Author Topic: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!  (Read 50209 times)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
"Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!
« on: October 02, 2009, 02:04:56 pm »
When I inquired about the installation of the Brokeback Mountain Shirts at the Autry National Center Musuem in LA (that I visited this summer), I was told that there would be an associated panel discussion.  It's happenin Sunday, December 13 !   :)  Below is the E-mail I just got from the Autry Center Public Relations Manager.

Anyone want to redline it to LA in December???   ;D

I will post when they get the panelists lined up and let me know who they are.

Pete

In a message dated 10/2/2009 10:23:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

Hi Pete,

I just got word that the panel discussion will take place December 13 from 2 to 5pm. It’s called Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar? We do not have the panelists lined up yet but I’ll keep you posted. There will be a total of 4 panel discussions over a 12 month period.

On December 13th, 2009, Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar? will be the first public LGBT program inspired by the installation of the iconic shirts from  “Brokeback Mountain.”  In this initial symposium, we bring together experts and advocates to explore the provocative question, “Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?”  In particular, that query invites commentary from a variety of perspectives about the history of homosexuality and its representation in the American West before, during, and after the era depicted in “Brokeback Mountain.”

Yadhira De Leon13/09
Sr. Manager, Public Relations
Autry National Center
323.667.2000, ext. 327
[email protected]
http://www.autrynationalcenter.org/brokeback_mountain.php

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:09:23 pm by atz75 »
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 02:08:13 pm »
You ask me, we have the panelists right here on BetterMost, you included Pete.

Thanks for letting us know.  I would love to come to this, and might.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 02:19:06 pm »
Wow that is so cool, thanks for letting us know Pete and I agree with you Elle!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 02:29:44 pm »
I will be in attendance for sure.  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 02:49:50 pm »
This event sounds promising. Yay for Pete and Eric and possibly Clarissa! :D

Los Angeles, huh?
I'd love to attend. But there's an ocean and a whole continent between me and LA.

I checked the distance, just for fun. It's almost 10 000 kilometers (almost 6000 miles).

BTW, I love the title "Whatever happened to Ennis Del Mar?" :)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 02:52:51 pm »
Cool beans.

You bet I will try to attend.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 03:39:10 pm »
oh oh oh this sounds great.

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 04:31:26 am »
Thanks Pete!
Will look very much forward to hearing from the lucky ones who will have been able to make it.

BbM, I swear

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 09:45:21 pm »
Sounds great, Pete!  It'll be interesting to see who ends up on the panel.  They ought to ask Larry and Diana.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 11:50:58 pm »
They oughta ask a BetterMostian!

Oh, looking back, I guess Elle already said that. Welle, she's right!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 01:53:34 am »
You ask me, we got a rootin' tootin' panel right on this thread.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 02:28:24 am »
I  don't think there's anyone -- with the possible exception of Annie Proulx herself -- who is more knowledgeable on the subject of Ennis Del Mar than the people on this site.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 02:48:41 am »
I  don't think there's anyone -- with the possible exception of Annie Proulx herself -- who is more knowledgeable on the subject of Ennis Del Mar than the people on this site.

Certainly, Ennis isn't.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 04:03:06 am »
They oughta ask a BetterMostian!

Oh, looking back, I guess Elle already said that. Welle, she's right!

Do you think they cover the travel expenses for the panelists?  ;)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 04:03:51 am »

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 07:02:18 am »
Sounds so interesting, I wish I had a pile of money to use on such an occation.....but sorry, no pile...... :-\
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 04:18:46 pm »
Remember that the panel is NOT really about Ennis, but is "commentary from a variety of perspectives about the history of homosexuality and its representation in the American West before, during, and after the era depicted in “Brokeback Mountain.”

If anyone wants to provide input or suggest panelists, why don't you contact

Yadhira De Leon, Sr. Manager, Public Relations, Autry National Center
323.667.2000, ext. 327
[email protected]
www.autrynationalcenter.org

Pete

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 08:43:38 am »
This sounds really interesting, I'd love to attend.

