Author Topic: Want to Hear Something Really Pretty?  (Read 5380 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Want to Hear Something Really Pretty?
« on: September 11, 2009, 03:46:23 pm »
I recorded this outside in my backyard a few nights ago. I love the sounds of summer. We have lots of very interesting sounds at night where I live. The sounds are so loud we can even hear them inside the house with the windows closed and the air-conditioning turned on. Which is fine with me! I love this sound.

Enjoy!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4739.0;attach=24854

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Want to Hear Something Really Pretty?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 04:03:31 pm »
Aw, that was lovely and soothing!  Like one of those relaxation cd's - you know with the sounds of rain or the ocean, etc.

Great idea. Thanks, David!  :)
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 04:05:44 pm »
Loved it!!

Thanks.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 07:20:09 pm »
That's so beautiful, David. Very soothing. I have it playing on repeat in the background, so I can listen to it as I go about my business. I'll listen to it again tonight and pretend I'm out in the country on a hot summer night. Thank you for posting it.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 07:33:55 pm »
yes... lovely!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 12:46:49 am »
I am glad you all enjoyed it! :D

Those are crickets and tree frogs you are hearing in the recording. I'm not sure what the other sounds are though. But we hear them every night during the spring, summer and fall. I can hear them out there right now. I agree with Marie and Kerry, it is very relaxing and soothing. I love the sounds of nature. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 12:49:15 am »
I originally posted this sound file in my blog but then I realized many people would never find it in there,so I decided to give it its own thread. Hopefully others will listen to it and enjoy it. And thank you Louise for placing the file on Bettermost for me. :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 04:22:51 am »
Wow, that's a lot of night life.  Do you have water near your house?  Thanks for posting it David.  Like Kerry, I put it on a loop.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 12:21:20 am »
Wow, that's a lot of night life.  Do you have water near your house?  Thanks for posting it David.  Like Kerry, I put it on a loop.

Nope! There's really no water near the house, at least not in the immediate area. There are a couple of ponds and a creek on the golf course located in back of the house. The creek runs along side #3, which is the front 9 (the house sits just off #2) and the ponds are located on the back 9, so none of those "bodies" of water are close to the house. The creek would be the closest. There is also a creek down at the bottom of the hill and it tends to flood whenever we get a lot of sudden rainfall. But those animals and insects you hear are not there because of any water. There are no bodies of water within view.

The frogs you hear are tree frogs. They stay in the trees and we rarely see them. In fact I've only seen them in photographs. I've never seen one in person, even though they are all around us. Obviously the crickets can be heard in the recording and a few cicadas. We mostly hear the cicadas during the daytime, but a few of them will sound off at night. I'm not sure what those other sounds are. The animal or bug creating that jingling sound is quite puzzling. I'm not sure what kind of animal makes that sound but we hear them all the time. In fact I can hear them out there right now! :)

I'm glad you liked my sound file, Clarissa!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 01:00:40 am »
Very cool, David!

I was just at a bbq that lasted from 3pm until after midnight.  I heard a lot of similar sounds there as well, very cool!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 02:43:16 am »
Very cool, David!

I was just at a bbq that lasted from 3pm until after midnight.  I heard a lot of similar sounds there as well, very cool!

It's a beautiful sound, isn't it Chuck? I don't think the recording did it justice. Those sounds were all around me - even from up above. It's very pretty. I'm glad you experienced those sounds. New Jersey is not all THAT far from Indiana (it's far but not very VERY far) so you all probably have similar insects and animals that we have here. :)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 06:14:38 pm »
It's a beautiful sound, isn't it Chuck? I don't think the recording did it justice.

It was beautiful.  I could picture myself on a front porch with my guy, a limeade in my hand, and just sitting on a porch swing and relaxing.

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!