Author Topic: Short stories?  (Read 2198 times)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Short stories?
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:18:57 pm »
Anyone else a fan of short stories in general, not just Brokeback Mountain?  I've loved reading them for years. I think it dates back to when my kids were little, and all I had the time and attention span for was a few pages at a time.

Right now I'm reading Maile Meloy's first collection, called Half in Love. Several of the stories are set in Montana - on a ranch, at a truck stop during a blizzard, etc. Others range a long way in distance and in time. They're stunning. They have a quality that reminds me of the scene in the film where we catch glimpses of Ennis between the cars of the moving train...short bright flashes. But at the same time they're detailed and revealing. I find myself wondering what her characters did after she ended their story, even though each story feels very complete.

Any short stories/writers you'd recommend?
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Short stories?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:59:00 pm »
I subscribe to The New Yorker which always has at least one fiction piece per issue. The latest short story I really liked was by Salmon Rushdie (which is probably just a small excerpt from an upcoming novel). I'd love to hear more about your favorite short stories!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Short stories?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:17:53 pm »
Hi Fern!  Nice to see you.  I'm a big fan of Richard Russo, who won the Pulitzer Prize for "Empire Falls."  In addition to several novels, all of which I've loved, he has written a collection of short stories:  "The Whore's Child:  Stories."  Here's a link to the amazon page for reviews, etc.:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375726012/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

Thanks for the rec on "Half in Love."  I'll definitely check it out.   :)

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain