Author Topic: The Full Moon  (Read 98455 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: The Full Moon
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2016, 08:33:55 pm »
How about Bad Moon Rising?   ;)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2016, 10:11:21 pm »
Isn't it exciting? A full moon at the summer solstice!  :D

We were talking about this in yoga class. Someone said that only happens once every 70 years. And the yoga teacher came in later called it a "once in a lifetime" event. But while we were in shavasana I found myself doing the math. Assuming the full moon rotates days through the month, so for example one year it might be June 1 and the next year June 2 or whatever, wouldn't this happen once every 30 years? Or maybe that rotation isn't quite that neat, so it's June 1 for a couple of years, then June 2 for a couple of years, and so on. That would stretch out the years between the times it would fall on June 20. You'd have to wait 40 years, say, to get there. Then again, it would mean the next one wouldn't be 70 years from now, it would be next year.

It's also supposed to be a "strawberry moon." Something about the position of Mars, maybe?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2016, 09:12:34 am »
We were talking about this in yoga class. Someone said that only happens once every 70 years. And the yoga teacher came in later called it a "once in a lifetime" event. But while we were in shavasana I found myself doing the math. Assuming the full moon rotates days through the month, so for example one year it might be June 1 and the next year June 2 or whatever, wouldn't this happen once every 30 years? Or maybe that rotation isn't quite that neat, so it's June 1 for a couple of years, then June 2 for a couple of years, and so on. That would stretch out the years between the times it would fall on June 20. You'd have to wait 40 years, say, to get there. Then again, it would mean the next one wouldn't be 70 years from now, it would be next year.

It's also supposed to be a "strawberry moon." Something about the position of Mars, maybe?

I've been hearing it hasn't got anything to do with anything astronomical. It's just that it's strawberry picking season.

I've been hearing different things about how often this happens, 30 years or 70 years.  ???

I missed seeing it last night. I didn't even think to look for it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2016, 09:49:06 am »
I missed seeing it last night. I didn't even think to look for it.

You can't say we didn't warn you! That's BetterMost, always providing service to our loyal residents!

I didn't see the moon either; it was cloudy here.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2016, 10:44:32 am »
I saw it, but for some reason mine was vanilla. But a professional photographer/amateur astronomer friend took a nice photo of a rosy-colored full moon and posted it on Facebook.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2016, 11:17:18 am »
You can't say we didn't warn you! That's BetterMost, always providing service to our loyal residents!

I didn't see the moon either; it was cloudy here.

I just have a lot of other stuff on my mind right now.

It seemed cloudy here, too, just before I turned in last night. It's also possible that the moon's position in the sky last night made it invisible from my windows, even if it wasn't cloudy. Sometimes when the moon is full, and it's positioned just right int he sky, if it's clear, I can see the moonlight shining on my balcony.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2016, 09:02:29 pm »
Lovely full moon out tonight here.  :)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2016, 11:08:49 pm »
Yeah, I did't even know it until I saw it out while driving.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2017, 07:30:58 pm »
Another full moon is coming on Friday February 10th. And this one sports a lunar eclipse, visible from most of the U.S. and other countries. Not only that, there's a comet making an appearance too! Pray for clear skies!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2017, 11:22:32 pm »
While waiting around for the eclipse to start, I'm thinking about some of those old classic songs we used to chat about during our full moon chats. Those were the days!