Author Topic: Exhibiting the Agony & Ecstasy of Gay Life  (Read 2411 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Exhibiting the Agony & Ecstasy of Gay Life
« on: August 07, 2009, 06:23:05 pm »
Unable to link, I can't find this article online.  It's from the Vanguard Newsletter that arrived today.  I thought it may be of interest to our California members.

Exhibiting the Agony and Ecstasy of Gay Life

By Matt Walker

Artist Mark Oberlin was one of those kids who never stopped drawing.  A child of rural Wisconsin, he moved to San Francisco after college and began exhibiting in cafés, hair salons and even a dentist's waiting room.

His fortunes changed when friends submitted his work to the international gay art magazine BLUE, which gave him its cover and a major article.

This led to more publications, exhibits, commissions and a second career in graphic design, working for such clients as IBM, Apple and the Chicago Cubs.

Oberlin's fine art, which will be exhibited in the Center's Advocate & Gochis Galleries from July 30th to Sept. 4. often explores homoerotic themes - the dark and light sides of gay sexuality.

He creates an opulent world that depicts a spectrum of desire,. from the euphoria of sexuality, to the aftermath of HIV/AIDS.  Other works, including his angel paintings, serve as guides for altered states of consciousness that travel between Heaven and Hell.

Oberlin's classical training and technical skill lend all of his work a heightened, life-like quality.  The Agony and the Ecstasy evokes that heightened reality in its visual representation of gay life.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Exhibiting the Agony & Ecstasy of Gay Life
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 12:50:47 pm »
The artist has a website, too:

http://www.markoberlin.com/