But I got the same problem ocean-and-continent-and-money-wise as a few other people here.  >:(

Looking forward to the reports from those who're able to be there, though!!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 02:16:30 am »
I'll go. Pete, keep me posted.

Heathen

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 02:28:05 am »
Wish I could go.  I would be there with bells on!

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 01:29:03 am »
I just got the detailed information on this event from the Autry Museum!   :)

http://www.autrynationalcenter.org/images/outwest.jpg

I will try to be there.  If anyone else is coming from the San Francisco Bay Area, Southwest
flights are $49 each way - and there could also the possibility of a Brokie train trip!!   :)

Pete

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: [email protected]
Sent: 11/23/2009 3:51:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: Autry Explores LGBT Community with New "Out West" Series

Autry National Center

4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, CA 90027

323.667.2000, www.autrynationalcenter.org

Attached image: Brokeback Mountain shirts. Collection of Tom Gregory. Photo by Susannah Leam.

Please see attached invite jpg.

Autry National Center Explores LGBT Community in the American West

With Inaugural Out West Series

“What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar?”

December 13, 3:00–5:00 p.m., Free

Seen Through the Lens of Brokeback Mountain,

First Program in Out West Series Includes Film Critic Kenneth Turan

Major Support Provided by HBO

Los Angeles (November 23, 2009) — The Autry National Center, the first major American museum to recognize the contributions of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community to the American West, is proud to announce the creation of the Out West series.  This series of programs, scheduled to take place over the next twelve months, will feature Western scholars, authors, artists, politicians, musicians, and friends of Western LGBTs in discussions and gallery talks at the Autry.  Programs currently being considered examine LGBT Native Americans, LGBT rodeo culture, LGBT political strides including the struggle for marriage equality, and LGBT contributions to the Western arts.

“What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar?” is the first program in the Out West series. When Gene Autry issued his ten-point “Cowboy Code” in the 1940s, he could not have anticipated the story of Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist, but the messages of tolerance, fairness, and integrity the Code promotes speak to the acceptance for which the Brokeback Mountain characters longed. Their story is the departure point for this first discussion.  Scheduled for December 13 in the Wells Fargo theater, the panel will be moderated by Virginia Scharff, author and professor of history/director of the Center for the Southwest at the University of New Mexico. The program focuses on the representation of homosexuality in the West before, during, and after the era depicted in the movie, and explores the Academy Award–winning film’s significance in renewing the Western film for contemporary audiences.

Panelists will also discuss Brokeback Mountain’s impact as a pop-cultural milestone pointing to larger societal conflicts, such as the “red state/blue state” schism that mirrors rural and urban demographics—a divide that often compels LGBT Westerners to reluctantly abandon rural homes in search of more inclusive enclaves in larger urban areas. The panel includes Los Angeles Times and NPR film critic Kenneth Turan; Peter M. Nardi, Ph.D., author and professor of sociology at Pitzer College; and William Handley, associate professor of English at the University of Southern California and editor of The Brokeback Book (forthcoming).

“We are proud to be a sponsor of Out West,” said Michael Lombardo, President, Programming and West Coast Operations, HBO, “The Autry National Center is to be commended for shining a spotlight on the contributions of the LGBT community to the history and culture of the American West. As a major Western cultural institution, they have taken the lead in engaging contemporary LGBT issues in an unprecedented forum. We wish them continued success with their extraordinary programming mission.”  

Conceived by Gregory Hinton, consulting producer for the series, Out West was inspired not only by the Autry’s recent installation of the iconic shirts worn by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in the film Brokeback Mountain but also by the permanent inclusion of the International Gay Rodeo Association's (IGRA) archives into the Autry Library (both facilitated by Hinton). Mrs. Gene Autry presided over a launch event in August 2009 celebrating the loan of the shirts from collector Tom Gregory, who won them at a charity auction and shared Hinton’s vision for using them toward a greater good. At the installation of the iconic shirts, the Autry National Center’s President and CEO John Gray said, “The American West is a place for all of us, and all of us have a place in the West.”

