Author Topic: Finally...  (Read 18475 times)

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
Finally...
« on: August 06, 2006, 02:23:57 pm »
In December, when I was telling the world what an amazing film I'd just seen & that everyone had to see Brokeback Mountain, one of the people I told was a married male friend & former police officer.  Unlike another male officer friend, he did not step back from me while staring & shaking his head 'no' so I thought there was some hope there.

Well, he called me, first thing in the morning as I was just sitting down with a cup of coffee & said, "you'll never guess what I did."  Well, almost 7 1/2 months later I was not thinking it was about the film suggestion but it was.

He said, I had to call you!  "I watched Brokeback.  I was having some trouble in the first hour or so, kinda slow... (uh oh, I thought) but it was one of the best films I have EVER seen!"   ;D  "I would give it a solid 'A'.  Doesn't pass Pulp Fiction, but it's right up there in the top of my all-time list."

He went on to say (he'd also seen Crash, Munich, Capote...) "I CAN'T believe it didn't get the Oscar!  It's unbelievable.  And Heath - who won the Oscar - Capote?  My God, Heath was so powerful in that movie.  He deserved the Oscar absolutely".  - discussion ensued -

I hate to say it, but I was astonished  :o  He is a huge film fan but he sounded just like a Brokie!!!  He talked about how he thought Jake died (he called them Heath & Jake throughout the conversation) and how much he thought Lureen knew (called her Anne); about Jake's mother & that she knew but he wasn't positive about the father; about how in the last scene w/ his daughter that Heath had finally realized how important love is!  And he's only seen it once.  Plus, he said he thought I was nuts that I'd seen it more than once (if he ONLY knew) but that he wanted to watch it again cause he may have missed some things!

He also said he wished he's seen it without having seen any of the trailers as he knew something bad was going to happen & kept waiting for that point.  He also praised Ang Lee for not "slamming you in the face with anything like they did with Crash."  He did admit that he was waiting for some kind of "preaching" scene too & was relieved that it was simply "their story."

I asked if he would recommend it to his straight male friends & he said he certainly would, but not to people that he already knew would be unreceptive (unlike me who just barreled ahead). - More discussion. -

He watched it with his wife & he said that he loved it more than her!  He also asked her if she would be more shocked if she saw him kissing a man or another woman.  (She said she wasn't sure but didn't think she'd be happy either way.)

I'm not exactly sure why, but I am just so happy right now!

"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Finally...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 02:42:02 pm »
I know how happy that would make me, that a skeptic or naysayer became an enthusiast.  And remembered the conversation too and took the initiative to call me and tell me about it.  It's got to happen to me at least once.  Though there are so many people I don't seem to get to talk to at all about movies.  I hold back sometimes with people I 'know' won't like it.  And I am only disappointed when people I 'think' will, don't.  But we know so little of others' emotional make-ups.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 05:58:02 pm »
Brilliant Silk.  How did you manage to stop yourself sounding smug?  Or did you?

Just wait until he sees it the second time, and rather than being comforted by the fact that he knows what's going to happen, everything in the "boring" first hour or so is that much more devastating, especially when the dozy embrace ensues!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 06:00:23 pm by Aussie Chris »
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 06:04:50 pm »
he wanted to watch it again cause he may have missed some things!

Oh, how little he knows!!!  ;)

That's great, Silk. I can see why you'd be excited. I have prompted exactly one person to see it -- one of my best friends, who went on to see it several more times and likes it but does not share a Brokie-level devotion. A few other friends have seen it and were in the "it's pretty good" (!!?!) camp. I have managed to talk a few people into appreciating it more than they otherwise would.

But nobody else I know has seen it, despite my glowing reviews. Or if they have, they haven't mentioned it to me. No other friends. Not my mother-in-law (my father-in-law is a lost cause). Not even my husband.

Am I that unpersuasive?!

Anyway, it's exciting when someone takes your advice and turns out to agree with you! Good going.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 10:33:45 pm »
Isn't it great when someone you know, and you have suggested to watch the movie, comes back with a review like your friend has....

Unfortunately, it seems, that in most cases that is NOT what happens and I am at a loss as to WHY???

I was talking to another brokie the other day, about the same thing, and I said, that sometimes, I think that brokies like us, have actually been selected....by whom I dont know, but I have this vision of a theatre full of people, watching the movie, and some higher being, is there tapping some of us on the shoulder, and thus enabling us to take the movie into our soul.

How many of us has had a movie do this to them before?.....how many of us had ever known about message boards, let alone, sought one out, before we saw this movie?.......

Why did it affect us like this, and not others?.....

Did someone pick us out so we would all meet up and become friends, did someone pick us out, because we would understand and maybe do something about the bigotry in our society.....did someone pick us out, because we were in need of something like this, in our life......???????

I believe that I am special, because I was picked out, I believe that everyone else on this board is special too, and I believe, that there is a reason, why it was US.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 12:31:51 am »

Did someone pick us out so we would all meet up and become friends, did someone pick us out, because we would understand and maybe do something about the bigotry in our society.....did someone pick us out, because we were in need of something like this, in our life......???????

I believe that I am special, because I was picked out, I believe that everyone else on this board is special too, and I believe, that there is a reason, why it was US.

I know this analogy will sound ridiculous, but back in the late '70s, when I liked reading Stephen King novels, my favorite was "The Stand," which is about a biological-warfare disease getting loose from a research lab and quickly spreading around and killing most of the population -- except for a small diverse group of people from around the United States, the protagonists of the novel, who happen to be immune to the disease. After everyone else is dead, those chosen people all start having the same vision that leads them to Las Vegas, and while most of them are good, a few of them are evil, and there's this apocalyptic showdown ...

OK, so I don't think any of us are evil, and I have no particular desire to go to Vegas and engage in Armageddon. But in a way, it seems a little like that. They way all those millions of people saw the movie, but only WE saw its greatness ...

But even that sounds kind of freaky, I guess.  :-\

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 11:36:21 am »
And I am only disappointed when people I 'think' will, don't.  But we know so little of others' emotional make-ups.

I have been disappointed too.  I told everyone that came into my line of sight (in dentist offices, in grocery lines, at work - I know, a bit much) that it was the greatest film ever, that I couldn't sleep, that it makes you think about your life... 

