613,532 Posts in 14,765 Topics by 2,738 Residents
Latest Member: Wannow58
BetterMost, Wyoming & Brokeback Mountain Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2018, 09:59:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Login Register
BetterMost, Wyoming & Brokeback Mountain Forum  |  Brokeback Mountain: Our Community's Common Bond  |  Brokeback Mountain Open Forum (Moderators: serious crayons, Penthesilea, LauraGigs)  |  Topic: The Full Moon 0 Residents and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Full Moon  (Read 22772 times)
brian
BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2018, 03:11:57 pm »

Sorry to bring out my retired Geography teacher hat.
When air masses with different properties meet they do not mix but form a front (not sure why although they do eventually mix and the front weakens).
Of course warm air rises and cools. If a cold front moves over you, the warm air rises up and cools and therefore any moisture begins to condense and, when heavy enough, fall.  Cold fronts are usually fairly steep so the rise is often rapid and can cause thunderstorms (and tornados).
When a warm front approaches, the warm air is rising up over the cooler air in front and is usually fairly gradual so you get more gentle rain over a longer period.
Where I lived in Sydney, warm fronts are rare but cold fronts common. Summer afternoons often had regular thunderstorms (often just as school finished). I never left the house without turning off and unplugging my computer and modem. The telephone company put some device on my line but I would still not answer the phone when storms were around (before hands free phones),
Here in Dunedin thunderstorms are rare. I probably have not experienced 10 in the 8 years I have been here. We have warm fronts so can have a long period of gentle rain then the temperatures climb for a brief time and then a cold front arrives, there is some brief heavy rain and then fine but cold. However weather forecasting is more complicated because of the alps to the west on a fairly narrow island, about 250km wide.
Front-Ranger
BetterMost Moderator
The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

I'm marching for her!

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2018, 10:46:06 pm »

Full moon came and went, and my new granddaughter still isn't here. She's worth waiting for.

Another day, while she keeps us waiting. I'm trying to keep myself calm and get as much sleep as possible, without the benefit of my favorite sleep aid, wine. I'm certainly catching up on New Yorker reading!

May 2018 be better for us all.
serious crayons

« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2018, 02:22:55 pm »

When air masses with different properties meet they do not mix but form a front (not sure why although they do eventually mix and the front weakens).
Of course warm air rises and cools. If a cold front moves over you, the warm air rises up and cools and therefore any moisture begins to condense and, when heavy enough, fall.  Cold fronts are usually fairly steep so the rise is often rapid and can cause thunderstorms (and tornados).
When a warm front approaches, the warm air is rising up over the cooler air in front and is usually fairly gradual so you get more gentle rain over a longer period.

Thank you, Brian! Very educational. Never apologize for bringing out your teacher hat -- I'm always happy to learn how things like that work. It makes perfect sense when you explain it that way.

serious crayons

« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2018, 02:23:40 pm »

Another day, while she keeps us waiting. I'm trying to keep myself calm and get as much sleep as possible, without the benefit of my favorite sleep aid, wine. I'm certainly catching up on New Yorker reading!

Did you give up wine? If you mentioned that before, I must have missed it.

serious crayons

« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2018, 02:25:05 pm »

I would've tried to take a pic, but knowing me, it wouldn't have turned out.  LOL

I did take a pic, with my iPhone, and like every time I take a full moon picture with my phone, it just looks like a big white blob between the bushes and the telephone lines.

Luckily, I have a FB friend who's a professional photographer and amateur astronomer, so he usually posts cool pix of celestial events.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:55:23 am by serious crayons, Reason: Changed \"big white blog\" to \"big white blob.\" » Logged
Front-Ranger
BetterMost Moderator

I'm marching for her!

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2018, 02:34:04 pm »

Did you give up wine? If you mentioned that before, I must have missed it.

Just temporarily, since I will likely have to be alert and driving in the middle of the night soon (my daughter's labor has always started in the wee hours).

May 2018 be better for us all.
CellarDweller

A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2018, 05:09:05 pm »

The baby is keeping everyone waiting!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!
CellarDweller

A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2018, 05:10:13 pm »

Where I lived in Sydney, warm fronts are rare but cold fronts common. Summer afternoons often had regular thunderstorms (often just as school finished). I never left the house without turning off and unplugging my computer and modem. The telephone company put some device on my line but I would still not answer the phone when storms were around (before hands free phones),
Here in Dunedin thunderstorms are rare. I probably have not experienced 10 in the 8 years I have been here. We have warm fronts so can have a long period of gentle rain then the temperatures climb for a brief time and then a cold front arrives, there is some brief heavy rain and then fine but cold. However weather forecasting is more complicated because of the alps to the west on a fairly narrow island, about 250km wide.

very interesting post!  Thanks Brian!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All Go Up Print 
BetterMost, Wyoming & Brokeback Mountain Forum  |  Brokeback Mountain: Our Community's Common Bond  |  Brokeback Mountain Open Forum (Moderators: serious crayons, Penthesilea, LauraGigs)  |  Topic: The Full Moon « previous next »
Jump to:  

Listen to Brokeback Mountain Radio 1
Listen to Brokeback Mountain Radio 1

Help keep this site operating by donating.

Web bettermost.net
Image courtesy of 'AuroraLucis'

No more beans.  I'm sick of beans.