Author Topic: The Full Moon  (Read 98509 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Full Moon
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2018, 03:11:57 pm »
Sorry to bring out my retired Geography teacher hat.
When air masses with different properties meet they do not mix but form a front (not sure why although they do eventually mix and the front weakens).
Of course warm air rises and cools. If a cold front moves over you, the warm air rises up and cools and therefore any moisture begins to condense and, when heavy enough, fall.  Cold fronts are usually fairly steep so the rise is often rapid and can cause thunderstorms (and tornados).
When a warm front approaches, the warm air is rising up over the cooler air in front and is usually fairly gradual so you get more gentle rain over a longer period.
Where I lived in Sydney, warm fronts are rare but cold fronts common. Summer afternoons often had regular thunderstorms (often just as school finished). I never left the house without turning off and unplugging my computer and modem. The telephone company put some device on my line but I would still not answer the phone when storms were around (before hands free phones),
Here in Dunedin thunderstorms are rare. I probably have not experienced 10 in the 8 years I have been here. We have warm fronts so can have a long period of gentle rain then the temperatures climb for a brief time and then a cold front arrives, there is some brief heavy rain and then fine but cold. However weather forecasting is more complicated because of the alps to the west on a fairly narrow island, about 250km wide.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2018, 10:46:06 pm »

Full moon came and went, and my new granddaughter still isn't here. She's worth waiting for.

Another day, while she keeps us waiting. I'm trying to keep myself calm and get as much sleep as possible, without the benefit of my favorite sleep aid, wine. I'm certainly catching up on New Yorker reading!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2018, 02:22:55 pm »
When air masses with different properties meet they do not mix but form a front (not sure why although they do eventually mix and the front weakens).
Of course warm air rises and cools. If a cold front moves over you, the warm air rises up and cools and therefore any moisture begins to condense and, when heavy enough, fall.  Cold fronts are usually fairly steep so the rise is often rapid and can cause thunderstorms (and tornados).
When a warm front approaches, the warm air is rising up over the cooler air in front and is usually fairly gradual so you get more gentle rain over a longer period.

Thank you, Brian! Very educational. Never apologize for bringing out your teacher hat -- I'm always happy to learn how things like that work. It makes perfect sense when you explain it that way.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2018, 02:23:40 pm »
Another day, while she keeps us waiting. I'm trying to keep myself calm and get as much sleep as possible, without the benefit of my favorite sleep aid, wine. I'm certainly catching up on New Yorker reading!

Did you give up wine? If you mentioned that before, I must have missed it.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2018, 02:25:05 pm »
I would've tried to take a pic, but knowing me, it wouldn't have turned out.  LOL

I did take a pic, with my iPhone, and like every time I take a full moon picture with my phone, it just looks like a big white blob between the bushes and the telephone lines.

Luckily, I have a FB friend who's a professional photographer and amateur astronomer, so he usually posts cool pix of celestial events.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:55:23 am by serious crayons »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2018, 02:34:04 pm »
Did you give up wine? If you mentioned that before, I must have missed it.

Just temporarily, since I will likely have to be alert and driving in the middle of the night soon (my daughter's labor has always started in the wee hours).

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2018, 05:09:05 pm »
The baby is keeping everyone waiting!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2018, 05:10:13 pm »
Where I lived in Sydney, warm fronts are rare but cold fronts common. Summer afternoons often had regular thunderstorms (often just as school finished). I never left the house without turning off and unplugging my computer and modem. The telephone company put some device on my line but I would still not answer the phone when storms were around (before hands free phones),
Here in Dunedin thunderstorms are rare. I probably have not experienced 10 in the 8 years I have been here. We have warm fronts so can have a long period of gentle rain then the temperatures climb for a brief time and then a cold front arrives, there is some brief heavy rain and then fine but cold. However weather forecasting is more complicated because of the alps to the west on a fairly narrow island, about 250km wide.

very interesting post!  Thanks Brian!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2023, 11:43:21 am »
Sure do miss brian. Happy full Beaver Moon, folks!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2023, 12:45:43 pm »
Saw it this morning on its way down. Beautiful!