And then the reactions came in from friends /co-workers.  They'd watched it, but they didn't see it! 

So, I sought affirmation elsewhere...IMDb, PT & here  ;D .  And I assume that's what brought others here - so, it is like that story - we have all been lead to a place togeather.  And maybe it is because of a need - something from our lives.  As I told one of the younger guys at work, maybe you just haven't had any fear or regret yet.

"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 12:39:27 pm »
I started a thread on this a while back. While there were a lot of interesting ideas, I don't think any of them explained it once and for all.

There are a lot of great people here, but aside from our feelings about the movie/story I haven't noticed anything we have in common that we don't also have in common with some of the people I know who liked BBM but aren't obsessive about it. So it's still a complete mystery to me.

???

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 12:52:47 pm »
On another message board, I had used the words "chosen ones" and got a bit blasted by some as being pompous, or possibly referring to myself and others as being "chosen" in a religious type of way, but I truly believe that, of all the people who have seen this movie, a group of us feel as though we "got it", hence Bettermost and all the other websites and message boards.

Honestly, I don't watch all that many movies.  I've never even heard of a "message board" before.  I came onto the Internet in search of some solace and to find out if I was going crazy...

Now I know I'm not, and feel safe and secure in the knowledge that I am a "Brokie" or "Brokaholic" or whatever title fits anyone who is obssessed with the story of Ennis and Jack, as I am, and we all are...

Love to All....
...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 01:22:38 pm »
I've been profoundly moved by movies before.  But not to the extent that any of the characters have stayed with me for more than a few days afterwards.  More that they've made me examine my life and I've gone on to do some more of that without giving much more thought to the characters themselves.  But well before the Gyllenhaalism set in I was so devastated by these characters (really, at and after my second viewing is when it started) that I couldn't think about their fates without fighting back tears.  And I couldn't stop thinking about their fates.  I fell in love with both of them.  I still am and always will be.  I'll be driving by the big signs for "Boca Del Mar" and "Del Mar Avenue" and the "Del Mar Plaza" years from now and I won't be able to help but smile.  And I'll say things I've said for years like "I'm a sick twist" and "straight up with a twist" years from now and smile, too.  No matter what comes and goes, these characters will always be in my heart.  And that's never happened to me with any fictional character before and I doubt it ever will again.  Jesus H., nothing like this.
No more beans!

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 01:42:29 pm »
I too have wondered why THIS movie has affected me in this way.  I have seen hundreds of movies that made me look at things differently but have never stayed with me like this.  Most nights Jack and Ennis are the last thing I think of before I go to sleep and are with me the next morning and through out the day.  I am so glad I decided to watch BBM.  Maybe we are the "chosen" ones that will change the world.  I have never seen my self as an activist but now when I hear someone making snide remarks about "gays" I give them an earful.  Escpecially when someone says it is a choice.  I said, How can you think it is a choice?  Who would chose to be discriminated against and hated for how and who they love.  No one would choose that pain.  Did you "choose" to love women.  Why is it a choice for them.  As I have said before, I have a very close friend that is gay and I think if I heard someone say something about them now that I would be the one doing the bashing. 

Sorry for the rant.  I just do not understand how anyone can see this movie and not "get it".  I know movies affects people differently, but all you have to do is look at this board and others to know there is something to it.  It is not about being gay or not gay.  It is about being in love and all the joy, pain, and loss that comes with it.  Straight people (me) should thank God everyday that they can love like they can.  Everyone should be so lucky. 
I wish I knew how to quit you.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 01:54:17 pm »
I too have wondered why THIS movie has affected me in this way.  I have seen hundreds of movies that made me look at things differently but have never stayed with me like this.  Most nights Jack and Ennis are the last thing I think of before I go to sleep and are with me the next morning and through out the day.  I am so glad I decided to watch BBM.  Maybe we are the "chosen" ones that will change the world.  I have never seen my self as an activist but now when I hear someone making snide remarks about "gays" I give them an earful.  Escpecially when someone says it is a choice.  I said, How can you think it is a choice?  Who would chose to be discriminated against and hated for how and who they love.  No one would choose that pain.  Did you "choose" to love women.  Why is it a choice for them.  As I have said before, I have a very close friend that is gay and I think if I heard someone say something about them now that I would be the one doing the bashing. 

Sorry for the rant.  I just do not understand how anyone can see this movie and not "get it".  I know movies affects people differently, but all you have to do is look at this board and others to know there is something to it.  It is not about being gay or not gay.  It is about being in love and all the joy, pain, and loss that comes with it.  Straight people (me) should thank God everyday that they can love like they can.  Everyone should be so lucky.

Well-said.  This movie has made me a bit of an activist, too.  I swear before it, if someone uttered the 'n' word or the 'f' word or any other bigoted slurs in my presence, I'd just change the subject and then kick myself later for not letting them have it.  Now it's no problem at all for me to say, "I would really appreciate it if you don't use that word around me."  I sometimes get an argument, but I'll tell ya what.  They never say it in front of me again, nor do they bash other races or gays in front of me again without at least stopping themselves first and saying something snide like, "Oh, I'd better not say that - Barb'll get mad."  I just say, "Good call - you're probably right" and go on about my merry way.  I like to hope that if they think twice in front of me now, they think twice in front of everyone else.

I love your response to the ignoramus "choice" argument, too, which I think is right up there with the top three most dumbass ideas a human could have - that someone would actually choose a life of ostracism and stigmatism, and in many cases, potential physical violence.  Please.  That's one of those where the second I hear it, I'm pretty much done hearing anything else that person has to say.  Sorry to be so black and white about it, but I don't see any other way around it.
No more beans!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 02:23:01 pm »
How many times do you read a post on here, and think"thats what I do...thats what I say....thats how I feel.....

It really makes you feel that the feelings we are all feeling are so much the same, it is a bit bewildering...

I was just reading the last few posts, where straight people have said they are actively verbal in standing up for gay people against slurs and idiotic phrases such as "they chose their life".....

I find it impossible to hold my tongue too, in such cases, now.....when once before, I would not agree, but I wouldnt say anything.....now I feel it is my right, to voice my opinion, now I feel, because i have seen it first hand in the movie, that I can make an honest and worthwhile opinion....now I feel, that if someone would sit down and listen to what I have to say, I might be able to change their ideas on things....or even sit down and watch the movie, they might change their ideas....