“For me,” said Gregory Hinton, who was born in Montana and raised in Wyoming, “the Out West series at the Autry National Center, and all of the experts and participants involved, underscores the need for gay men and women who leave their rural communities to reclaim their country heritage. They may find safety and companionship in cities, but they leave behind a spirit and a connection to the land that cannot be replaced. For those of us who come from the West, it’s in our blood and never lets us go.”

The Out West series at the Autry National Center is made possible through the generous support of Tom Gregory, HBO, the Gill Foundation, and the Small Change Foundation, in association with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), and the Courage Campaign.

About the Panel Moderator:

Virginia Scharff is professor of history and director of the Center for the Southwest at the University of New Mexico. Her scholarly works include Taking the Wheel: Women and the Coming of the Motor Age (1991); Twenty Thousand Roads: Women, Movement, and the West (2003); Present Tense: The United States Since 1945 (1996); Coming of Age: America in the Twentieth Century (1998); and the edited volume, Seeing Nature Through Gender (2003). She is the Women of the West Chair at the Autry National Center in Los Angeles, and a Fellow of the Society of American Historians, and was the Beinecke Senior Research Fellow in the Lamar Center for Frontiers and Borders at Yale University (2008-9). Scharff’s work-in-progress, The Women Jefferson Loved, will be published by HarperCollins in 2010. She is also the author of four mystery suspense novels, written under the name of VIRGINIA SWIFT: Brown-Eyed Girl (2000), Bad Company (2002), Bye, Bye, Love (2004), and Hello, Stranger (2006).

About the Panelists:

William Handley is an associate professor of English at the University of Southern California who teaches and writes on the literature and culture of the American West. He is the author of Marriage, Violence, and the Nation in the American Literary West, coeditor of an essay collection on Western authenticity, and the editor of The Brokeback Book, to be published around the fifth anniversary of Brokeback Mountain by University of Nebraska Press. He has also written on 19th-century anti-polygamy rhetoric and the contemporary rhetoric against gay marriage.

Peter M. Nardi, Ph.D. is professor of sociology at Pitzer College, a member of the Claremont Colleges. He is the author of Gay Men’s Friendships: Invincible Communities (Chicago, 1999); editor of Men’s Friendships (Sage, 1992) and Gay Masculinities (Sage, 2000); coeditor of Social Perspectives in Lesbian & Gay Studies: A Reader (Routledge, 1998); Growing Up Before Stonewall: Lifestories of Some Gay Men (Routledge, 1994); and In Changing Times: Gay Men & Lesbians Encounter HIV/AIDS (Chicago, 1997). He also wrote two textbooks in survey research methods and formerly served as co-president of GLAAD/LA, chair of the Lesbian & Gay Caucus of the American Sociological Association, and president of the Pacific Sociological Association.

Kenneth Turan is the film critic for the Los Angeles Times and NPR's Morning Edition, as well as the director of the Los Angeles Times Book Prizes. He has been a staff writer for the Washington Post and TV Guide, and served as the Times' book review editor. A graduate of Swarthmore College and Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism, he is the coauthor of Call Me Anna: The Autobiography of Patty Duke. He teaches film reviewing and nonfiction writing at USC and is on the board of directors of the National Yiddish Book Center. His most recent books are Doubleday’s Free For All: Joe Papp, the Public and the Greatest Theater Story Ever Told: the University of California Press’s Sundance to Sarajevo: Film Festivals and the World They Made; and Never Coming to a Theater Near You, published by Public Affairs Press.

About Gregory Hinton, Consulting Producer, Out West

The son of a country newspaper editor, Gregory Hinton was born in Wolf Point, Montana, on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. Raised in Cody, Wyoming, Hinton graduated from the University of Colorado at Boulder, which he attended on a creative writing scholarship. He is the author of four critically acclaimed novels, including Cathedral City (2001), Desperate Hearts (2002), The Way Things Ought to Be (2003), and Santa Monica Canyon (2007). All of his books are endorsed by the American Library Association’s Booklist, among other national reviews. Hinton is also an independent filmmaker whose credits include It’s My Party (1996), which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, and Circuit (2003), which received international theatrical distribution. For his fifth novel, Night Rodeo, Gregory Hinton participated in a 2009 Spring Residency at the prestigious Ucross Foundation in Wyoming.

