Author Topic: Oh no! 2012!  (Read 10075 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Oh no! 2012!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 04:57:20 am »
2012 ey?
I better start to make print outs of my favorite fan fics so that I´ll survive the post Apocalypse.

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 04:20:24 pm »
I do hope somebody at ABC news puts it on their calendar to start tracking the story a few  weeks before the Event, and films the reactions immediately after - in case  there should unaccountably be an after.  Will the originators of the warning get nervous a few days before and start elaborating to cover alternate possibilities just in case?   

Offline Andrew

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 05:10:18 pm »
2012 ey?
I better start to make print outs of my favorite fan fics so that I´ll survive the post Apocalypse.

What will I take?  Certainly, all 10,000 or 20,000 or however many it is of my books and CDs.  I can't leave behind the ones I haven't even read or listened to yet, can I ?  What was the point of all that anticipation, otherwise?  Surely Monteverdi, Scarlatti, Handel, Haydn, Schubert, Tchaikovsky, Debussy, Shostakovich and their fellow spirits, musical, literary and artistic, will survive the end of time?

Some special potted plants from the patio like the mandevilla and the oleander which I expect will survive the millennium, if they can survive this Boston winter indoors in less than ideal conditions. 

On the other hand, all the junk in my store room I'm leaving.  I only committed to keeping that worthless stuff till the end of time, I don't care what happens to it after that.   

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 04:07:22 am »
great to see you Andrew!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Andrew

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 05:50:34 pm »
And it's great to be here, thanks for saying so, Kelda.  I've spent precious little of my time away enjoying those books and music and this forum, and a precious lot (too precious) on my job and my other 'job', both of which have been in  'Andrew! ...Andrew! ...Andrew!' mode all year.

Maybe 2012 will finally rescue me from all that...That's the claim, isn't it?

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 07:24:40 pm »
2012 ey?

Nah - 2012? I guess that's when the world ends and lasses like you and me march off to hell.

:o

;)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 07:47:55 pm »
2012 ey?

Good point.  We still need to trade some recs, if memory serves.  I could read Spuffy happily this weekend.

I love one comment - I can't remember if it's actually in the series or if it's from a slash story - but Xander is lamenting needing to know the plural of the world apocalypse.

;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Mayan says 2012 a bunch of Western hooey
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 12:25:09 am »
MEXICO CITY – Apolinario Chile Pixtun is tired of being bombarded with frantic questions about the Mayan calendar supposedly "running out" on Dec. 21, 2012. After all, it's not the end of the world.

Or is it?

Definitely not, the Mayan Indian elder insists. "I came back from England last year and, man, they had me fed up with this stuff."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091011/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_apocalypse2012

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 06:12:21 pm »
Well, at least the Mayans were correct that they wouldn't need their calendar beyond that date.

Quite so, Clyde.  You can always be counted on as the voice of reason.  ;D

It's not just the Mayans who zeroed in on 2012 as the end of some cycle.  The I Ching has also been used to support the apocalyptic theories:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon#Timewave_zero_and_the_I_Ching

I just hope I'm not cheated out of seeing "The Hobbit, Part Two" by the big fracas in question.  ;)

What will I take?  Certainly, all 10,000 or 20,000 or however many it is of my books and CDs.  I can't leave behind the ones I haven't even read or listened to yet, can I ?  What was the point of all that anticipation, otherwise?  Surely Monteverdi, Scarlatti, Handel, Haydn, Schubert, Tchaikovsky, Debussy, Shostakovich and their fellow spirits, musical, literary and artistic, will survive the end of time?

Call me crazy, but I would have included Mozart and Beethoven, too.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 06:41:16 pm »
And J.S. Bach, Vivaldi and Corelli! ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.