I said earlier in this thread, that I think we have been selected.....from what I can see from these message boards...the people most affected seem to be gay men, and straight women....

I am in no way, making a feminist statement here, just an observant thought......but I was just thinking, maybe it will be the straight female community that will eventually be the voice that will one day make the necessary changes, so that people in the gay community will have a better way of life.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 02:39:18 pm »
maybe it will be the straight female community that will eventually be the voice that will one day make the necessary changes, so that people in the gay community will have a better way of life.

Well, I think it will be mainly people in the gay community who will and should take the lead and get the credit. Though straight women certainly can be supportive. As can straight men, for that matter!

Funny -- I just finished reading a new book about certain feminist issues in which the author argues that women's-rights activists should follow the examples of gay-rights activists, whom she considers more successful in achieving public empathy. (Too complicated to go into here, but the gist was that feminists should focus on arguing in favor of human values rather than freedom of choice.)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 02:56:22 pm »
Not wanting to get into anything feminist here, as I am NOT a feminist.....

I think what helps any minority group, is having a majority group support them, as was what I was trying to say in my previous post....Straight women, have more contact with straight people, straight women wouldnt be looked at as having something to gain personally from their support of the gay community, so therefore may have more credibility among the straight community on this issue.....

Of course the gay community, will end up having to do most of the work, but these boards have indicated the strong support from straight women and I think that should be used to some advantage by the gay community.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 03:49:22 pm »
Not wanting to get into anything feminist here, as I am NOT a feminist.....

Why not, Katie? Just curious.

Anyway, definitely we should all support each other. Women (of any orientation) have their own struggles, too, so it goes both ways.

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 04:19:58 pm »
We should support each other just for the simple fact that God made each of us.  I am Catholic.   I support and believe most things that I have been taught about the Church.  Our priest who is mine and my husbands age (35-38) told us that we should love everyone no matter what.  He said we should not judge someone for simply loving someone.  He also told us to embrace all of our brothers and sisters in love.  We all are a part of God and God is love.  That is why people through religion up.  Anytime someone does not understand something then it must be a sin.  I say let those people put their lives on public display and I am sure they have some "dirty little secret".  I can not stomach religious wackos.  I do not know what Bible they read.   

I am a feminist.  I believe everyone no matter sex, race, or sexual orientation should have the same rights.  I also think that if more people would take a stand when they hear people spouting ugly and discriminatory remarks towards other people it would help.  People just do not want to get involved.  I have had people say that I must be bi-sexual because I am "for" gays.  I say So what if I am.  It is nobodys business but mine.  Years ago I did not understand what being gay meant.  As most I was taught that it was wrong.  Then I had the privelege to be good friends with both men and women that are gay. Some of them I had no idea until they told me.   It opened my eyes to the fact that they are just like any "normal" person.  They love with the same passion that we do.  It is just different from the way I love.  More power to them.  Everyone deserves and is entitled to love any one they choose. 

Now I will get off my soapbox. 

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 06:03:25 pm »
Hey Mom, stay on that soapbox!  We need more people like you who have something to say, and say it with conviction. There is absolutely no difference between straight and gay people EXCEPT THE PARTNER IN THEIR BED!!  Thank you for letting me share a corner of the soapbox.....Doug

Offline Katie77

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 06:06:12 pm »
Why not, Katie? Just curious.

Anyway, definitely we should all support each other. Women (of any orientation) have their own struggles, too, so it goes both ways.

No reason latjoreme, i just didnt want this thread to get into "feminism"....and I didnt want my opinion to sound like it was feminist....i was just making a point.....

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 10:22:38 pm »
No reason latjoreme, i just didnt want this thread to get into "feminism"....and I didnt want my opinion to sound like it was feminist....i was just making a point.....

True, a big debate of feminism would be way OT. I'm just always surprised when a woman says she is not a feminist.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 10:37:14 pm »
True, a big debate of feminism would be way OT. I'm just always surprised when a woman says she is not a feminist.

Oh dear, still not wanting this to turn into a feminist debate.....but now you have me intrigued.....as briefly as you can, tell me what " a feminist" is.....then I can tell you honestly whether I am one or not.....

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 12:35:11 am »
Oh, I just had to take this one ladies, if I may.  A feminist, brief and simple, is a female who believes her social, political, and economic rights to be equal to a man's.

There are many females who do not believe this creed, per se, but who will argue that she is entitled to the same pay as a man for the same job, but also believes a man should hold the door open and allow her to pass first.  This is a "fence-sitter", one who hasn't decided where she wants to be, and when confronted to take a side, will say it is just common manners for men to hold the door open.  And we are suppose to accept that; but what if I say it is a woman's place to stay home and run the house?  She gets all upset and calls me a chavuinist.  So you see, you can't support both theories; you've got to be, or not to be (paraphrasing the Bard).

I personally believe a woman should receive the same pay as me for the same job, and I don't mind opening a door for her, but at the same time, I don't want her to expect it from me simply because I am a man.  I also personally believe that men should get off their duffs and do some housework.  It ain't gonna kill ye (as my ancient aunt says).  So does that make me a feminist?  Yes, I believe so....

There, ladies, I've said it.  Now, Katie77, where do you fit in?

Doug

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 12:51:00 am »
Katie, I'd say Doug expressed it quite well. The only point I would dispute (and Doug contradicted himself on this a bit in his post) is this:

A feminist, brief and simple, is a female

I don't think a feminist necessarily has be female. But I'd say the rest of the sentence, that a feminist is a person "who believes her social, political and economic rights to be equal to a man's," more or less sums it up.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 01:09:08 am »
Your are correct.  I should have used "person".  Thanks, latjoreme...Doug

By the way, I wanted to start a new subect page but cannot find how to do it.  I did find a page that explains something about it, but when I started to post it, it didn't work.  Can you tell me how to start a new subject?  Thanks

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 01:12:37 am »
As alway, I find what I need after I post for help.  The "new topic" is at the bottom of the "forum" page...Doug

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 01:20:09 am »
As well as at the top. Let me know if you have any other questions. You can send a PM if it's easier.

Katherine

Offline Katie77

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 06:24:39 am »
Oh, I just had to take this one ladies, if I may.  A feminist, brief and simple, is a female who believes her social, political, and economic rights to be equal to a man's.

