Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: Agents of the Law  (Read 156337 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: New Greenlea Tale: Agents of the Law
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 01:16:20 pm »
The fact things like this don't ever seem to happen to Edna or Wes is also part of the plot!

Yeah, I was wondering about that, too! That would be like having both parents of a household of unruly children take sick at the same time - who takes care of them while the town runs amok!  :laugh:
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 02:15:05 pm »
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too! That would be like having both parents of a household of unruly children take sick at the same time - who takes care of them while the town runs amok!  :laugh:

yeah.  I am a subscriber to Henry Caulfield's "gestalt" psychology, in that I believe there aren't a lot of TRUE accidents, and that there are psychological reasons for a lot of what happens to people that are part of their makeup, and that people resonate to one another - the closer they are, the more they resonate.  And some, like Colson, don't end up on the receiving end of colds, petty ailments, stress ailments etc because he sees himself as a provider and protector, and it makes him insane to be helpless.  Ellery, conversely, falls prey to just about every stress, strain, injury or illness because he is always running his engine too hot, not doing what's right for himself, and no longer able to get away with it the way he did at 25, and ends up needing someone like Colson around who isn't easily derailed.  (Note for the lurkers:  Mary Sue characters never have this profile, because they are wish-fulfillment characters, and someone like Ellery is far too flawed to be anyone's wish-fulfillment dream!)

Nick may end up being an Ellery in 15 years if he keeps pushing, but he's got military discipline around exercise, but Jeremy is caught up in the resonance of the stress of the station and suffering from his first big career challenge which is starting to make him fray at the edges.  But Wes and Edna have a rhythm in their lives, and while the other people they know and love go through High Drama, it only just touches their living room and occasionally their guest room, but doesn't alter the steady state they have achieved over 40 years creating a state of calm that Edna enforces by chasing Wes into his den to talk business, and never lets it completely consume their lives.  It's only those extremely well-organized, steady-state people who can truly anchor a community, and really give to others, because they don't live from one High Drama of their own to the next.  Can you imagine a major accident needing emergency coordination during a winter ice storm like we had in "Chesterfield", but Wes can't come to the phone because he and Edna are having a knock-down drag out fight over Aunt Julia, and he goes MIA while Joe flounders trying to handle the personnel shortage?  Not gonna happen.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 08:11:08 pm »

yeah.  I am a subscriber to Henry Caulfield's "gestalt" psychology, in that I believe there aren't a lot of TRUE accidents, and that there are psychological reasons for a lot of what happens to people that are part of their makeup, and that people resonate to one another - the closer they are, the more they resonate.  And some, like Colson, don't end up on the receiving end of colds, petty ailments, stress ailments etc because he sees himself as a provider and protector, and it makes him insane to be helpless.  Ellery, conversely, falls prey to just about every stress, strain, injury or illness because he is always running his engine too hot, not doing what's right for himself, and no longer able to get away with it the way he did at 25, and ends up needing someone like Colson around who isn't easily derailed.  (Note for the lurkers:  Mary Sue characters never have this profile, because they are wish-fulfillment characters, and someone like Ellery is far too flawed to be anyone's wish-fulfillment dream!)

Nick may end up being an Ellery in 15 years if he keeps pushing, but he's got military discipline around exercise, but Jeremy is caught up in the resonance of the stress of the station and suffering from his first big career challenge which is starting to make him fray at the edges.  But Wes and Edna have a rhythm in their lives, and while the other people they know and love go through High Drama, it only just touches their living room and occasionally their guest room, but doesn't alter the steady state they have achieved over 40 years creating a state of calm that Edna enforces by chasing Wes into his den to talk business, and never lets it completely consume their lives.  It's only those extremely well-organized, steady-state people who can truly anchor a community, and really give to others, because they don't live from one High Drama of their own to the next.  Can you imagine a major accident needing emergency coordination during a winter ice storm like we had in "Chesterfield", but Wes can't come to the phone because he and Edna are having a knock-down drag out fight over Aunt Julia, and he goes MIA while Joe flounders trying to handle the personnel shortage?  Not gonna happen.

