Author Topic: Nine Foods and Drinks To Significantly Boost Your Immune System  (Read 3911 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
The cold and flu season is fast approaching. Those of us living in the northern hemisphere should start thinking of ways to keep ourselves healthy this winter.

Here is a list of 9 foods and drinks that will boost your immune system - in some cases up to 10 times its normal strength.

I'm already doing the black tea bit. I've been doing it for months. I'll be trying some of the other suggestions too. :D

And to our friends in the southern hemisphere, you may want to consider these too! Even though it is warming up down there, many of these foods and drinks will help protect you from infections and food poisoning. Your cuts and wounds will heal much faster too!

Let's all stay healthy!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28982279/wid/11915773/?pg=10

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Nine Foods and Drinks To Significantly Boost Your Immune System
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:47:22 am »
Many thanks for that useful info, David. I already do most of those things. I loooove garlic and probably eat way too much of the stuff every day. I can't get enough. Probably explains why I have no friends!  ;)   :laugh: I take an Omega-3 fish oil capsule night and morning. It's a wonderful tonic and is so good for you on many levels, including lifting one's mood and combating depression. And I drink at least 5 cups of black tea a day - maybe more!  ;D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 01:58:19 pm »
Yes, thank you for posting that!

It mentions orange-colored vegetables and fruit early on...  I love the fall traditions in cooking, where lots of pumpkin and sweet potatoes are used.  Cooked sweet potatoes can be kind of dense IMO, but I enjoy adding citrus to them.  A neat way of presenting it is to cut a bunch of oranges in half, scooping out the orange while leaving the skin intact, and mixing the orange in with the cooked sweet potato, along with canola-oil margerine and maybe some salt + pepper.  Then spoon the mixture back into the orange halves.  Optionally you sprinkle brown sugar on top, put the filled orange halves in the oven and brown them for just a minute.  My family does this as a Thanksgiving side.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 02:06:46 pm »
Good list.  I eat and drink most of that already.

Yes, thank you for posting that!

It mentions orange-colored vegetables and fruit early on...  I love the fall traditions in cooking, where lots of pumpkin and sweet potatoes are used.  Cooked sweet potatoes can be kind of dense IMO, but I enjoy adding citrus to them.  A neat way of presenting it is to cut a bunch of oranges in half, scooping out the orange while leaving the skin intact, and mixing the orange in with the cooked sweet potato, along with canola-oil margerine and maybe some salt + pepper.  Then spoon the mixture back into the orange halves.  Optionally you sprinkle brown sugar on top, put the filled orange halves in the oven and brown them for just a minute.  My family does this as a Thanksgiving side.

I LOVE baked sweet potatoes.  Just a little butter, salt and pepper and they're perfect to eat!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 02:12:34 pm »
I LOVE baked sweet potatoes.  Just a little butter, salt and pepper and they're perfect to eat!

I like them that way, too. I never cared for them "candied." Way too sweet for me. Makes me the odd man out in my family at holiday dinners.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 02:17:34 pm »
I like them that way, too. I never cared for them "candied." Way too sweet for me. Makes me the odd man out in my family at holiday dinners.  :-\

Same here.  When I was a teenager, I was only exposed to the ultra-rich sweet kind with all the marshmallows and stuff on them - and I didn't like them.  Then my first boyfriend introduced them to me the baked way and I've loved them that way ever since.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 02:27:03 pm »
I didn't see beer or whiskey anywhere on the list.  Must be some kind of oversight.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 02:27:09 pm »
Same here.  When I was a teenager, I was only exposed to the ultra-rich sweet kind with all the marshmallows and stuff on them - and I didn't like them.  Then my first boyfriend introduced them to me the baked way and I've loved them that way ever since.

Oh, God, the marshmallow. ...  :P  In my family, both sides of it, the cooks just used enough brown sugar and molasses to bring on a diabetic coma.

When I was in college, we always had a campus Thanksgiving Dinner about a week before Thanksgiving. The turkey was always served with baked sweet potatoes, sliced in half, as sort of a garnish around the edge of the platter. I'd just slap a little butter and salt on them, and thought they were very good eating that way.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 02:28:26 pm »
I didn't see beer or whiskey anywhere on the list.  Must be some kind of oversight.

Must be. Alcohol is an antiseptic, after all.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 03:01:26 pm »
The turkey was always served with baked sweet potatoes, sliced in half, as sort of a garnish around the edge of the platter. I'd just slap a little butter and salt on them, and thought they were very good eating that way.  :)

The traditional Thanksgiving dinner is actually quite healthy (and delicious imo).  I wish it were served more often.  I absolutely love real cranberry relish. I like it with ground-up cranberries, some orange (again), and some agave nectar to cut the tartness.  YUM!!  Vitamins and antioxidants out the wazoo, too.