Author Topic: Getting the cat to the vet  (Read 10166 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Getting the cat to the vet
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 05:42:27 pm »

photo taken 09-07-09

Awww! What a cute and handsome cat he is! I love Tache! :-*

Roland, I fight with Oreo every single time I take him out. It does not matter where he's going. He's an indoor cat and the outside scares him. When he sees the carrier he knows he's going out of the house and a fight ensues. I usually end up getting scratched, bit and hissed at repeatedly. The only thing that seems to help calm him down a LITTLE is when I throw his dish rag into the cage first. He WANTS that rag and so it seems to work as some sort of compromise.

So I'm sorry I couldn't offer you any advice, except for perhaps placing a toy in there first and see if he goes for it. :-\

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 05:47:13 pm »
catnip.. (hash for cats!) it'll chill him out and make him not worry to much dude!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 07:22:09 pm »
Well Tache's first visit to the vet was (almost) uneventful. He likes the cage. Still goes in to eat. The doctor found him to be quite sociable, even purring quite a lot with both Bryan and me there.

The only incident occured when transfering between two busses at a major intersection on our way back. As we were about to board the second bus, the cage door came open (only one latch - Tache's weight probably shifted to the front of the cage spilling him out of it). He went running accross the street (in the same direction as the traffic, thank goodness) and kept running for the better part of a block, after which he darted into (slow moving) traffic. He finally settled under a car, I told the driver my cat was under it, they stopped the car and within a few seconds he was back in Bryans hands. The whole event lasted less than two minutes.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 07:38:05 pm »
Well Tache's first visit to the vet was (almost) uneventful. He likes the cage. Still goes in to eat. The doctor found him to be quite sociable, even purring quite a lot with both Bryan and me there.

The only incident occured when transfering between two busses at a major intersection on our way back. As we were about to board the second bus, the cage door came open (only one latch - Tache's weight probably shifted to the front of the cage spilling him out of it). He went running accross the street (in the same direction as the traffic, thank goodness) and kept running for the better part of a block, after which he darted into (slow moving) traffic. He finally settled under a car, I told the driver my cat was under it, they stopped the car and within a few seconds he was back in Bryans hands. The whole event lasted less than two minutes.

OMG Roland.  That had to be scary as hell.

I'm glad you were able to catch him.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 09:14:38 pm »

Ye gods.  That's enough for gray hair.  Very very lucky recovery.  Cats do have 9 lives.

Last time one of my cats made an escape, it was out my front door while I had both hands full of groceries.  Like your cat, my cat's first break intended to lose me.  She went down the stairs, turned right, ran to the next corner of buildings. turned right again, took an immediate left and hid under some hedges.    If I hadn't dropped my groceries and just ran after her, I would have immediately lost her, having no idea which direction she went.

Animals never do what you want.  When I was a kid, we took our family dog - which was strictly a leash dog - down to the river bottoms.  We thought he'd enjoy a run around some wild areas, several hundred acres or so of open spaces.  Instead, the stupid dog does a 180, heads down the dike and straight into traffic, chasing cars, barking and almost getting run over 2-3 times.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 04:21:36 am »

Great! :D
Looks like he's a cat with a steady nerves.

OMG, what a scary moment. Thank god you had him back quickly and safely.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 03:22:40 pm »
Oh God Roland.. I would have had a heart attack if that had happened to me. Thaks godness Tache is okay!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 03:37:56 pm »
My God Roland, that must have been frightening for both you and Tache! I can't even imagine something like that happening to my cat. He never goes outside and so an experience like that would have been terrifying for him. It's hard telling what he would do. And I would probably suffer a panic attack right where I stood. Now I feel compelled to check the latches on his cat carrier.

I'm so glad Tache is okay. Hopefully nothing like that will ever happen again. :(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 05:49:08 am »
Hi everyone.

Here's an update....

Yesterday was Tache's day of reckoning: a return visit to the vet to get neutered.

In the past 3 weeks, Tache has gradually been getting use to spending more time indoors (as opposed to not previously being allowed inside at all). He really didn't mind it on rainy days and cold nights and he'd always have the choice. I fed him indoors more and more. He learned the do's and don't's (like getting up on the counter, the bureau, the bed and going in the basement) of indoor living. He likes getting up on the couch (especially when I'm there watching TV), crawling in between the shower curtain and lining and playing with the mat in the tub. He'll frequently curl up on kitchen chairs or on throw mats and even in one of my closets. The (borrowed) littre box, which I had placed in his outdoor 'domaine' (the garage) was only just brought inside yesterday, just before our departure to the vet.

The trip out there was uneventful. Mimma (my friend and tenant) had offered to drive us to the vet. I had to place Tache in the crate and he went in without objection. It was a dreary day ... raining and gray.

I was told I could pick him up after 4 pm. The trip out there was dreadful. It's only about a kilometre away but the rain hadn't let up so I took the bus out there and had to wait about 30 minutes for the connecting bus (only a 5 minute walking distance from my destination) and arriving to a line up of about half a dozen 'customers' at the animal hospital - another 20 minutes of waiting in line. (Of course, when they finally got to me, there wasn't a line-up anymore.) Two buses of late-afternoon-crowded-bus traffic later, just as we get near home, Tache tries to crash out of the cage. I'm holding the crate like a box with both hands, my right arm extended across the door of the cage, so no escape was possible, and we got home without any last minute hi-jinks.

The whole 'pick-up' trip lasted 90 minutes.

Now Tache is mad at me and wants out of the house - something he's not allowd to do for 3 days, while he heals up. In the past 12 hours he's had needy moments - both for food and for cuddling, playful moments, guilty moments (probably been on the bed  >:( ) and he's (surprisingly) been back in the cage on his own - to lie down while I was typing this post. He's been rearanging the sand in the litter box. And he's been hungry.

Thing are getting back to normal, I guess.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 02:23:24 pm »
He'll get over it, you know how cats are.  They're very demonstrative when they feel betrayed.

I've had my cats sit on plants and knock things over they were so mad at me (things they never did normally).  Luckily, they've yet to piss on things to show how mad they are.  8)