Louise, that was fascinating - and all so very true. One of the many interesting things about Nick and Jeremy is that they seem able to kind of switch roles sometimes in being the "protector" and the "protectee."   :)  And they both have that military training, which helps their relationship in more ways than one.  They are at different stages in their lives, professionally, so, yeah, right now Jeremy is under the gun.  But as he continues his education and especially if he sticks with his plan of being an investigative reporter,Nick will have his turn to be under the gun, too. 

I love what you said about Wes and Edna.  There have been so many times that we've seen her stop Wes from talking police work at the dinner table and, yes, chase him into his den to keep it where it belongs!  But I've never taken the time to stop and ponder how deliberate this is and how it is just one of the many building blocks that make them the "well-organized, steady-state people" that they are.  And, oh Lord, cousin Julia!  Haven't thought about that old battle-axe for a while!   :laugh:
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 09:31:16 pm »
Louise, that was fascinating - and all so very true. One of the many interesting things about Nick and Jeremy is that they seem able to kind of switch roles sometimes in being the "protector" and the "protectee."   :)  And they both have that military training, which helps their relationship in more ways than one.  They are at different stages in their lives, professionally, so, yeah, right now Jeremy is under the gun.  But as he continues his education and especially if he sticks with his plan of being an investigative reporter,Nick will have his turn to be under the gun, too. 

I love what you said about Wes and Edna.  There have been so many times that we've seen her stop Wes from talking police work at the dinner table and, yes, chase him into his den to keep it where it belongs!  But I've never taken the time to stop and ponder how deliberate this is and how it is just one of the many building blocks that make them the "well-organized, steady-state people" that they are.  And, oh Lord, cousin Julia!  Haven't thought about that old battle-axe for a while!   :laugh:

I fancy myself that I am writing some semi-serious, long epic tale of ponderous weight and fascinating insight into the human condition in a microcosm here *coff coff*
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 11:56:37 pm »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2009, 01:23:33 pm »
SPOILERS

Always great to see Joe in action - and this sensitive conversation with one of his brethren, so to speak, was an insight into the human condition indeed.  He makes wise use of his equanimity to get what he needs. 

“There’s no reason not to try, but not until I’ve picked the bones clean here,” Joe said.

Oh, I bet Joe is a fine bone picker! Thanks, Louise!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2009, 10:36:12 pm »
SPOILERS

Always great to see Joe in action - and this sensitive conversation with one of his brethren, so to speak, was an insight into the human condition indeed.  He makes wise use of his equanimity to get what he needs. 

“There’s no reason not to try, but not until I’ve picked the bones clean here,” Joe said.

Oh, I bet Joe is a fine bone picker! Thanks, Louise!

unfortunately I am burning the candle at both ends looking for a home and keeping up with daily chapters... and I need to climb into bed early tonight...!  I was yawning at 2 p.m. at the office!!!  Hope y'all can wait a day for the next round!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2009, 11:51:39 pm »
unfortunately I am burning the candle at both ends looking for a home and keeping up with daily chapters... and I need to climb into bed early tonight...!  I was yawning at 2 p.m. at the office!!!  Hope y'all can wait a day for the next round!

or two... I didn't leave work till 5 tonight because I took time off during the day and landed a new home for September.  So that is out of the way.  Tomorrow I won't be free till the afternoon, so ... I guess - look for something then!

*yawns*

Holy moley am I tired!  But then again, I did start the new book and have written 15,000 words in it.  I just need to go back and reread before going forward, and ... it takes time.

If it is pouring tomorrow morning I will NOT be going out hiking in the park!!! It might be a good day to check out that fitness center up the street.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2009, 08:12:40 pm »
We're finally underway again!  I had a bunch of errands to run, then the internet was down, then I was hungry and exhausted and had to cook, and then... well I'm writing now and that's what counts.  I'm hoping to get it all done and uploaded in case a tornado really strikes tonight.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2009, 08:52:33 pm »