Author Topic: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts  (Read 90742 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts
« Reply #260 on: August 02, 2009, 08:00:53 pm »
Thank you, Susie!  :)  My avatar is a picture of mountains -- drawn in crayons! I didn't draw it, though. I found it on the web.

that is a nice drawing, reminds me of the Sapphire mountains in MT.

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #261 on: August 02, 2009, 08:00:58 pm »
I started posting in the current events forum because I was genuinely interested in understanding the viewpoints of Conservative Americans. They've shaped so much of what has happened in the world the last ten years, and yet their views and political actions sometimes seemed completely unintelligible and quite dreadful to me.

On occasion there actually has been some clarification of the background and reasoning behind conservative views here in the BM discussions, and though I did not agree with the views at least it gave me insight in the arguments and what the thinking is. Actual lucidly stated reasons that did not just revolve around "the opposition is a bunch of morons nyah-nyah".

But by and large it has been nothing but name-calling, mocking, spite and ridicule of the "liberals" (who by European standards are positively ultra-conservative in many respects). I haven't gotten much wiser but I sure have gotten more disillusioned about how far people are willing to go and what they will let themselves say and do to "defend" viewpoints that to me in many cases come across as inhumane, prejudiced, nationalistic and sometimes downright dangerous. And as incomprehensible as ever.

I'm sorry Mikaela.

Sometimes the debate goes too far.  When you try so hard to convince someone you are right, that is when
it gets too personal.

I'm not going to change anyones mind, and I don't even want to try anymore.  I'm just keeping my viewpoints to myself.

:D

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #262 on: August 02, 2009, 08:04:10 pm »
Hey Katherine, maybe you could do a drawing for me to display in my new house... when I get it !!!

Something to remind me of Brokeback Mountain.

;D

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #263 on: August 02, 2009, 08:06:08 pm »
Wrong. I'm not implying squat. Try reading what I actually wrote instead of trying to "interpret" a meaning that is clearly engineered to put me in violation of the board's rules. When I say that some members are A, that does not mean that most members are B. If you want to know the truth, there are actually only a handful of people that come across as any of those things, IMO. I am not indicting the entire population of Bettermost. I'm simply saying that there are some people that I like here, and some people that I don't like. If I were to say anything at all about most Bettermostians, I would have to say that, looking at sheer numbers, I have not encountered most of the members here at all.

Personal attack?? Group attack?? Hardly. My post was no more a personal/group attack than other posters who write that there are homophobes and apologists among the population here. If those comments can stand, then so will mine. I will not voluntarily alter the post to which you refer, because I see no difference between the two statements. Yes, mine was more "colorful"... so what??

Holla back at me when you and the Admin personnel are done with your discussions.

And the beat goes on.  ;)

Milo, tsk, tsk, tsk,  you forgot that nothing not fully approved by the Newspeak Subcommittee of the full Central Committee of the Presidium of the General Party Congress SHALL appear in Pravda, in the lines or between the lines.

My brother, go thy way and transgress no mas. :-X

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #264 on: August 02, 2009, 08:08:25 pm »
I think it's rewarding, whether a bitchfest or just a discussion. 

For many, this is the only outlet we have where we feel free to be honest, direct and upfront (to a point of course).

I should clarify that I don't mean we can't talk in an honest, direct and upfront manner from a variety of viewpoints. I mean when it gets down to hurling insults back and forth I'm not sure it's the best use of my time.

Not sure where you would draw the line, Del, but I don't usually think of you as an insult-hurler. I know you like a vigorous debate, and so do I.

the "liberals" (who by European standards are positively ultra-conservative in many respects).

Wha' ...?!  :o :laugh:

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #265 on: August 02, 2009, 08:10:44 pm »
I don't. Its not personal because I didn't name names.

Milo, Milo, Milo - you are using the old rules Phillip established back in 2006 and which worked so well for so long. You must turn the page to the "New Civility" rules established by the Mods (while in general convention I guess) shortly after the election of Chairman Maobama.

Under the "New Civility" rules, you do not have to make a direct personal attack on a member to be censored, now censorable statements are all in the eye of the beholder.

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #266 on: August 02, 2009, 08:13:36 pm »
As someone here said to me in a recent post !!!

"Hey...life is unfair, and we don't exist to make you happy. Get used to it. "

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #267 on: August 02, 2009, 08:17:16 pm »
Gary, I think the best course of action is not to engage, in any manner, with those that think we are 'tards.

now, now, now - did you mean to write "tards" as in "retards". sadly, that sounds like an attack on the "differently abled".

couldn't that be construed as a personal attack?  :o

personally, I defend your right to say what you mean, and it doesn't bother me if you think my IQ in particular is diminished! But, shouldn't the same rules that have been applied to Milo and his posts, apply also to your posts?

just asking.  :)

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #268 on: August 02, 2009, 08:21:56 pm »
now, now, now - did you mean to write "tards" as in "retards". sadly, that sounds like an attack on the "differently abled".

couldn't that be construed as a personal attack?  :o

personally, I defend your right to say what you mean, and it doesn't bother me if you think my IQ in particular is diminished! But, shouldn't the same rules that have been applied to Milo and his posts, apply also to your posts?

just asking.  :)

Actually, it could be construed as a personal attack, but it is in reference to a comment AJ made in your new forum in describing members of Bettermost.

;)

Ya need to catch up!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #269 on: August 02, 2009, 08:24:49 pm »
Under the "New Civility" rules, you do not have to make a direct personal attack on a member to be censored, now censorable statements are all in the eye of the beholder.

That's going to make discussing political issues kind of difficult.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.