About the Autry National Center

The Autry National Center is an intercultural history center dedicated to exploring the experiences and perceptions of the diverse peoples of the American West. The Autry celebrates the cultures of the American West through three institutions on two Los Angeles campuses: the Southwest Museum of the American Indian in Mt. Washington; the Museum of the American West in Griffith Park; and the Institute for the Study for the American West, which comprises the Braun Research Library and the Autry Library and is headquartered in Griffith Park.

The hours of operation for Autry National Center’s museum at its Griffith Park location are Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Autry Store’s weekday hours are Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and the Golden Spur Cafe is open Tuesday through Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday hours for the museum and the Autry Store are 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The museum, the Autry Store, and the cafe are closed on Mondays.

Museum admission is $9 for adults, $5 for students and seniors 60+, $3 for children 3–12, and free for Autry members, veterans, and children 2 and under. Admission is free on the second Tuesday of every month.

###

For press inquiries only, contact:

Yadhira De Leon

Sr. Manager, Public Relations

Autry National Center

323.667.2000, ext. 327

[email protected]

www.autrynationalcenter.org

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 03:08:24 pm »
THis is very tempting! I'll get out my calendar...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 05:40:20 pm »

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 06:46:34 pm »
Ok. That´s it. I´m gonna have to invent some kind of space portal....but don´t worry. I have almost three weeks to get it done.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 03:09:01 am »
Yep Yep.  I'm thinkin' train ride down on the Coast Starlight on Saturday, museum and panel discussion on Sunday, and then flyin' back Monday mornin'...   :)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 02:35:43 pm »
What can I do to tempt you enough into comming to LA?   :)

THis is very tempting! I'll get out my calendar...
Pete

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 03:22:24 am »
We received a special invitation from Gregory Hinton today.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm attaching an announcement/invitation to our first panel series at the Autry National Center in Los Angeles, Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?  HBO is sponsoring, as is the Gill Foundation among others.

A year ago, without knowing any of the players, I approached the International Gay Rodeo Association and the owner of the Brokeback Shirts to ask if I could offer them for display to the Autry Museum. The Autry agreed, and six months later, both are installed and in place.

The first Out West panel is December 13th. We expect to be sold out, but I would like to hold a block of seats for members of the forum who live in the area, or might be travelling here.

I was born in Montana, a kid in Wyoming and grew up in Denver. I came out in Boulder 35 years ago.

Best,

Gregory Hinton

Consulting Producer, Out West

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 03:24:13 am »
I have contacted Mr. Hinton to thank him and to let him know that YES we would love a block of seats.

So let's try to get a good head count so I can let him know how many seats we need.

I think it's going to be a full house.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 12:45:33 pm »
Message from Gregory Hinton today:

Please let the members of the Forum know that what the Autry is doing with Out West is unprecedented. Western museums are traditionally very conservative. My personal goal is to go where no gay man has gone. When 25 members of the Gay Rodeo showed up at the installation of the Brokeback Shirts, it was very moving and powerful

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 01:24:29 pm »
What a great message!! I'm looking hard at my calendar and poking around in my thin dusty wallet. Where are y'all staying??

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 02:33:34 pm »
Eric and I will be getting to the museum early, as they have several interesting exhibits.