There, ladies, I've said it.  Now, Katie77, where do you fit in?

Doug

Well I guess if that is the description of a feminist, then i am a feminist

But why use the word "feminist"....i am a female, my husband is a male, and our marriage and our life is on equal terms.....

On the positive side.....I appreciate that women had to fight for what we take for granted these days, so hopefully, the same will apply to the gay community...One day they might look back at these times and wonder "how could people have ever been so cruel and naive"....lets hope so.....

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 09:14:43 am »
As for the feminist: all people should be feminist, because women's rights are Human Rights.

Equal human rights belong to every single human being on this planet, no matter what sex, race, sexual orientation, bodily shape, financial situation, religion, nationality, or whatever. It's as simple as that.

Discrimination of human beings is always the same: call it sexism, Nazism, racism - it always means to worship one human being about another. And this is simply wrong, wrong, wrong!
It does not matter if a person is gay, Hispanic or rich like the Queen herself, it matters if this person is a upright person or an a**ho...

, but back in the late '70s, when I liked reading Stephen King novels, my favorite was "The Stand,"
Katherine, it gets more and more funny, this is another thing we have in common: I'm not a King-fan, but back in the 80s I read my share of King's books, too. And The Stand was by far my favourite. It's the only Kinng book I really loved and read more than one time (though I think today I would not like it *that* much anymore).

Katie, this is the million dollar question  ;D

Here is the thread Katherine mentioned (and started back then):

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2692.0

We didn't find the one and only answer and I think we never will. But this thread is 5 pages full of insightful thoughts about this question. Check it out, if you're interested.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 10:30:28 am »
And The Stand was by far my favourite. It's the only King book I really loved and read more than one time (though I think today I would not like it *that* much anymore).

Me too, Chrissi! And (more OT) I haven't read a Stephen King novel in probably 20 years. But a few years ago I did read his memoir/writing manual called "On Writing." It was quite interesting -- he tells about how he threw the manuscript for "Carrie" away and his wife pulled it out of the wastebasket, blew the cigarette ashes off of it, and urged him to get it published, how he went from a struggling writer with a teacher's day job to suddenly wealthy when he sold the paperback rights, how he became an alcoholic who could drink a case of beer a day (he doesn't drink now) ... He comes off as smart but not smug, not snooty about his wealth or success, with ordinary interests and tastes but impressive insights about writing, a very likeable guy.

And you may know that for the past few years, King has been publishing stories in the New Yorker, just like Annie Proulx! (I don't like his all that much, though.)

Also, to get slightly more on topic, you may also remember that King wrote a nice defense of BBM after the Oscars in Entertainment Weekly. If anyone's interested:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,1170378_1%7C%7C1145818_0_,00.html

But why use the word "feminist"....i am a female, my husband is a male, and our marriage and our life is on equal terms.....

I guess to distinguish between people who do and don't believe in gender equality -- there are still plenty of the latter out there (though they're not quite as obvious now as they once were).

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 11:30:03 pm »
That doesn’t sound ridiculous. I remember a book called “Emergence” by David R. Palmer--plot line had some similarities to “The Stand” in that there was biological warfare and only two groups of people survived: one normal group (“the bad guys”), one group with a genetic mutation that made them immune to human disease. Most of the “mutants” were unaware of their genetic quirk until after the war, but nearly all of them were, as the author put it, “almost offensively happy,” productive, well-adjusted, super-intelligent.

So where do you suppose the evil group is? At the Dave Cullen site?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just kidding to anyone from there who's here -- unless you really are planning on starting an apocalyptic showdown.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:32:30 pm by latjoreme »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 06:28:59 am »
Me too, Chrissi! And (more OT) I haven't read a Stephen King novel in probably 20 years.
Now it's on me to say: me too! Well, for me it may be around 15 years, not 20.

He comes off as smart but not smug, not snooty about his wealth or success, with ordinary interests and tastes but impressive insights about writing, a very likeable guy.

That's interesting. To be honest, I never gave the author a second thought, but found him a bit unappealing just by his looks (yeah, I know 'don't judge a book by it's cover') and the fact he writes sooooo endlessly much. It's seems to me like a production-line in a car production.

Also, to get slightly more on topic, you may also remember that King wrote a nice defense of BBM after the Oscars in Entertainment Weekly. If anyone's interested:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,1170378_1%7C%7C1145818_0_,00.html

Thanks for this link. I read and enjoyed it. Yep, King indeed seems to be a very likable guy! And I liked his slightly humorous tone.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2006, 10:33:26 am »
It's seems to me like a production-line in a car production.

That's for sure. And if his early books weren't great classics, I suspect his more recent books (though I haven't read any of them) aren't even that good. They must have suffered from that mass production.

But I think he took more care with "On Writing," or at least seemed to. As a writer myself, anyway, I enjoyed it. Great writer or not, King does have certain undeniable skills.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2006, 05:20:58 pm »
It's good to know about On Writing, I'll have to look it up.  I have never read any King, mostly because I'm not interested in the genre he is best known for, also because I was put off by his style when I peeked into a few of his books.  I was thinking of getting Different Seasons out of the library some time, since it contains the novellas The Body, a story of boys bonding on a woodland adventure, made into the film Stand by Me; and The Shawshank Redemption.  These have been recommended as among his best stories for people who don't like his other books.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2006, 01:02:35 am »
Andrew...I'm a big King fan and have every one of his books in hardback, so naturally tiese last few postings caught my attention.  Different Seasons is a good one to start with, and if you get hooked try Nightmares and Dreamscapes, Skelton Crew, Four ast Midnight, Danse Macabre or Everything's Eventual...they are all short story collections.  In case you did not know, every one of his books have been made into movies.  But, as has been referenced, his works are sometimes very deep and the subject matter grotesque.  I love him..few do.  Happy reading

Doug

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2006, 01:15:59 am »
In case you did not know, every one of his books have been made into movies.

Wow. That I didn't know.

So Doug, I'm curious: does the Brokeback obsession syndrome remind YOU of The Stand?

