Author Topic: Writer's Thread?  (Read 8243 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Writer's Thread?
« on: August 06, 2006, 10:17:48 am »
Would anyone be interested in a subject devoted to writers who are working on books/articles/poetry that is NOT fanfiction?? Just wondering...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

mvansand76

Re: Writer's Thread?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 11:18:53 am »
Yes, definitely, I am still ( >:() recovering from hand surgery, but as soon as I am recovered, I want to start writing again, non-fanfiction short stories, I think it would be great to be able to share stories, mine will be mostly in Dutch, but I am planning to write in English too, but seeing that there are people from all over the world here, that should be no problem, I guess!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 03:07:59 am »
I hear there is going to be a space for something like this on the new site, so I'm looking forward to contributing to it.

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 10:10:32 am »
I would love a writer's thread, I think that's a great idea! I have a creative writing degree and am in the process of applying to grad schools for fiction writing but since I've graduated I haven't exactly been writing as much as I should be  :-\  This could be really helpful!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

mvansand76

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 11:31:16 am »
I have a creative writing degree and am in the process of applying to grad schools for fiction writing but since I've graduated I haven't exactly been writing as much as I should be  :-\  This could be really helpful!

I have a degree in creative writing too, :D I studied all sorts of writing, prose, screenwriting and poetry in university. I really hate it that I am not able to write now because of my hand, and, as you describe it, this could put some more (positive) pressure behind getting back into daily creative writing and getting back that creativity that you need!

This is a great idea!!!!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 04:10:02 pm »
Can I ask what happened to your hand? I would hate it if I couldn't write... even though i haven't been doing much of my own writing, I've been keeping myself satisfied with journal writing and a little fan fic (I swear I never would have even thought about fan fic until this movie  :-\ )  But at least it's writing. 

I would love to read some work by fellow brokies... I hope this thread works out!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 10:46:44 am »
Can I ask what happened to your hand? I would hate it if I couldn't write... even though i haven't been doing much of my own writing, I've been keeping myself satisfied with journal writing and a little fan fic (I swear I never would have even thought about fan fic until this movie  :-\ )  But at least it's writing. 

I would love to read some work by fellow brokies... I hope this thread works out!

I've had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome for three years now and in June I had an operation on my hand to release the nerve compression that the carpal tunnel was causing. This is the worst thing that can happen to you when you are a writer I can tell you that, the syndrome makes it virtually impossible to type or write for more than 5 minutes at a stretch and the pain takes away most of your creativity...

I had never even HEARD of fanfiction before BBM, I kind of enjoy it, some of it is really good! I haven't written anything, though, I don't intend to. Which fanfiction have you written, have you got it posted somewhere?

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 04:44:40 pm »
I've had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome for three years now and in June I had an operation on my hand to release the nerve compression that the carpal tunnel was causing. This is the worst thing that can happen to you when you are a writer I can tell you that, the syndrome makes it virtually impossible to type or write for more than 5 minutes at a stretch and the pain takes away most of your creativity...

I had never even HEARD of fanfiction before BBM, I kind of enjoy it, some of it is really good! I haven't written anything, though, I don't intend to. Which fanfiction have you written, have you got it posted somewhere?

Carpal Tunnel is rough, my brother's girlfriend is a sculptor and had the same surgery a little over a year ago on both wrists.  She's doing well now though, back to workng on her art like nothing happened though it took awhile.  I hope your healing goes well, I can understand what you mean about the pain taking away your creativity.

I had no intention at all of writing fan fiction and though I've been enjoying reading some of it, i've been a little ashamed of it too... but I gave that up and now I do it anyway.  then a little while ago, when i realized I hadn't written anything in months because of some personal issues which are causing serious writer's block, I decided it couldn't hurt to do a little fan fic, I wouldn't take it too seriously and at least I would be writing.  I only have one chapter up so far and am working on a second.  It's called "That Little Bit of Hope" and it's on brokebackslash.  The first chapter's a bit rough, it was just a quick first draft, but I'm enjoying the second and should have it up tonight or tomorrow.  You're welcome to check it out!  I'll post a link to it on the fan fiction board.

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 07:13:06 am »
I will definitely check it out, when will you be posting the link?

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 10:51:00 pm »
I will definitely check it out, when will you be posting the link?

I just posted it, I wanted to wait until I had the second chapter up... it's on the fanfic board!  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 12:30:06 pm »
There definitely seems to be some interest in this, although I think there might be some way to reach out to writers of fanfiction too. I will see what I can get started, and perhaps some moderator who is also a writer can tell me how to proceed with Philip??

I am working on six books, five nonfiction and 1 fiction. The novel is the one that's capturing all my attention now, and I am most apprehensive about because I never thought I had the imagination to write fiction. The title of the novel is "The."

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 02:40:08 pm »

I am working on six books, five nonfiction and 1 fiction.

Wow, that's great, can you tell us what these books are about?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 04:57:55 pm »
There definitely seems to be some interest in this, although I think there might be some way to reach out to writers of fanfiction too. I will see what I can get started, and perhaps some moderator who is also a writer can tell me how to proceed with Philip??

I am working on six books, five nonfiction and 1 fiction. The novel is the one that's capturing all my attention now, and I am most apprehensive about because I never thought I had the imagination to write fiction. The title of the novel is "The."

