Author Topic: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts  (Read 90067 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2009, 11:38:05 pm »
If you really truly mean that ... that calling me a liar and ridiculing me isn't insulting ..... then I throw my hands up in the air and give up.  :-\

Susie, I guess we are talking past each other. I don't see ridicule in her posts, I just see that she feels that others have lied about her and feels hurt and injured. Nothing more. I do see that you do not care for the tone of her post over there - but really where is the harm in her venting a little, or you venting back? I can't see any. Jess's feeling were hurt when she was expelled from Bettermost, she is going to vent a little. But that post you quoted is only a very small and isolated example of her 2351 posts on the Retreat - I only have couple of hundred so far. She has created a very interesting site that hopefully will grow. It is not as extensive as Bettermost, but Jess doesn't censor our posts and so I am delighted to post on her site and help her make the site prosper.

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2009, 11:48:09 pm »
Bill, I think it is great your guys have your own forum.
I am sure you are enjoying it.

Wish you guys luck and enjoy life.

:)

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #182 on: July 30, 2009, 08:20:19 am »
I'm certainly not going to pretend to wish a hate-filled site like that well, but it might serve a useful purpose if it serves as a safety valve for whatever anger its members might be stewing in. There have been fewer posts in Current Events recently but the type of additional traffic this area had previously attracted was detrimental to the whole forum so that's not bad news.

I must say it was a nasty surprise to see a Bettermost moderator (not the one who posted a few messages back) posting there.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2009, 09:05:27 am »
There have been fewer posts in Current Events recently but the type of additional traffic this area had previously attracted was detrimental to the whole forum so that's not bad news.

Exactly.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2009, 09:20:34 am »
Exactly.  :)

I know. It's much better when everybody agrees with everything, isn't it? Utopia.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2009, 10:08:29 am »
I know. It's much better when everybody agrees with everything, isn't it? Utopia.

I don't think so. I think it's much better when people voice a variety of opinions in a friendly and respectful manner.  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2009, 10:33:00 am »
I don't think so. I think it's much better when people voice a variety of opinions in a friendly and respectful manner.  :)

And when they are interested in starting discussion, not deliberately provoking conflict.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #187 on: July 30, 2009, 10:41:19 am »
I found the original posts here on BM (that are the basis for the discussion here) to be inflammatory and spiteful more often than not - in my evaluation not aiming at political discussion at all, but at deliberately provoking strife and hurtful reactions. I would predict that once Bettermost members stop paying the new site and whatever goes on there any attention, the need to provoke such reactions will still be just as strong, and will start taking its toll internally on the new site.

But be that as it may, I find the tone here at BM much more polite and corteous now and that is more encouraging and inspiring than lots of confrontational traffic. IMO.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 05:20:43 am by Mikaela »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #188 on: July 30, 2009, 11:14:12 am »
And those posts were inflammatory and spiteful more often than not - in my evaluation not aiming at political discussion at all, but at deliberately provoking strife and hurtful reactions.

I agree completely. Of course, people may disagree on what they think constitutes discussion and an acceptable tone for political discussion especially, but if I want conflict, confrontation, and deliberate provocation, I'll watch Fox News. That's not the atmosphere I want for this community.

I find the tone here at BM much more polite and corteous now and that is more encouraging and inspiring than lots of confrontational traffic. IMO.

I agree. Isn't it nice?  :)

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #189 on: July 30, 2009, 11:24:12 am »
I agree completely. Of course, people may disagree on what they think constitutes discussion and an acceptable tone for political discussion especially, but if I want conflict, confrontation, and deliberate provocation, I'll watch Fox News. That's not the atmosphere I want for this community.

I agree. Isn't it nice?  :)

yes