Author Topic: Your Letter to the Editor  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Your Letter to the Editor
« on: August 29, 2009, 01:09:16 am »
Dear Editor . . . . .

Do you have something you’d like to get off your chest? Something that a Letter to the Editor  would resolve? Is there something bubbling away deep within your psyche that’s just busting to get out? Perhaps there’s something about your local community that disturbs you? Alternatively, you may have something good to say about your small corner of the world. Do you have a passionately expressed Letter to the Edit  deep inside, that you’ve always wanted to post?

Well, this is the thread for you! Go for it! Let’s hear it! We want to read your Letter to the Editor!

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Your Letter to the Editor
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 01:16:33 am »

Sydney
(scroll over --> to see complete image)

I was reading my local community newspaper recently. It’s delivered to my door free of charge each week. There’s always a good eclectic mix of stories covering everything that’s going on in my small corner of the world. Be it environmental issues, politics, theatre, the arts, lifestyle, sports; you name it, the Inner West Courier  covers it. There’s a Letters to the Editor  page which sometimes attracts negative feedback from disgruntled local malcontents. They’re usually in the minority. However, in the August 18 edition of the IWC,  the naysayers were out in force. And there were also several negatively themed articles from staff journalists, adversely commenting on such issues as local public transport and health services. 

It’s true that I do possess a somewhat Pollyannaesque outlook on life! I admit it! The glass is always half full for me! I guess that was the reason why I felt compelled to pick up my pen (um, keyboard) and opine a Letter to the Editor.  I was thrilled to see that it was published in the August 27 edition! Here it is:

"Oh my goodness, what a lot of whingeing and moaning and complaining goes on in this newspaper (Inner West Courier,  August 18).

I live in the best area of the most beautiful city on earth and I give thanks for that every day. I live in Sydney’s Inner West.

I have the excellent services of Royal Prince Alfred Hospital nearby, providing every world-class health service I could ever wish for. And it’s all for free! Sure, I know, I pay for it with my taxes. But I’m proud to pay my taxes in this wonderful country.

A short walk down the end of my street is the light rail, where I can get the tram to the city for $2.50. Yes, just $2.50! I’ve never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for the tram to arrive and the carriages are always spotlessly clean and the conductors courteous. All that, and it’s also a fun, scenic, harbourside ride too.

There are excellent supermarkets and cinemas nearby at Broadway and Leichhardt. And if I feel the need for a walk on the wild side, Newtown is there for me.

I am surrounded by the galleries and café society that makes the Inner West the envy of our fellow Sydneysiders.

I give thanks for all these wonderful blessings every day. Won’t you join me in doing so?"

My letter to the editor is a personal expression of how I feel about my home town, Sydney, where I was born and raised; specifically the Inner West area of Sydney, where I presently live. It is not intended to reflect adversely upon any other area of Sydney, nor any other country or city.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Your Letter to the Editor
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:35:02 am »
good on you Kerry!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/