Author Topic: Modern Family on ABC  (Read 7181 times)

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Modern Family on ABC
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 02:42:29 pm »
I get very nervous when I hear talk like stereotypes having a grain of truth to them, and about stereotyping becoming a prejudice and thus "problematic."  Does "problematic" quite handle it?  Would we describe the Holocaust as problematic for Jews? lynchings as problematic for Blacks? bullying, bashing, imprisonment and death as problematic for gays?  How can BetterMostians even use such restrained, mild language when referring to such phenomena?  Check out BetterMost site "Homophobia is still alive and kicking" under the "Safe Haven" umbrella for just a hint of what gays still have to face.  It's not "problematic"--what stereotyping leads to is absolute evil.  Please don't honour it by treading lightly when talking about it.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 11:39:12 am »
Um, x-man, no one here was "honouring" stereotypes.  I believe some of us were just acknowledging that they exist.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 11:32:45 pm »
I cannot understand why you gays would look at such minstrelsy and think that it makes y'all "equal."
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 12:10:19 pm »
Milo, no idea who you're addressing with your post?  Who are "you gays"?  And what is "minstrelsy"?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 09:31:37 pm »
I cannot understand why you gays would look at such minstrelsy and think that it makes y'all "equal."

::)

Please point out where anyone said that this makes us "equal".

Fighting for and achieving our rights is what makes us equal, the Modern Family TV show is for entertainment. 

As for the characters of Mitch & Cam, I can only speak for myself.  I know a number of gay couples are the same as they are, naturally.  I specifically didn't say "act that way" as I know you would then turn it around into "a gay behavior they put on" instead of "being themselves".  That is how they are naturally.  Yes there are some stereotypes there, but there are also truths there as well.

If you can't handle that, it's not the issue of the fans of the show, or the actors, it's your issue.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!