Author Topic: Mason Dixon, by B73  (Read 13142 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: Mason Dixon, by B73
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2006, 01:40:48 pm »
Yeah, June the stuff I mentioned is mostly sad, but it's a little easier to read because of her whole theory of Ennis and Jack as two souls eternally connected so even in the sadness you get the sense that it isn't over for them. Especially if you keep reading her stories because every one is like a new chance for them. And they are so beautiful that it's worth the sad.

Lake Geneva might be a good place for you to start, there is some sad during the story but it ends happily. The Union Pacific/Signal Crossing/Catch the Westbound might rip your heart out, especially if you read the very last addition "Boxcar" but it's my favorite of all of Maggie's.

Portrait of a Farmer/Unseasonable Storm ends happily so far (though I don't think it's complete...)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 06:26:05 pm »
The Union Pacific/Signal Crossing/Catch the Westbound might rip your heart out, especially if you read the very last addition "Boxcar" but it's my favorite of all of Maggie's.

I've been reading these fics - up to and including "Boxcar" -  over the last few days. I'm very glad I did. Maggie's got a true gift of love and understanding for J&E that she's sharing with us.

Yes, the fic and that ending pretty much *did* rip my heart out - and I recognized the feeling - it was very similar to what I felt walking out of the cinema after having watched BBM those first few times. That's the highest praise I can give a BBM fic, I think. Though it hurt I wouldn't have wanted to miss that feeling for the world.

I've gotten some grief in the past over reading fanfic - some are of the opinion that it's disrespectful, not worthy  of Annie Proulx nor of the original short story and film to either write or read fics - but fics like Union Pacific remind me very strongly why I disagree with such statements.

I very warmly recommend Union Pacific/Signal Crossing/Taking the Westbound, despite all the immense sadness and grief they contain. They also contain so much J&E joy and love, and the ending is........ well, "perfect" surely is the wrong word under the circumstances, but I feel like using it. I can't see how this could have ended any other way. There's so much compassion and beauty in that ending. And it has *all* been written with a tremenduous amount of heart, understanding of and insight into the human condition, -and  respect.

I also thought the many references to the original Jack and Ennis, and the fic characters' pilgrimage to Wyoming and to Brokeback Mountain, and not least  the reason all of that was included in the fic, worked like magic on my mind. The same goes for the consistent and effective use of the imagery and symbolism of the trains. Once she explained what "Taking the westbound" was an euphemism for, I read on with dread in my heart, but I just didn't even consider *not* reading.

I truly do feel that my BBM experience has been enriched by reading these fics.

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 08:23:19 pm »

I truly do feel that my BBM experience has been enriched by reading these fics.

I wholeheartedly agree. Maggie is a truly wonderful talent.

Karen

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 09:41:55 pm »
I agree with everything you said, Mikaela. I have nothing to add, I just wanted to say that  :-*
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 03:33:17 pm »
Thank you!

We really do need a smiling-through-tears smiley for Maggies wonderful fics.......

mvansand76

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 05:32:06 pm »
I remember seeing this link somewhere and I saved it:

http://b73.livejournal.com/52443.html?#cutid1

It has all her story links on one page...

I have only read Mason Dixon and Lake Geneva until now... enough for me for the time being, but I will make sure to check out the rest as soon as I feel ready...