
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 09:31:45 am »
Meryl did ask us not to discuss this anymore in this thread.

If we want to continue it, maybe it should be taken to a blog.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 10:13:41 am »
Well, I'm glad you found a place more to your liking.

However, I must say the copying of our very posts from here , onto that site for ridicule is a
little disturbing.  Not to mention unfair.

But......  shit happens.

I'm going to leave one more comment here about that, and that's all on the subject I'll post. I understand why the mods don't want this to develop into a full-blown thread; but sometimes "let's just not discuss this anymore" amounts to leaving offensive statements unchallenged.  edited to add -- not the comments I quoted at the top of the message!

I posted that link to the other forum because, as someone mentioned, posts from this forum were being held up to ridicule by people who feel that a recent expulsion was due to the poster's political views or to "honesty".  The moderators haven't taken me into their confidence about that and there's no reason they should; however, as someone who's been posting in this part of the forum for awhile I can attest to a long period where thread after thread after thread quickly degenerated into a screamfest. And in a very high percentage of those cases the conversation started out cordially until one or two participants started picking fights, tossing out personal and quasi-personal insults (e.g., coy references to "libs", "sissies", deliberately misspelling posters' names, etc.) and other disruptive actions only marginally related to the subject. And IMO that's the reason for the expulsion.

The people in the conservative blog have a "right" to snark and revel in perceived victimization all they like, in that no one here has the authority to stop them. However, no one should be surprised if they quote posts from this forum and someone here responds. If you habitually hike through cow pastures with a blindfold on, you've no one to blame but yourself if someone, somewhere, observes that there's a strong odor of cow crap in the vicinity.

And oh, BTW, we can probably add "no Muslims" to "no crybabies, no drama queens, no sissies, and no misandry" judging from the samples I've read.

(steps down off soapbox)

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 10:49:45 am »
I'm already in dutch with Meryl, but I am going to say this.

We have a right to be angry and our post being copied and ridiculed, but I think they win
when we get angry.

I think the best solution for me is, if there are certain subjects that we want to discuss, the ones
we know are going to be copied and posted elsewhere, it would be best to take them to a
personal blog. 

We would have more control there.  Or, we could continue to give them access, and something to
cackle over.  Something that seems to be needed. Bless their heart.

I admit I have posted personal attacks, or so I've been told.  I am not as good as some at posting
in words that keep me under the radar.

I don't even want to try anymore. 

I don't want the mods jobs to be any harder then it already is.

Heck, I even thought about cross posting one of their posts here, but that would be stooping
to their level.

It's over, and I say we just don't feed the kitty anymore.
The kitty always goes off looking for food elsewhere then.

;D

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 11:22:37 am »
So as not to further disrupt the "kissing" thread.

I posted that link to the other forum because, as someone mentioned, posts from this forum were being held up to ridicule by people who feel that a recent expulsion was due to the poster's political views or to "honesty".  The moderators haven't taken me into their confidence about that and there's no reason they should; however, as someone who's been posting in this part of the forum for awhile I can attest to a long period where thread after thread after thread quickly degenerated into a screamfest. And in a very high percentage of those cases the conversation started out cordially until one or two participants started picking fights, tossing out personal and quasi-personal insults (e.g., coy references to "libs", "sissies", deliberately misspelling posters' names, etc.) and other disruptive actions only marginally related to the subject. And IMO that's the reason for the expulsion.

The problem with kicking Jess out specifically is that these types of quasi-personal insults had been aimed at her, and in her admittedly un-sophisticated attempts to defend herself, she was routinely cited while her attackers were not.

Quasi-personal attacks on here from the liberal side have included items like "fascist," "homophobe," "butch," and "apologist." So there's plenty of grenade tossing from both sides. 

And oh, BTW, we can probably add "no Muslims" to "no crybabies, no drama queens, no sissies, and no misandry" judging from the samples I've read.

Just so you know, the "no crybabies..." line was my personal touch. While a few others at The Retreat feel that way too, those are the kinds of people I personally don't like. I wouldn't include Muslims in that list because I don't have a problem with Muslims. That's Artiste's issue. 
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

retropian

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 11:30:26 am »
You know what, I left Bettermost a while ago because of this uncaring cruel attitude towards people.

But having signed on and looked around "The Retreat" I had to come back and tell you exactly what I think of the behaviour over there.

It is appalling  >:( ... and all of you at the retreat should be ashamed of yourselves.   :-\ 

Discussing people in a constructive manner is one thing but taking nasty little cheap potshots at them is quite another.  And doing so in a place where people can see what you've written about them but are unable to defend themselves is cruel and incredibly cowardly .... I'm pretty sure you've done it deliberately to upset and hurt people ....one of the comments in your "private or public" thread suggests just that.

I guess Gary should be flattered that you can't stop thinking about him.  He is a wonderful kind caring funny sensitive man, and if you weren't so blinded by your own bitter hatred you would see that too.

SHAME ON YOU ALL!!!! >:(

Susiebell

Hi Susiebell! It's nice to see you back. I hope you'll stay and not let anyone push you off again. I agree with you about Gary! He's a lovely person. We've been communicating off and on since the old IMDB days. I admire is erudition, and his good nature. Personally I don't think it's a bad thing for these people to have what they've created. They can express their true feelings, mostly hatred, and demonstrate just what kind of people they really are; the kind of people we suspected they were all along. I think Gary should be flattered too. I would be! LOL!
Ian

Offline bailey1205

Re: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 11:31:00 am »
Well, I think anthing posted here will certainly be copied onto Jess' forum, so I'm not going to
give you anymore fodder.

Poster Beware.

;)

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 11:33:08 am »
And cowardly?

No more cowardly than copying and pasting a post from any other blog like DailyKos, HuffPo, Bilerico, AfterElton, etc., etc., and discussing it here where the author is not available to defend themselves.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 11:41:29 am »
You know what, I left Bettermost a while ago because of this uncaring cruel attitude towards people.

I'm only uncaring and cruel to people who have done everything they can to disrespect me personally. Disagreeing with me is one thing. Impugning my character is another matter entirely. So you don't like my take on a particular topic? Fine. Let's talk about it. My personal tastes, fears, etc. are not up for debate. And the amateur psychoanalysis that some people apply in the midst of reasoned discussions is not only insulting and disrespectful, but it has been used frequently to discredit a person making a point.

I'm not in this world to like everybody. And there is nobody I don't like who has not given me cause.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 03:25:47 pm »
No more cowardly than copying and pasting a post from any other blog like DailyKos, HuffPo, Bilerico, AfterElton, etc., etc., and discussing it here where the author is not available to defend themselves.

It is cowardly when you cut and paste threads from this site, sneer at them and then make it so others aren't able to respond.  That is cowardly and really sort of pathetic.

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 03:30:02 pm »
It is cowardly when you cut and paste threads from this site, sneer at them and then make it so others aren't able to respond.  That is cowardly and really sort of pathetic.

It's called boredom. 
Sometimes people just want to fight.

You know what they say.......  the people you talk about the most are the ones you are jealous of and see
as a threat.

;)