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2006, 01:49:25 am »
Hi Kathrine...I'm sorry I can't answer that because I read The Stand (it's abbreviated form) when it first came out way back when??  I never got around to getting the reissued version, but after all the talk here, I will now.  I read so many books that I get confused from one story line to another, and it wasn't until one of the posters actuall gave a brief
synopsis of the story that I  remembered.  I also think this was not one of my favorites, so it is religated to the inner recesses of my mind.  When reading Stephen King, you have to devote your entire being from brain to toe (and sometimes someone else's also)to the meanings, the dark canyons he often drifts into, symbolism (and there is a lot of it).  I could go on and on and bore the hell out of everyone, but suffice it to say I do like the man's works... ;D...Doug

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2006, 02:15:25 am »
The abbreviated version was the one I read, too. And yes, a long time ago -- I'd say late '70s. But it was by far my favorite. If you go back and read it, let us know what you think!

I think I also liked The Dead Zone. Was that the one about a guy who could read other people's thoughts? And he meets a presidential candidate and realizes he has some big secret evil plan? So he feels compelled to kill the guy, even though everybody else thinks the candidate is fine and so of course thinks the protagonist is a regular old insane killer? I kind of liked that idea; turning the usual scenario around and seeing things from the POV of a well-meaning assassin.

"The Well-Meaning Assassin" -- there's a good title for a novel.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2006, 09:48:21 am »
Well this thread has certainly had a subject change, and as i sit here in my office at home I glanced around and saw what has happened to it.....

On one wall here, is MY picture....on the other wall is a bookcase with my husbands favourite books.....

I attach a couple of photos to show you what I mean.....

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2006, 03:55:58 pm »
Katie...a very devoted King fan, your husband.

Yes, we were moving down the path and suddenly someone took a turn while the rest continued on course.  We'll diverge again, soon, and maybe catch back up to the original group ;) ;D...Doug

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2006, 08:35:11 pm »
That's awesome silk;D  I always wonder who's still discovering this movie...

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2006, 09:26:53 pm »
Hey thanks Delalluvia!

Not only that !  But the great thing was he told several other 'straight' males that I'd tried to convince how great he thought it was & that they should give it another shot!  The thing to me is, he moved it out of the Leno/Letterman joke range into a serious, great film range.  Because he is a straight male (and former cop to boot) they are giving more credence to his opinion (not that I like THAT aspect, but I am glad however it comes about that someone gives this film serious consideration.)

The only issue I have is, I have tried to forward an e-mail to my home that he sent me @ work ( I work for WA state Government) & it has never been received by me!!??   It was a very thoughtful e-mail about how WA state blew it by the Supreme Court not affirming gay marriage.  I keep wondering - WHERE did his e-mail go (have tried now THREE times - have not had this issue before while sending or forwarding e-mails to my home!)

Hope I am just unreasonalby being paranoid.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2006, 09:13:29 am »
On another message board, I had used the words "chosen ones" and got a bit blasted by some as being pompous, or possibly referring to myself and others as being "chosen" in a religious type of way, but I truly believe that, of all the people who have seen this movie, a group of us feel as though we "got it", hence Bettermost and all the other websites and message boards.

I've been profoundly moved by movies before.  But not to the extent that any of the characters have stayed with me for more than a few days afterwards.  More that they've made me examine my life and I've gone on to do some more of that without giving much more thought to the characters themselves.  …. I couldn't stop thinking about their fates.  I fell in love with both of them.  I still am and always will be.  …. No matter what comes and goes, these characters will always be in my heart.  And that's never happened to me with any fictional character before and I doubt it ever will again.  Jesus H., nothing like this.

I too have wondered why THIS movie has affected me in this way.  I have seen hundreds of movies that made me look at things differently but have never stayed with me like this.  Most nights Jack and Ennis are the last thing I think of before I go to sleep and are with me the next morning and through out the day.  I am so glad I decided to watch BBM.  Maybe we are the "chosen" ones that will change the world.  I have never seen my self as an activist but now when I hear someone making snide remarks about "gays" I give them an earful.  Especially when someone says it is a choice.  I said, How can you think it is a choice?  Who would chose to be discriminated against and hated for how and who they love.  No one would choose that pain.  Did you "choose" to love women.  Why is it a choice for them.  As I have said before, I have a very close friend that is gay and I think if I heard someone say something about them now that I would be the one doing the bashing. 

I was made aware of this thread with a note that silk posted on another thread. I went back to some of your initial comments and I agree with all of you.

My family laughs at me because I always have what I call “film obsessions” or “star obsessions.” Those are the times when I either have to watch a particular film over and over or watch one particular star over and over. I have had some great ones on my list (such as Johnny Depp and Cillian Murphy … whose films I still adore). But, the longest any one obsession has lasted has maybe been a few weeks … a month at the most. However, BBM has stuck to me like fuzz on a lollypop. I absolutely can’t shake it. This is one of the few times that it is not just about the stars, but about the story. If it would only be about Jake and Heath, I would have quit this film months ago. But here it is …. months later … I still watch the film in whole or in part at least once a day.

My sister asked me why this film has hit me the way that it has. I tried to articulate what I was feeling, but felt mute. The overwhelming emotions that BBM evokes (for me) is indescribable. My sister does not want to see it. She is a pastor, but that is not why she doesn’t want to see it. She doesn’t like movies with tragic endings … and BBM is one of those films.

As for inflammatory comments about gays, race, religion, etc., I always go ballistic. When I asked my brother, who is BIG TIME homophobic, to watch the film, he said “I refuse to watch two f****ts.” I let him have it. (It is especially important that my brother cool the rhetoric because I believe his son, my nephew, is gay …. which is another topic altogether!). IMO, prejudice is a form of misunderstanding …. demeaning comments are a form of ignorance. Nothing will change if we, the public, don’t acknowledge our own biases. We all have them … we can’t deny their existence. Once we make an assumption about any given group of people, we are prejudice. Until we can open ourselves to another’s POV, there will always be sexism, racism, religious bigotry, etc.

Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2006, 09:55:23 am »
BBM has stuck to me like fuzz on a lollypop

LOL!