Pete

Autry Museum – Current exhibits:

http://www.autrynationalcenter.org/#

Dreamers in Dream City - September 25, 2009, through January 3, 2010Native son and photographer Harry Brant Chandler brings to the Autry National Center a set of compelling and evocative color portraits, personal insights, and biographies of fifty-four of the most accomplished and colorful men and women from the City of Angels in the new exhibition, Dreamers in Dream City. From immigrants to billionaires, unknowns to the world-famous, surfers to moviemakers, quacks to rocket scientists, dreamers are and have always been attracted to Los Angeles and its surrounding areas. Those who live there know that Southern California has the potential to provide the opportunity to turn dreams into fantastic realities. Chandler is a fifth-generation member of the Chandlers and Brants in Los Angeles, families whose dreams helped shaped the city—from the founding and running of the Los Angeles Times to numerous civic, business, and real estate endeavors. Chandler believes that the Los Angeles he knows so well is not a city of nostalgia but rather a dynamic, always-moving metropolis where the dreamers who made their mark years ago are still visible in our everyday lives. Chandler’s choice to colorize and customize the older photographs is based on his heartfelt notion that yesterday’s dreamers who have long since passed are as vibrant today as when their dreams were first born. As he merges past and present using the newest technologies, his artistic portrait photography proves that the impact of Dream City is timeless.

Charting the Canyon - view the majestic Grand Canyon through large-scale, sweeping panoramas that marry 21st-century color photographs with historic drawings and images. Charting the Canyon: Photographs by Mark Klett & Byron Wolfe explores this celebrated place of dramatic beauty, featuring the vivid colors, breathtaking vistas, and jaw-dropping canyon depths that have lured photographers to Northern Arizona for years. The canyon is perhaps the world's best "photo op," as it is not only a national park and international tourist attraction but also a natural wonder and sacred ground. In 2007, Mark Klett, a Regents Professor at Arizona State U, and Byron Wolfe, a former student of Klett's and now a Lantis University Professor at California State University at Chico, headed to the Grand Canyon to re-envision the many images made at the site over the past 150 years. During 2 summers of fieldwork, they identified exact locations portrayed in early photographs and drawings. From those geographic points they created new photographs that incorporate the original view. Digital versions of historic images are inserted within the contemporary photograph, creating combined images that convey big picture surrounding the earlier artists' depicted view.

The Art of Native American Basketry: A Living Tradition November 7, 2009 - May 30, 2010 The Art of Native American Basketry: A Living Tradition is a comprehensive exhibition presented by the Autry National Center.   Baskets from more than 100 cultures, arranged in eleven geographic regions, will be revealed in this selection of artworks from the world's largest collection of Native American baskets.  The exhibition opens November 6, 2009, and runs through May 30, 2010. More than 250 objects will be on view, ranging in size from small Pomo feather baskets made for sale to tourists, to massive Apache olla baskets used for storing large quantities of seeds. Because the works shown have been selected from a remarkably wide-ranging and distinguished collection, visitors will be able to see how the materials, techniques, and designs of the baskets vary from region to region, reflecting different physical environments and traditions. Also evident will be the distinctive styles of individual artists, whose signatures can be instantly recognizable to other weavers. The Autry has invited thirteen contemporary basketweavers to serve as consultants in research and planning and will purchase a basket from each consultant to add to the permanent collection. The Art of Native American Basketry is drawn from the nearly 14,000 baskets in the collection of the Southwest Museum of the American Indian, considered to be one of the premier holdings of its kind in the world. The exhibition will be presented at the Autry’s Museum of the American West in Griffith Park. Both institutions are part of the Autry National Center, an intercultural organization dedicated to expanding our understanding of the diverse peoples of the American West.

