Author Topic: Stop the Hate  (Read 10472 times)

garycottle

Stop the Hate
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:35:21 pm »
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:58:57 am by garycottle »

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Gay Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 03:40:59 pm »
Ritchie Warned on Gay Sherlock Holmes
By Julie Bolcer

Who is going to want to see Downey Jr. and Law make out?

ME ME ME ME ME, I DO! I WANNNA SEE THEM MAKE OUT. I DON;T CARE IF THEY ARE STRAIGHT, THEY ARE HOT !!!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 03:49:48 pm »
So, this man thinks straight women wouldn't want to see two straight men make out !!!!

ROFL.............................

What a dufus !!!!!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 04:05:45 pm »
However, critic Michael Medved deflates the idea in an interview with Tuesday's Page Six column.

"There's not a seething, bubbling hunger to see straight stars impersonating homosexuals," Medved said. "I think they're just trying to generate controversy … They know that making Holmes and Watson homosexual will take away two thirds of their box office. Who is going to want to see Downey Jr. and Law make out? I don't think it would be appealing to women. Straight men don't want to see it." As for who constitutes the other one third of movie audiences, Medved does not specify.

As much as I hate to say it, Medved is partly right. Straight men will not be interested in seeing M2M intimacy onscreen. I'm sure that this resistance diminishes with younger demographics, but its there. On the other hand, I completely disagree about his assessment of women. Even if some women don't find M2M intimacy appealing, I doubt they will find it distasteful enough to avoid seeing the film.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 04:07:53 pm »
"There's not a seething, bubbling hunger to see straight stars impersonating homosexuals,"

Oh, yes there is!!!!  ;D

Matter of fact, as the news of this has been trickling out, I had no interest at all in seeing it, but now that I know Jude Law is in it and there's going to be at least a homoerotic element - suddenly I'm incredibly interested in seeing it!!!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:18:39 pm »
Matter of fact, as the news of this has been trickling out, I had no interest at all in seeing it, but now that I know Jude Law is in it and there's going to be at least a homoerotic element - suddenly I'm incredibly interested in seeing it!!!

Homoerotic or not, David and I would go see this anyway. We both like Downey's acting, and we're both SH fans.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 04:37:04 pm »
Plus, movies that turn on the ear - while not blockbusters - can find their own audiences - see Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 04:53:27 pm »
Aren't critics supposed to review movies AFTER they've been made?
Medved is an idiot, he should stick to pushing those god-awful Veggie Tales animated films, he's the only critic who likes them.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 04:56:07 pm »
Plus, movies that turn on the ear - while not blockbusters - can find their own audiences - see Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Very much so. Films find niche audiences all the time. BBM is like that. Its a big niche, but it is a niche.

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 04:57:46 pm »
Medved is an idiot, he should stick to pushing those god-awful Veggie Tales animated films, he's the only critic who likes them.

:D :D :D :D :D

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 05:05:03 pm »

I don't think he's reviewing it. I think he's speculating on a business decision that Ritchie and his studio are FAR better prepared to make.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 05:25:57 pm »
I don't think he's reviewing it. I think he's speculating on a business decision that Ritchie and his studio are FAR better prepared to make.

I realise that.   He's just pissed about the possible homoeroticism in the film (I'll have to see it to believe it, mind you.)  I'm sure he doesn't give a hoot about Guy Ritchie's movies being successful or not, he's just pushing his agenda.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 05:33:32 pm »
Oh well...  I'm sure Ritchie & Company will change up the script and re-shoot the whole thing now that Michael Medved has weighed in.   

::)  ::)  ::)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 05:37:23 pm »
I'm sure he doesn't give a hoot about Guy Ritchie's movies being successful or not, he's just pushing his agenda.

. . . and giving the film some nice advance PR. 

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 05:47:44 pm »
. . . and giving the film some nice advance PR. 

Yep. Medved has got to be aware that whining about it is just adding to the pre-release buzz.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 07:46:24 pm »
As much as I hate to say it, Medved is partly right. Straight men will not be interested in seeing M2M intimacy onscreen. I'm sure that this resistance diminishes with younger demographics, but its there. On the other hand, I completely disagree about his assessment of women. Even if some women don't find M2M intimacy appealing, I doubt they will find it distasteful enough to avoid seeing the film.

As one who has lived under the yoke of straight men and what they want to see, screw them, bring it on.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 08:02:04 pm »
Well, don't get your hopes too high.  Bed sharing among men was common back then.  As a young man, Abraham Lincoln shared a bed with his friend Joshua Speed for three years. 

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 08:11:24 pm »
Well, don't get your hopes too high.  Bed sharing among men was common back then.  As a young man, Abraham Lincoln shared a bed with his friend Joshua Speed for three years. 

That's very true. Platonic intimacy between men was quite different in the 19th century. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 10:32:36 pm »
I am currently reading The Hound of the Baskervilles and finding quite a bit of "buddy movie-plus" material in it. Also, saw the trailer for Sherlock Holmes...looks enticing!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 10:38:29 pm »
I'll have to put it on my must see movie list.

;D

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 10:55:41 pm »
Gay or straight, this is NOT your father's Holmes and Watson. The action, the stunts, the explosions, the weapons, and all that swagger. Looks like its gonna be fun. I don't know if there will be too many straight guys avoiding this film. We'll see.

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 11:06:54 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUQbmFAE5WI[/youtube]

ooooh looks good :)

It does !!!

I'm anxious to see it now !

:)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 11:58:29 pm »
Ooh, it looks brilliant. Can't wait to see it. I'm especially excited because I see that it also stars one of my favourite British actors, Mark Strong. The trailer gives him star billing. I loved him in the BBC miniseries, "The Long Firm," in which he played the part of menacing 1960s gay London gangster, Harry Starks. He was great in that role and looks scrummy in this film too. What a trio, Downing, Law & Strong! Be still my beating heart! Yep, definitely can't wait!

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline oilgun

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 08:23:33 am »
Gay or straight, this is NOT your father's Holmes and Watson. The action, the stunts, the explosions, the weapons, and all that swagger. Looks like its gonna be fun. I don't know if there will be too many straight guys avoiding this film. We'll see.

I think Medved was right after all,  the actors were just having some fun in regards to the gay claims.  It does look pretty good though.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 05:56:33 pm »
That trailer reminds me so much of the Dark Knight trailers.  The boomy sound effects in the beginning are so similar, and the soundtrack's in the same key.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 06:34:03 pm »
That trailer reminds me so much of the Dark Knight trailers.  The boomy sound effects in the beginning are so similar, and the soundtrack's in the same key.

Yep. Both are in D minor. Good catch.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 10:06:29 pm »
he looks a lot like Andy Garcia in that photo ....nice! :P

I thought so, too. And he also looks Garciaesque in the trailer.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 10:59:32 pm »
he looks a lot like Andy Garcia in that photo ....nice! :P

Mark Strong reminds me of Christopher Meloni. And that's gotta be a goooood thing!  ;D

(Any excuse to post a pic of the sexiest man in the Universe!) 

Christopher Meloni
γνῶθι σεαυτόν