Or, like... white on rice?  ugly on a monkey?  a cheap suit?  ;)

It kind of surprises me in a way that your sister doesn't want to see it at least out of curiosity, in spite of her fear of its tragic ending.  I also have to say that I don't get people who can't deal with a tragic ending in a movie.  A co-worker of mine has been holding one of my two "loaner" copies of BBM for ransom for four months, now.  She keeps not wanting to see it because she knows "it'll be so sad" but she doesn't want to give it back because she says someday she might "be ready" for it.  Yet she'll turn around and tell me all the gory details of the latest killings in Lebanon or Israel or about the batshit crazy woman down here who murdered a grandmother and her six-year-old grandson in cold blood last week.  Is there some kind of problem with the ego-formation in people like this?  Or am I just tougher/colder than most people?  Seriously - I need to know.
No more beans!

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2006, 09:59:25 am »
As for inflammatory comments about gays, race, religion, etc., I always go ballistic. When I asked my brother, who is BIG TIME homophobic, to watch the film, he said “I refuse to watch two f****ts.” I let him have it. (It is especially important that my brother cool the rhetoric because I believe his son, my nephew, is gay …. which is another topic altogether!). IMO, prejudice is a form of misunderstanding …. demeaning comments are a form of ignorance. Nothing will change if we, the public, don’t acknowledge our own biases. We all have them … we can’t deny their existence. Once we make an assumption about any given group of people, we are prejudice. Until we can open ourselves to another’s POV, there will always be sexism, racism, religious bigotry, etc.

I guess sadly that this is true.  This movie has really affected all of us.  Any time someone does not understand something then automatically it is wrong.  All it takes are a few lunatics to decide that something is dirty or immoral and it spreads like wildfire.  So sad.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2006, 10:17:13 am »
My sister does not want to see it. She is a pastor, but that is not why she doesn’t want to see it. She doesn’t like movies with tragic endings … and BBM is one of those films.

Here's an idea: Invite your sister over, put the film on. Then just after "Just sending up a prayer of thanks." "For what?" "... For you forgettin your harmonica. I'm enjoying the peace and quiet" jump up and turn off the TV! Then say, "So did you like the movie?"

A friend of mine did that when watching "Carrie" with her mother, who was kind of emotionally fragile. Right when Carrie and her date get to the prom stage, just as she's looking around the room all happy and excited for the first time in her life, seconds before the blood comes pouring down on them, Gwen hopped over and turned off the TV. And her mother went through the rest of her life thinking it had a nice happy ending.

Sometimes I wish someone would have done that for me with BBM!

Yet she'll turn around and tell me all the gory details of the latest killings in Lebanon or Israel or about the batshit crazy woman down here who murdered a grandmother and her six-year-old grandson in cold blood last week.  Is there some kind of problem with the ego-formation in people like this?  Or am I just tougher/colder than most people?  Seriously - I need to know.

Hmm ... Well, I think there's a different kind of empathy involved. I like to think I feel some empathy for strangers  in the news ... a horrifying series of stories here recently about a pit bull mauling a 11-year-old boy made me cry, though maybe partly because I have an 11-year-old son. (Chicago-area residents: did you see that series? Very well done stories, but how awful!) I think humans are wired to feel saddest about the fates of people they know well or are related to. And watching a movie gives you the sense of knowing the characters well. Feeling sad about people in a different part of the world, or even closer to home but whom we've never met, takes a larger sense of empathy and justice. It's a good trait, but I think for most people it's a less emotional reaction.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2006, 10:57:32 am »
I'm so glad when I hear of new people seeing the film, and being moved by it. It's good to know and to be reminded that it does still manage to reach and make an impact on new viewers.

Because heaven knows, the ridicule and belittling of the film is *still* ongoing.  >:( Letterman airs here every day, with a time lag of one week after it airs in the US, and I very, very rarely watch it. Nevertheless quite incidentally I happpened to have the TV chattering in the background two days ago when to my surprise Letterman went and told another "gay = cowboy" joke. It wasn't especially offensive or anything, just utterly pathetic and lame. But the mere fact that a full 8 months and more after the film premiered it still serves as the habitual subject of moronic talk show jokes that will probably put people off watching it, make them think it's quite OK to maintain their prejudices, and to laugh at the film and its subject matter without even having made up their own minds directly........I hardly believed my ears. Enough already! I nearly blew a fuse.  :blush:

I normally say that all PR is good PR, but not in this instance. This ongoing barrage must be creating a negative awareness that mainly keeps people away rather than making them curious.

(I tried to find out if the show might possibly, hopefully be a repeat from much earlier in the year, but there was nothing indicating that in the programme so I think it was in fact recent.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 11:07:34 am by Mikaela »

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2006, 11:21:23 am »
It kind of surprises me in a way that your sister doesn't want to see it at least out of curiosity, in spite of her fear of its tragic ending.  I also have to say that I don't get people who can't deal with a tragic ending in a movie.  A co-worker of mine has been holding one of my two "loaner" copies of BBM for ransom for four months, now.  She keeps not wanting to see it because she knows "it'll be so sad" but she doesn't want to give it back because she says someday she might "be ready" for it.  

I have to admit that I have done that. One instance has been “Schindler’s List.” It took me a very long time to watch it because I knew the story was going to be wrenching. However, I knew it would be an important film to watch. After I did, it became one of my favorite films (Albeit I don’t watch it on a regular basis. I almost always get a crying headache afterwards).

I guess sadly that this is true.  This movie has really affected all of us.  Any time someone does not understand something then automatically it is wrong.  All it takes are a few lunatics to decide that something is dirty or immoral and it spreads like wildfire.  So sad.

Needless to say, some of the worse offenders are people who consider themselves to be Christians. I call them “Right-Wingers” (yes, now I am exposing one of my prejudices). To use dogma as a way to impose one’s beliefs on someone else drives me crazy. I have not been put on this planet to judge another person for how s/he chooses to live his/her life. I am a Christian, but that doesn’t mean that the Muslim down the street is an evil person because s/he doesn’t share my faith. Or because I am straight and another person is gay, doesn’t mean I’m going to heaven and s/he is going to hell. Not to mention the numerous times Hispanics are referred to in derogatory terms. It drives me CRAZY!!! Where is the spirit of inclusion?  

Here's an idea: Invite your sister over, put the film on. Then just after "Just sending up a prayer of thanks." "For what?" "... For you forgettin your harmonica. I'm enjoying the peace and quiet" jump up and turn off the TV! Then say, "So did you like the movie?"

LOL! I should do that! But, if she got that far, she would want to see the whole thing. Then she’d say, “I like to watch movies to escape!” Her favorite movies tend to be things like “12 Things I Hate About You” and “Napoleon Dynamite.”  (Can you tell she has teenagers at home?)  C’est la vie! It takes all types ….