Karen Kitchel: Seasonal Overture (Autry) July 17, 2009, through January 3, 2010 The flag of my disposition, out of hopeful green stuff woven- Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass The details of nature – the grasses and leaves underneath our feet – may seem less significant than the mountains, waterfalls, and cliffs that occupy our imaginations, but they have an important role to play in the visual history of the American West. Since the nineteenth century, many Western artists have relied upon a detail-oriented approach to landscape in order to validate their work as “authentic.” Nineteenth century painters Albert Bierstadt and Thomas Moran filled their foregrounds with rocks, grasses, and meadows, reflecting their awareness of geology and natural history. Despite these connections, Western landscapes then and now often focus on the monumental and symbolic phenomenon of mountains, lakes, and canyons. Widely seen in paintings and photographs of the romantic era to the present, the traditional approach tends to view the landscape from a distance in order to encompass as much space as possible. Western landscapes thus often overlook the surface of the terrain in favor of grand vistas and the power and control that they imply.  Karen Kitchel’s Seasonal Overture challenges this approach by bringing the viewer into close contact with the landscape surface. The series consists of forty individual oil paintings on plywood panels constructed by the artist. Together, they represent four different places and seasons: Dead Grass Winter (Wyoming); Dead Grass Early Spring (Montana); Dying Grass Autumn (Colorado); and Mature Grass Summer (California). Just as the natural cycles of growth and death are charted through the change of season, so are the different colors, textures, and character of these distinct places. All works in this installation are on loan courtesy of the artist.

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 03:18:40 pm »
So let's start a list here:

Definite:
PTannen
sfericsf
BayCityJohn

Maybe:
KillersMom
enjaRouxB
Front-Ranger

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 03:33:13 pm »
I'm pretty sure Linda is going. We just need to figure out if we're returning late Sunday or early Monday.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 05:18:09 pm »
Pete and I are riding Amtrak down on Saturday.  We are staying at the Metro Plaza Hotel across the street from LA Union Train Station.  There is a public bus that goes from there right to the Autry Museum.  I am flying back Monday Morning.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 10:36:11 am »
I heard from Deb (Dejavu) that she might be going too. If I go, I will probably fly back Monday nite.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 02:26:28 pm »
Looks like there are other forums discussing the event  ;D

The Hall Monitor Gives Brokeback Feedback

Hall monitors have been the bane of my life. I've always hated hall monitors. All through school, I was never good enough to be one, and the ones who were, always seemed to catch me and punish me every chance they got, which, I seem to remember, was quite often. So, it's a little ironic that as the co-moderator of this site with Trish Brink, now I are one.

Furthermore, it's not my idea of fun to tell other people when to shut up, or even when to tone it down. After all, I've made a career out of being outrageous, crude and rude.

As Doc Holliday croaked on his deathbed, "This is funny."

So, here we are, fresh off a blood bath precipitated by some irresponsible jerk who posted a blog about the Autry and their upcoming show on all things Brokeback Mountain.

http://truewest.ning.com/profiles/blog/show?id=2518161%3ABlogPost%3A108352&page=2#comments

And here's where it started:

Brokeback Mountains And Molehills

http://truewest.ning.com/profiles/blogs/brokeback-mountains-and

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 02:27:26 pm »
I did see one person on that site who says she is going to attend  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 02:30:45 pm »
This sounds so cool!

I wish I could go!

Would folks mind if we link this event to the BetterMost calendar?  It might be nice to highlight this event since is sounds so significant.

:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 03:03:11 pm »
I sure wouldn't mind  :)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 03:09:20 pm »
Between Bettermost and DC we have 11 attending so far. I'm still working on a few people in L.A.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 03:10:20 pm »

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2009, 05:10:31 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2009, 05:43:22 pm »

Cool item! True West had some good coverage of the movie when it came out. Was that also where AP published her first stories?

I love the pink "2" in the movie poster and "The Fur Traders" hehe! But I think they should be Chilean sheepmistresses.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2009, 06:19:20 pm »
Any volunteers for an interview??

Message from Gregory Hinton today:

Hi John: We are planning to film this event, and I wonder if you can designate a spokesperson from your group who would agree to a brief interview... The press is intrigued with the Forum as they are with the Gay Rodeo association. Just so I don't offend, is "Brokie" a term you all like?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2009, 11:53:59 pm »

Darn, looks like some of the juicy posts have been deleted....   :laugh:

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2009, 12:00:14 pm »
Just so I don't offend, is "Brokie" a term you all like?

