Author Topic: Favorite Filmmakers  (Read 11596 times)

moremojo

Re: Favorite Filmmakers
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 06:24:12 pm »
wow! couldn't agree more. I've always thought The Magnificent Ambersons the most satisfying of Welles' films, even in its (allegedly) butchered state . . . And Ozu's Tokyo Story . . . one of the best films with one of the best lines of all times . . . .
Yeah, Robert Wise, a talented filmmaker who I admire and respect, apparently was engaged to modify Welles's original edit, while the great man was in Brazil working on the never-to-be completed It's All True. Still a great film, despite Wise's unwise interpolations.

From Tokyo Story, paraphrasing from memory: "Life is very disappointing, isn't it?" "Yes, it is" (said with a smile). Setsuko Hara was so inutterably beautiful. I like Ozu's The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice, an overlooked comedy from one year earlier (1952), even more than Tokyo Story, which is still probably Ozu's most famous movie.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 08:01:42 pm »
From Tokyo Story, paraphrasing from memory: "Life is very disappointing, isn't it?" "Yes, it is" (said with a smile).

"Yes, it is" . . . that's the line, and it comes so quickly after the preceding line . . . directly at you from the screen like a spear thrown at your heart . . . truly an amazing moment . . . I've put off seeing other Ozu for too long and intend to see them this year . . . . guess I shouldn't be surprised that somebody else on this board knew this and could quote it! . . . but I AM!
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 08:09:18 pm »
I love "The Magnificent Ambersons" and it's my favorite of Welles' films, too.  And my limit of five is silly.  Especially since I've added almost twenty more since I first started the poll.  Vote for all your favorites, and I'll gladly keep adding more as they're suggested.  :)
No more beans!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 02:57:45 pm »
David Lynch is not on the list...  ???

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 03:13:15 pm »
David Lynch is not on the list...  ???

Oh, my goodness!  It's been so long since I've watched any of his movies, I completely forgot him.  Same goes for Jonathan Demme.  And Ted Demme, for that matter.  And - good grief - Roman Polanski.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2006, 06:38:51 pm »
Barb, it's looking like it would have been easier to go to imdb, get a list of all the directors in the world who have ever lived, deleted Mel Gibson, whoever directed "Police Academy 3" and maybe a few reprehensible others, then copied the rest of the list.

;D

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2006, 08:42:53 pm »
George Cukor, William Wyler and Elia Kazan are in my personal pantheon.

We are on the same wavelength. I have to also add Alfred Hitchcock. Hitchcock was the first director I really started to study when I first got into watching classic film. He always takes me on a great ride!

If I had more than five choices, I would have checked off many more directors. As a suggestion …. You could add Preston Sturges  who directed such great films like “Palm Beach Story,” “Miracle of Morgan’s Creek,” “The Lady Eve” and “Sullivan’s Travels.” And then there is the great Billy Wilder who directed classics like “The Apartment,” “Sunset Boulevard,” and “Double Indemnity.”

Great poll!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 04:06:03 am »
Barb, it's looking like it would have been easier to go to imdb, get a list of all the directors in the world who have ever lived, deleted Mel Gibson, whoever directed "Police Academy 3" and maybe a few reprehensible others, then copied the rest of the list.

;D

ROFL!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006, 04:06:56 am »
I don't seem to be able to change my votes, or add more.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2006, 08:59:54 am »
And I'm not able to change the poll to make it so you can, dear Clarissa.  I swear, I set it up checking the option to allow users to change their votes, but in practice I've never found that to actually work.  I can't even change mine, and I'm the owner of the poll.  Or is that the owner of a lonely heart?  Whichever.
No more beans!