….she'll turn around and tell me all the gory details of the latest killings in Lebanon or Israel or about the batshit crazy woman down here who murdered a grandmother and her six-year-old grandson in cold blood last week.  Is there some kind of problem with the ego-formation in people like this?  Or am I just tougher/colder than most people?  Seriously - I need to know.

Hmm ... Well, I think there's a different kind of empathy involved. I like to think I feel some empathy for strangers  in the news ... I think humans are wired to feel saddest about the fates of people they know well or are related to. And watching a movie gives you the sense of knowing the characters well. Feeling sad about people in a different part of the world, or even closer to home but whom we've never met, takes a larger sense of empathy and justice. It's a good trait, but I think for most people it's a less emotional reaction.

I like your analysis on this, Katherine. Ironically, my sister is one of those news junkies! She loves NPR … listens to it all of the time and is very up on news from all over the world. I think she sees that being a Christian requires her to know what is going on in the world and to be able respond to it in a peaceful activist way. But as I stated above, her motivation for watching a film is strictly for escapism. Oh well! My sister and I …. Yin and yang. She’s the oldest, I’m the youngest. She’s the realist, I’m the dreamer. She’s academically brilliant, I am artistically driven. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.
Diane

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2006, 11:48:59 am »
I think that's a good analysis, too, Katherine.  I'm a bit of a news junkie, too.  But once I get the gist, I don't want to know every gory detail.  I'm not one of those people who goes in much for the "Up Close and Personal" stories, either.  Anything that's purposely sensationalistic in the news turns me off.  Just the facts, ma'am.  But at the same time, I sat through "Schindler's List" weeping just about the entire time.  I don't mind an emotional catharsis in the movie theater.  But I reckon I shy away from them just about everywhere else.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2006, 01:03:30 pm »
But the mere fact that a full 8 months and more after the film premiered it still serves as the habitual subject of moronic talk show jokes that will probably put people off watching it, make them think it's quite OK to maintain their prejudices, and to laugh at the film and its subject matter without even having made up their own minds directly

That is ridiculous. I never watch those late-night talk shows, either (except the Daily Show, which I love). But I happened to see Jay Leno one night in late April and he made four BBM jokes in, what, an hour and a half? Appalling. And I'm afraid you are exactly right about the effect that has on people's perceptions.

But at the same time, I sat through "Schindler's List" weeping just about the entire time.  I don't mind an emotional catharsis in the movie theater.  But I reckon I shy away from them just about everywhere else.

I don't mind sad movies, but I'm not fond of depressing movies. For instance, I love BBM (duh!) but was kind of sorry I saw Leaving Las Vegas. Schindler's List is an exception -- it's certainly depressing, but it's inescapable history, vividly depicted. But LLV was just bleak. I was depressed for four days. One year, my mother and brother decided to rent a movie on Christmas Eve (I wasn't going to be there) and they talked about getting LLV! I had to step in and forbid it.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2006, 01:19:48 pm »
I don't mind sad movies, but I'm not fond of depressing movies. For instance, I love BBM (duh!) but was kind of sorry I saw Leaving Las Vegas. Schindler's List is an exception -- it's certainly depressing, but it's inescapable history, vividly depicted. But LLV was just bleak. I was depressed for four days. One year, my mother and brother decided to rent a movie on Christmas Eve (I wasn't going to be there) and they talked about getting LLV! I had to step in and forbid it.

Whoa! I agree ... LLV is not the kind of movie you would want to watch on Christmas Eve.  :o The "depressing" reality is that I am often attracted to films that are very tragic. BBM would be one. Then there are a litany of others including “Schindler’s List,” “Munich,” “Romeo and Juliet,” “Out of Africa,” etc. (It is for that reason my sister says, “Oh no! Diane loves it so it must be sad!”) Believe it or not, I really liked LLV, but it was purely depressing. There was really no redemptive element to it at all.

BTW …. I am not purely masochistic. I do enjoy a lot of films with pleasant themes and happy endings!  ;D
Diane

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2006, 01:36:55 pm »
I actually really liked Leaving Las Vegas.  I saw it as not being just depressing, but actually life-affirming in a way.  Here are two people who loved each other completely, (fatal) flaws and all.  I found that aspect of it poignant but not depressing at all.  Yes, overall of course it is.  But I guess I was glad for the characters that in their bleak lives, they at least found each other and had some measure of happiness.  Wait - that has a familiar ring to it, hunh?

Perhaps I am masochistic.  People marvel that I went to see "World Trade Center" at all, let alone on opening night, when my husband is a pilot for American Airlines.  They say, "How could you watch that?"  I'd have gone and seen "United 93" when it was playing in the theaters if I'd had a chance, too, but there was too much going on in my life during its very short run here and I missed it.

I think in general movies should be like any other art form - they should make you think and feel - they should connect you to a part of yourself you didn't know existed or that you'd forgotten you had.  And they should haunt you.  If they don't, what's the point?  Or maybe that's just how I look at movies A.B. - After Brokeback.

I do occasionally go to movies for pure escapist fun, too.  If I didn't, I'd never have seen "Spider-Man" or "Superman Returns" or "Crash."  ;)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2006, 01:46:37 pm »
Perhaps I am masochistic.  People marvel that I went to see "World Trade Center" at all, let alone on opening night, when my husband is a pilot for American Airlines. 

I saw "WTC" and had no problem with it, depression-wise (I mean the movie, of course, not the actual event), though then again my husband isn't a pilot.

I meant to say this earlier and forgot, but Diane, I loved "Napoleon Dynamite"! (I also saw it because of my kids, but I was glad I did.)

And speaking of emotions -- I already plugged this once in Barb's director poll, but what the heck, it's worth mentioning twice -- I just saw and loved "Little Miss Sunshine." It made me laugh AND cry.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2006, 02:06:39 pm »
I meant to say this earlier and forgot, but Diane, I loved "Napoleon Dynamite"! (I also saw it because of my kids, but I was glad I did.)

And speaking of emotions -- I already plugged this once in Barb's director poll, but what the heck, it's worth mentioning twice -- I just saw and loved "Little Miss Sunshine." It made me laugh AND cry.