:laugh: :laugh:  What a fabulous question!!  I love it!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2009, 04:44:16 pm »
This was posted today on Down With Tyranny

What Ever Happened To Ennis Del Mar? The Contributions Of Gays To The Olde American West

Wednesday, New York State joined California and Maine in voting down marriage equality. That same day, I learned that the Autry National Center, just a hop, skip and a jump from where I live in Los Angeles, had recently become the first institution of its kind to formally acknowledge the contributions of the LGBT community to Western American culture. On December 13, they will launch Out West, a four-part year-long series exploring the topic, with the program “What Ever Happened To Ennis Del Mar?”  L.A. Times film critic Kenneth Turan, USC Professor William Handley and Pitzer Professor Peter Nardi are on a panel moderated by University of New Mexico Professor Virginia Scharff. It seemed timely to support the strides that have been made with the Autry’s unprecedented programming-- remarkable for a conservative institution, especially given what is transpiring in the political arena-- and to point out the importance of engaging in such discussions.  To that end, I invited author and filmmaker Gregory Hinton, who conceived the Out West series, to post about the project:

OUT WEST AT THE AUTRY

-by Gregory Hinton

Like a molten branding iron, the acclaimed Laramie Project and the groundbreaking Brokeback Mountain seared into the collective national consciousness the notion that it might not be so easy to be Gay in the West. Both were deeply elegiac yet phenomenally successful, critically and commercially. And it makes me wonder.

If it’s really so bad in the rural west, why does anybody gay stay? With all the risks, what are the rewards? What’s it really like to be Gay or Lesbian and ‘out’ in the American West?

The rewards are many for those LGBTs who remain in the rural West. For those of us who come from the west, it is in our blood and never lets us go.

To that point, I recently returned to Wyoming with the ashes of my older brother, who also happened to be gay and scattered them, per his wishes, (with those of his partner of thirty years) in the Crazy Woman Creek in the blue shadow of the Big Horn Mountains. After decades in urban Southern California, my western brother yearned for his rural past till the end.

Here's the link to the full article:

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-ever-happened-to-ennis-del-mar.html

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2009, 07:14:04 pm »
I mentioned to Gregory that Brokenback Mountain is just a few miles from Crazy Woman Creek, and that several of us have been to the creek and canyon.

his reply:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very, very touched by your first note. It was my brother's birthday yesterday. We were very close.

I spent a month at the Ucross Foundation (an arts retreat) near Sheridan last February. Annie Proulx is on the board and wrote portions of Close Range and Shipping News there.

The first day, they took us into the hills on what I now call "The Brokeback Tour."  Our guide pointed out a forlorn cabin owned by someone named Childress, which is where she got the name of Jack Twist's town in Texas.

She also told us that Ang Lee scouted locations here at Proulx's request. This may be folklore, but he apparently stopped at a bar down the road from Ucross, and got thrown out by the owner who did not like Asians or Gays and that's why he took his business to Canada.

It rattled me. It changed the dynamic of the entire retreat, which was already charged with the fact that I was doing research about my wonderful dad and had the ashes of my brother and his lover in my studio.

When I scattered them in the creek on a clear, cold February morning, they were reunited forever.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2009, 07:40:44 pm »
I mentioned to Gregory that Brokenback Mountain is just a few miles from Crazy Woman Creek, and that several of us have been to the creek and canyon.

his reply:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very, very touched by your first note. It was my brother's birthday yesterday. We were very close.

I spent a month at the Ucross Foundation (an arts retreat) near Sheridan last February. Annie Proulx is on the board and wrote portions of Close Range and Shipping News there.

The first day, they took us into the hills on what I now call "The Brokeback Tour."  Our guide pointed out a forlorn cabin owned by someone named Childress, which is where she got the name of Jack Twist's town in Texas.

She also told us that Ang Lee scouted locations here at Proulx's request. This may be folklore, but he apparently stopped at a bar down the road from Ucross, and got thrown out by the owner who did not like Asians or Gays and that's why he took his business to Canada.

It rattled me. It changed the dynamic of the entire retreat, which was already charged with the fact that I was doing research about my wonderful dad and had the ashes of my brother and his lover in my studio.

