Author Topic: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts  (Read 90093 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts
« Reply #250 on: August 02, 2009, 06:33:49 pm »
Hmmmmmm I remember someone else who used to use that excuse  ::) ..... doesn't cut it for me though.  :-\

I sometimes wonder if you're just doing this for sport Milo ... it's kinda fun winding everyone up like this isn't it?  :P

The last time I checked out The Retreat, that was over a week ago before I went on vacation, there was some talk of a competition to see who would be kicked out of BM first so I wouldn't put too much credence in these people's posts anymore.  Is Trolling considered a sport?

Anyway, my vacation turned out great!  Despite a poor forecast,  just about everyday gave us wonderful beach weather.  

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #251 on: August 02, 2009, 06:35:57 pm »
Gary, I think the best course of action is not to engage, in any manner, with those that think we are 'tards.

People can only hurt us if we let them.

The kind of people who act like we are useless fucks will turn around some day and be all alone.

;)

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #252 on: August 02, 2009, 06:37:54 pm »
The last time I checked out The Retreat, that was over a week ago before I went on vacation, there was some talk of a competition to see who would be kicked out of BM first so I wouldn't put too much credence in these people's posts anymore.  Is Trolling considered a sport?

Anyway, my vacation turned out great!  Despite a poor forecast,  just about everyday gave us wonderful beach weather.  

Well, good luck to them !

Oilgun, I hope you had a great vacation. 

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #253 on: August 02, 2009, 06:55:53 pm »
Coming here, to me, is about socializing with friends and often requires thinking -- about one's opinions, about how to express one's thoughts, about learning new things, etc. -- so it's not in exactly the same category as watching mindless TV. I have to wonder, though, if when I come here and wind up engaging in bitchfests if I'm making the best use of my time.

I think having discussions with people with a variety of viewpoints can be challenging and rewarding, even when you strongly disagree with one or more of those involved in the discussion.  But I think there sometimes comes a point when the whole thing becomes way too personal.  I think when that happens, you just need to force yourself to walk away.  I'm giving that advice, but I'll admit it's very hard for me to do that sometimes.

I think it's rewarding, whether a bitchfest or just a discussion. 

For many, this is the only outlet we have where we feel free to be honest, direct and upfront (to a point of course).  Perhaps in our daily lives we are surrounded with people who cannot or will not tolerate such openness and honesty and thus we live our lives forever having to crouch our terms, map out in advance how to approach a subject, beat around the bush, avoid some topics of interest all together and basically walk on eggshells with everything that comes out of our mouths.

Internet forums can be a refreshing break from this.

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #254 on: August 02, 2009, 07:02:28 pm »
That reminds me of Big Brother a few years ago.  When they all went into the house, Makosi's first secret task was to get herself nominated for eviction.  If she managed to get the highest number of nominations, she would be exempt from eviction that week.  She could use any means to get nominated, but she had to keep her task a complete secret.

She behaved so badly, winding everyone up by doing and saying the most awful things.  By the end of the week everyone hated her, they'd all yelled at her, fallen out with her, bitched about her..... it was hilarious!!!  :)

Hell !  Maybe there is a $500K prize at the bottom of all this !

:o

Offline oilgun

« Reply #255 on: August 02, 2009, 07:05:49 pm »
Where did you go?  :)

For the last 9 years i've been renting a cottage in Grand Bend on lake Huron:

A 'tard on the beach, lol!

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #256 on: August 02, 2009, 07:10:30 pm »
For the last 9 years i've been renting a cottage in Grand Bend on lake Huron:

A 'tard on the beach, lol!

Awwww....  that looks so nice and peaceful.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #257 on: August 02, 2009, 07:27:54 pm »

That's very very nice!! I believe you now when you say, "Mama, I need crayons."   ;D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #258 on: August 02, 2009, 07:32:22 pm »
I think having discussions with people with a variety of viewpoints can be challenging and rewarding, even when you strongly disagree with one or more of those involved in the discussion.  But I think there sometimes comes a point when the whole thing becomes way too personal.  I think when that happens, you just need to force yourself to walk away.  I'm giving that advice, but I'll admit it's very hard for me to do that sometimes.

I started posting in the current events forum because I was genuinely interested in understanding the viewpoints of Conservative Americans. They've shaped so much of what has happened in the world the last ten years, and yet their views and political actions sometimes seemed completely unintelligible and quite dreadful to me.

On occasion there actually has been some clarification of the background and reasoning behind conservative views here in the BM discussions, and though I did not agree with the views at least it gave me insight in the arguments and what the thinking is. Actual lucidly stated reasons that did not just revolve around "the opposition is a bunch of morons nyah-nyah".

But by and large it has been nothing but name-calling, mocking, spite and ridicule of the "liberals" (who by European standards are positively ultra-conservative in many respects). I haven't gotten much wiser but I sure have gotten more disillusioned about how far people are willing to go and what they will let themselves say and do to "defend" viewpoints that to me in many cases come across as inhumane, prejudiced, nationalistic and sometimes downright dangerous. And as incomprehensible as ever.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #259 on: August 02, 2009, 07:54:35 pm »
But by and large it has been nothing but name-calling, mocking, spite and ridicule of the "liberals" (who by European standards are positively ultra-conservative in many respects).

What about the name-calling, mocking, spite, and ridicule coming from some of the liberals?? I have posted carefully thought out opinions on matter regarding politics, sexual identity, and other current events, only to have some people reply with responses like,"I'm speechless," "Shocking," and "Unbelievable." Some go so far as to impugn me personally rather than debate the ideas I put on the table. That's kind of discourse I'm talking about that comes from the "crybaby" contingent. Its the kind of stuff that makes me lose respect for those individuals.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.