Author Topic: Interesting observations about the short story  (Read 15873 times)

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Interesting observations about the short story
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 02:03:11 pm »
So true and well-put, it's exactly what I have noticed during the past viewings. The sheer persistance of Jack to create a better life for himself (and Ennis) than what he was brought up in is so overwhelming and such a wonderful character trait. It makes you love him even more. He had so many plans, he was such an idealist. It's such a stark contrast with the austerity and bleakness of his room (the music adds to this, it's soooo bleak...). Also, I think this is where Ennis realises that not only did Jack's father never believe in Jack's dreams, but that he himself was the one who really crushed Jack's dreams, that he was to blame for Jack not being able to live the dream (life) that he dreamed (wanted), I think that's what he feels most guilty about at that point.

Just when you think you are starting to get over the sadness of this story...

I think this is the reason why I love Jack so much.  By looking at his room and the house he lived in, we're actually looking into his past.  I feel that I've learned more about him by looking into his room than listening to him talking throughout the whole movie.  It's hard to think that a lively, sweet young man used to live in such a bleak room and an abusive father, and by that, we also know what a beautiful person his mother was.  I've alway wonder why it was Jack who does the comforting because he seems like the weaker of our two boys, but now I know why.  I think he was the stronger of the two. 

I also agree that Ennis feels guilty because he has a hand in killing Jack's dream.  You can see how numb and sad Ennis looks when John Twist said, "like most of Jack's idea, never came to pass".  He knew then that he actually killed the biggest chunk of Jack's dream, since Jack's #1 dream was to have a sweet life with Ennis, having a cow and calf operation. 

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 07:13:47 am »
I think he was the stronger of the two. 

I definitely agree, he overcame so much, Ennis might have been the stronger one physically, but Jack was so much stronger in knowing what he wanted and what it was that drove him to Ennis and what drove Ennis to him.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2022, 02:20:14 pm »
Annie Proulx and the Gift of ?Brokeback Mountain?

By Innocent Chizaram Ilo - October 13, 2022

On October 13th, 1997?exactly twenty-five years ago?The New Yorker published Brokeback Mountain, a short story by Pulitzer-winning writer Annie Proulx. ?Brokeback Mountain? is a bittersweet love story about two cowboys; Jack Twist and Ennis del Mar. The story dutifully follows Jack and Ennis?s twenty-year relationship from when it blossomed during a ranching gig in 1963 at the fictional ?Brokeback Mountain? range, to the duo reconnecting after four years with both men now married to women. Jack is married to ?a cute little old Texas girl down in Childress? called Lureen and Ennis to Alma Beers. From there, we follow them through Ennis?s divorce and separation from his kids, down to the ?fishing trips? that took them back to Brokeback Mountain, and finally to Jack?s death.

Annie Proulx?s mastery of American rural life shines through in ?Brokeback Mountain?; the breathtaking mountain ranges, the undulating plains of Wyoming, and the ruggedness of American cowboy life leap off the pages. Most importantly, she introduced us to one of the most exquisitely written characters in literature: Jack Twist and Ennis del Mar.

The reader is first impressed by the similarities of the star-crossed lovers. Both Jack and Ennis ?were raised on small, poor ranches in opposite corners of the state? and grew up to become roughened ranch hands in a culture where men are not encouraged to be vulnerable to each other, especially not in a romantic way. As the story progresses, we begin to see the parallels between the two. Ennis is reserved, less daring, scared, more grounded in reality. This manifests in his declaration that ?there?s no reins? to their love affair and how it ?scares the piss? out of him, his constant cold feet around having their ?fishing trips? more frequently, and his dismissal of Jack?s plans for them to be together. Jack, on the other hand, is the dreamer who constantly lays out plans of him and Ennis living together in a ranch they?d own together. He?s also unashamed of wanting more, and constantly makes this known to Ennis. ?How much is once in a while,? Jack asks. ?Once in a while every four fuckin years?? For him, it?s not enough: ?I can?t make it on a couple a? high-altitude fucks once or twice a year.?

https://www.intomore.com/books/annie-proulx-gift-brokeback-mountain/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2023, 08:56:09 pm »
Short Story Review: Brokeback Mountain

Howdy Bookworms and Bibliophiles,

This evening short story review comes after a long day of mourning for a dear friend of mine that I?ve recently lost. I?d made plans to read this short story before now, but as fate would have it, I didn?t get to it until now.

I always liked the movie Brokeback Mountain, and in my quest to broaden my horizons in reads, I gave this short story a chance. It had great reviews and a story I was familiar with. Some of the themes present I can really relate to as well.

I?m gay, and though times have certainly changed, certain relationships of mine have died due to that fact, some of them with family members, some with friends I thought would support me to the end.

But before I blab too much about my life, let?s get right into things, yes?

https://jonathanpongratz.com/2020/01/26/short-story-review-brokeback-mountain/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2023, 08:57:11 pm »
Brokeback Mountain Introduction

Remember that movie Brokeback Mountain from a while back? It stirred up a whole lot of controversy, nabbed itself an Academy Award nomination or two, and had mediocre stand-up comments quoting it's famous "I wish I knew how to quit you line."

Yeah, we bet you remember that. But what you might not know is that because Hollywood is now legally forbidden from producing original ideas, the movie Brokeback Mountain was actually based on a short story called "Brokeback Mountain" written by Annie Proulx. Long before Heath Ledger put his own twist on high altitude shepherding, Proulx came along and gave us a love story that serves up doses of elegance and pain in equal measures.

Why pain? Well, because in the olden days of the 1960s and 70s where the story is set, a romantic relationship between two men was rather frowned upon. And by "rather frowned upon" we mean that men who entered into such relationships risked not only their reputations, but also their lives as Ennis and Jack do in "Brokeback Mountain."

https://www.shmoop.com/study-guides/literature/brokeback-mountain

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2023, 05:38:18 pm »
Interesting review. The author is kind of...well, sardonic, I guess. Also, I would call the Proulx story many things but "elegant" would not be one of them.

Thanks for pointing these reviews out, friend!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2024, 09:40:52 pm »
BBM was a response on Jeopardy! this evening. The clue was something about a peak mentioned in the last story in Close Range.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2024, 11:46:29 am »
As I recall, BBM is more like a ridge than a mountain. Now, Cloud Peak, which you see off to the east, that's a mountain.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2024, 04:55:59 pm »
We know where Brokenback Summit is. Does anybody go up there anymore?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.