I saw this thread a few weeks ago and now a few new postings today. Louise and I would really like to encourage the community of writiers here at bettermost...and not just fanfiction writers. We are even considering a name change for the forum to something like "Creative Writing and Fan Fiction/Poetry" although we have only discussed that between ourselves.

Anyway, FR...if you want to post links to your novel, or excerpts for criitique or whatever, please feel free to join us over in the fanfiction forum. You are welcome to join us even if what you are writing is not fanfiction.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 07:02:03 pm »
Thank you Leslie, I will definitely try that out! But how will writers of nonfanfiction know to come over there? Maybe Phillip could put up a banner ad. Thanks for yr interest, Jess, Mandy, and mvans. I have been working on the nonfiction books for several years. One is a cookbook, another is a nature journal, a third is a history of the area where I live, the fourth is sort of a text book about my profession (communications, natch  ;)) and the fifth is about literary criticism for book club members. It delves into reading "in layers" and takes the reader through five different novels/stories from different eras. Of course, Brokeback Mountain is one of them.

"The," my novel, is kind of hard to explain. It's about Theses and Athena, or about the relationship between "a" and "the," or about an American man and a British woman. And there are some animals in a desert, and a battle between Romania and Iran, and a bunch of other things. It's a lot like the performance of Broken-Arsed Mountain!!

mvansand76

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 06:36:57 am »
Thank you Leslie, I will definitely try that out! But how will writers of nonfanfiction know to come over there? Maybe Phillip could put up a banner ad. Thanks for yr interest, Jess, Mandy, and mvans. I have been working on the nonfiction books for several years. One is a cookbook, another is a nature journal, a third is a history of the area where I live, the fourth is sort of a text book about my profession (communications, natch  ;)) and the fifth is about literary criticism for book club members. It delves into reading "in layers" and takes the reader through five different novels/stories from different eras. Of course, Brokeback Mountain is one of them.

"The," my novel, is kind of hard to explain. It's about Theses and Athena, or about the relationship between "a" and "the," or about an American man and a British woman. And there are some animals in a desert, and a battle between Romania and Iran, and a bunch of other things. It's a lot like the performance of Broken-Arsed Mountain!!

Wow this sounds really interesting. Good idea of you Leslie to change the name of the fanfiction board. I am really now only in the process of starting to write again, and it will be in Dutch at first, because that is my native language, so there will not be a lot of people on this board who will be able to read the short stories in Dutch, but I might start writing in English too if I feel like I am able too. I work as a English-Dutch (vice-versa) translator for a market research company, but that's all technical writing, so I am not sure if I will be able to write directly in English... Anybody else who writes in English, while this is not his/her first language?

:)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 10:57:27 am »

This sounds really interesting! I would love to read some of it if you feel like posting a couple of chapters...

injest

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 11:03:10 pm »
I have started an online writing course...I am very excited about it..

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 12:55:14 am »
Cool!  Where did you find it?  Can you tell us more about it?

Thanks...

(It may seem silly, but lately I have been longing for high school English class, where you get to write your opinions on stories/characters/plots/themes, etc... then your teacher gives you comments, and you get to do other little writing tasks...)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

injest

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 01:03:10 am »
well the lady is letting me take it for free...YAY...

my first assignment this week is to collect words...not to worry about the spelling or even the meaning but the sound and the feel

and to put them in groups...

(I am not supposed to look at next weeks assignment until next week!)

and I know it is simple but I don't know anything and will admit it!!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 01:12:33 am »
is it with a group of other students, via a college or university, or just a one-on-one kinda thing?
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

injest

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 01:50:05 am »
this is a one on one thing....but she does workshops for ladies...I will ask her when she is doing the next one...that would be SO cool if a group of US could take it together don't you think??

would anyone else be interested?? this lady is a professional...not slash...just reg creative writing!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 07:18:57 am »
I'd be interested in learning more about it, yes...

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 09:37:05 am »
I would be interested too!
 :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 11:15:20 am »
well the lady is letting me take it for free...YAY...

my first assignment this week is to collect words...not to worry about the spelling or even the meaning but the sound and the feel

and to put them in groups...

(I am not supposed to look at next weeks assignment until next week!)

and I know it is simple but I don't know anything and will admit it!!
Another group of people is also collecting words...that would be the ABC Playerz!! I am one of them, and I have words scribbled all over my notebook, my planner, and xeroxed copies of the story...and several dictionaries on my desk! It's an obsession, I tell U. I suspected this might be improving my writing, but it's also a lot of fun. U should try it, all U writers and  writers-in-training out there.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 04:40:19 pm »
I hope everyone who is interested in writing has checked out the Writer's Conference happening in Casper, Wyoming, in mid-October. Adrien del mar posted about it today. I'm thinking of driving up from Denver.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2006, 04:43:44 pm »
where did he post about it? That sounds really interesting, is there a fee or anything? I might be able to combine a trip with looking at grad schools if I could work it out...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2006, 05:36:29 pm »
He posted it in Movie Resources and you can check it out here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=4224.msg83331#msg83331

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2006, 04:46:40 pm »
I thought some of you might be interested in this... a new literary prize for unpublished manuscripts by authors without agents...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060913/ap_on_en_ot/books_new_prize