The World Beyond BetterMost > The Culture Tent

"Glee" anybody?

(1/38) > >>

Jeff Wrangler:
So has anyone else begun watching "Glee"? I blush to admit it's becoming one of my guilty pleasures. I've seen some great singing and dancing in the first two regular episodes.

Brown Eyes:

Hi Jeff,

Yep, I'm watching Glee.  I think it's very good.  I have always gotten a kick out of high school angst movies (or in this case TV show)... a la The Breakfast Club, etc.  So, Glee appeals to me.  And, I just think it's fun, entertaining viewing.

I like to have silly TV shows as guilty pleasures too.  To me it's a fun way to unwind after a stressful day.

Also, I'm thrilled to see Jane Lynch in Glee.  She was a character in the L Word, and she was great in that too.

Jeff Wrangler:
After last night's episode I was ruminating about the fact that Kurt, the gay boy, is, yet again, a stereotype (his father took his car away after he found the tiara collection in Kurt's hope chest  ::) ), but then I realized that all the kids are pretty much stereotypes--the overweight, sassy African American girl; the nerd; the jock; the Jewish Barbra Streisand wannabe (who was told last night that she needed a nose job)--so why should the gay boy be an exception? I decided that I'm not gonna let it bother me. I'm just gonna enjoy the music and some pretty hot dancing!

When Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester) starts singing and dancing--yeehaw!  :laugh:

My high school glee club wasn't anything like that. They just stood around on risers and sang!  :laugh:

Brown Eyes:
Yeah, I think you're right.  I think that the show is actually, at least partially, about exposing stereotypes... or about playing up stereotypes in order to critique them.

Also, from the first episode, we learned that the brunette, star-wanabe in the glee club (that main character... forgetting her name at the moment) is the daughter of a gay-male couple.  Is there any representation of lesbian identity yet in the show?  I missed some of this most recent episode.  Sometimes I don't know what's worse... being stereotyped or being invisible.

Jeff Wrangler:

--- Quote from: atz75 on September 17, 2009, 01:34:08 pm ---Also, from the first episode, we learned that the brunette, star-wanabe in the glee club (that main character... forgetting her name at the moment) is the daughter of a gay-male couple.  Is there any representation of lesbian identity yet in the show?  I missed some of this most recent episode.  Sometimes I don't know what's worse... being stereotyped or being invisible.

--- End quote ---

The one I called the Barbra Streisand wannabe? Her name is Rachel, and I missed the gay-male couple thing, probably because my dad phoned me in the middle of the show last week.  :laugh:  I don't recall noticing any lesbian presence yet--unless Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch) turns out to be lesbian. Last night we just had Kurt coming out to Mercedes, and the goofball who was stalking Josh Groban.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version