I'd love to tell you that I enjoyed "Napoleon Dynamite," but I can't. A bunch of people I know really like it and it has created somewhat of a cult following. This is when I am told, “Lighten up, girl!!” Oh well … to each his own!

As for “Little Miss Sunshine” … that is a film I would like to see. I have heard it is great. I’ll let you know if I can get to the theaters in time to see it. Things come and go here relatively fast!
Diane

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2006, 03:33:59 pm »
FWIW, I loved Napoleon Dynamite, too.  I can't exactly explain why, but I just laughed myself silly too many times to count (though I do remember two scenes in particular that set me off).
No more beans!

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2006, 03:36:05 pm »
I went to see World Trade Center on opening night with my husband.  My husband is a firefighter and I was a little shocked that he wanted to go see it.  Wow!  I thought I was going to have to leave right after it started.  Just an overhelming sense of loss.  It was hard for me to watch.  When it was over not one person in there said a word.  The quietest exit I have ever seen.

How can people be so cruel and not care about another human any more than that.  I am a Christian also.  I unfortunately have "opinions" about certain groups.  But I am extremely accepting of everyone.  I do not think that I am any better or have a right to judge any one.  I have just as many problems as anyone else so how can I point a finger.  I wish we could all go to sleep and wake up and all of the crazy bigotry be gone.

For anyone else reading that does not live in the USA do you have the same problems in your country?

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2006, 10:08:09 pm »
I think in general movies should be like any other art form - they should make you think and feel

Barb -

A movie you might enjoy: A Love Divided (from Ireland, 1999).

To use dogma as a way to impose one’s beliefs on someone else drives me crazy. I have not been put on this planet to judge another person for how s/he chooses to live his/her life. I am a Christian, but that doesn’t mean ...

Momof2 - You might find it quite interesting as well.  In fact, you might all find it very thought provoking. 

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2006, 03:53:07 am »
I've been reading all the postings since I last was able to get into the site, and these have been very interesting, covering a lot of range, so I thought I would share this with you:

Yesterday I was responding to a request at imdb for gay romance novels, and went to my library to get the 3 I was referring to so that I could list them in order..they are a trilogy...I discovered this quote, apparently having missed it when I read the book the first time in 1973:

"I say if it's love, the Lord won't mind.  There's enough hate in the world"
                            --Mrs. Sapphire Hall
                              Harlen, 1940

Gordon Merrick took his title, "The Lord Won't Mind",  from the quote..

Here's anothe gem I found; don't know where or when.

A Shower of Life

Stand in the shower holding hands.  Rinse in a cool stream of humility.  With the cloth of indulgence, work up a thick lather with the soap of acceptance and understanding.  Rinse in a warm stream of peace and love.  Dry yourself with the towel of humanity.

I think of this everytime I step into my shower....Doug

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2006, 09:03:06 am »
A Shower of Life

Stand in the shower holding hands.  Rinse in a cool stream of humility.  With the cloth of indulgence, work up a thick lather with the soap of acceptance and understanding.  Rinse in a warm stream of peace and love.  Dry yourself with the towel of humanity.

Doug - I love that one! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing that. What a nice way to start my day!
Diane

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2006, 03:37:15 pm »
I thought this thread would be an appropriate place to share this ….

I had gotten on to You Tube and saw this video (which most of you probably have already seen):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-oZ1Ijn-9c

I loved it so much I decided to share it with two of my co-workers. Keep in mind I work for a Christian based insurance and financial company and many people are quite conservative. Everyone who knows me is aware that I have a “beyond obsession” about BBM. These two women had no desire to see the film because of the “gay elements.” I convinced them to “just watch” this short video. Afterwards, they were both in tears. The response I got was:
1.   “This doesn’t look like a ‘gay cowboy movie.’ It looks like it has a lot more to the story than I thought”; and
2.   “I can see why you love this film.”

Those comments were based on a four minute clip. Now they want to see the film!

If only people would see it ……then they’d know how great it truly is!
Diane

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2006, 12:43:33 am »
Quote from: dly64
I had gotten on to You Tube and saw this video (which most of you probably have already seen):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-oZ1Ijn-9c

I loved it so much I decided to share it with two of my co-workers. Keep in mind I work for a Christian based insurance and financial company and many people are quite conservative. Everyone who knows me is aware that I have a “beyond obsession” about BBM. These two women had no desire to see the film because of the “gay elements.” I convinced them to “just watch” this short video. Afterwards, they were both in tears. The response I got was:
1.   “This doesn’t look like a ‘gay cowboy movie.’ It looks like it has a lot more to the story than I thought”; and
2.   “I can see why you love this film.”

I hadn't seen that one, Diane. It's beautiful....and the words, damn.   "...keep breathin' cause I'm not leavin' you anymore..."   All the words fit the story so well. Thank you for posting the link.

I'm interested in hearing what your co-workers have to say after they see the movie.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 01:19:23 am by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2006, 02:19:14 am »
 Wouldn't it be loverly?, July 6, 2006

This is a delightful love story about a short stop and his second baseman, the only fault of which is...the ending is SO happy. Excuse me, but there will be a black man (and probably a white woman as well) in the White House before Major League Baseball accepts homosexuiality among its own. Lefcourt, writing in 1992, thought, well, maybe if I set the story in 1998 (which he does!)-maybe...it could happen then. Well, it's 2006, and it hasn't happened yet. Give it another 30 years. MLB..er, SUCKS!

Review posted on amazon.com by me.

"I dropped like a plum line from Wyoming to Juarez."
"No. Jack. A plum line is. A plum lines goes down 3-D You drop it off the top of a building, and it heads for the sidewalk. It goes towasrd the center of the earth."
"I know what a plum line is."

--new story.

Keep on truckin'
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2006, 06:41:29 pm »
I hadn't seen that one, Diane. It's beautiful....and the words, damn.   "...keep breathin' cause I'm not leavin' you anymore..."   All the words fit the story so well. Thank you for posting the link.

I'm interested in hearing what your co-workers have to say after they see the movie.

Fern - I'm so glad you saw it! Isn't it wonderful? WOW! I know that song wasn't even remotely written for the film, but it fits perfectly. I went out and bought the Nickleback CD because it reminds me of that video! SIGH! I'll let you know what my co-workers think!
Diane