When I scattered them in the creek on a clear, cold February morning, they were reunited forever.
thank you for posting. Beautiful and interesting

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 04:03:03 pm »
Julian Ayrs has posted info for the event on his blog 'The Tattler'

http://ijulian.blogspot.com/2009/12/gene-autry-museumout-west-series-to.html

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 04:04:01 pm »
Here's a link to Kenneth Turan's review of Brokeback Mountain from December 2005, just in case anyone missed it. as if.

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/turan/cl-et-brokeback9dec09,0,186375.story

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2009, 01:35:45 pm »
his reply:

Facinating!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2009, 01:50:18 am »

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2009, 12:58:05 pm »
Current attendee list

1 Ronald    (friend of Pete)         
2 Steve      (friend of Pete)
3 Tom          (friend of Pete)
4 Greg                               (friend of Pete)       
5 Pete Tannen
6 Eric Hooper
7 John Trudell
8 Linda Andrews
9 scot5636
10 deblibdir (DC)
11 Michael Flanagan
12 Jimmy (gnash)
13Jim Grr
14 Joe Denny (WLAGuy)
15 Lyle           
16 Sparky      (tentative)                             
17 RouxB       (tentative)
18 Welles
19 sunspot
20 RickB

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2009, 04:55:33 pm »
Out West Event at The Autry: "It's My History Too"
Filed by: Patricia Nell Warren

December 10, 2009 3:00 PM

Back in August, I reported on a historic event at The Autry National Center of the American West in Los Angeles. As I stood in the crowd with L.A. press, museum staff and Stetson-topped members of the International Gay Rodeo Association, (IGRA) the two iconic cowboy shirts worn by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain were installed in the museum's showcase on classic Contemporary Westerns. Just yards away was another exhibit featuring cowboy wear and horse gear that belonged to founder and famed actor Gene Autry himself. The two shirts, tucked together on their hanger as in the film, had been put on loan by vintage Westerniana collector Tom Gregory.

That event sparked the planning of "Out West," a series of upcoming lectures at The Autry, which will explore -- for the first time ever -- the LGBT side of Western history -- from gunfighters to women ranchers and Native American healers, and of course that provocative male figure, the cowboy. This coming Sunday, December 13, "Out West" will offer its first program from 3:00 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Panelists: William Handley, USC professor of English; Peter Nardi, Pitzer professor of sociology; and Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times film critic. With support from moderator Virginia Scharff, professor of history at the University of New Mexico, the three will dig deep into the canyon walls of contemporary Western life, to excavate some answers to that question: "What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar?"

The film left that question hanging in the air.

Though many Americans today think of the West as that phalanx of "red states" on the TV map during election night, the West can surprise with its sudden shiftings of spiritual sunlight and shadow, its social landslides that can reveal unsuspected layerings of raw experience and challenge. In fact, the West's essential quirkiness has enabled all kinds of LGBT people to find something out here -- from hiding places to homes. At times, we have not only survived here, but thrived here.

Arrival of the two shirts inspired the Autry's staff to decide that they wanted to explore those centuries of hidden LGBT lives. In so doing, The Autry became the first major American museum to recognize the contribution of LGBT people to the American West.

Sponsors of the series have been generous with their support -- Tom Gregory, HBO, the Gill Foundation, and the Small Change Foundation, in association with GLAAD, HRC, the Courage Campaign, and the Gay and Lesbian Rodeo Heritage Foundation.

Looking Back
Creator and consulting producer of the series is Montana, Wyoming, Colorado-raised author and filmmaker Gregory Hinton, the man who brought Tom Gregory and the shirts to The Autry.

In Los Angeles the other day, at a little French eatery on 3rd Avenue, I sat with Gregory over brunch and we "chewed the rag," as my rancher dad used to say, about growing up gay in the West. There we were in the West's vastest city, geographically far from our childhood haunts, yet spiritually still close to -- and making our peace with -- those powerful influences of land and weather and people and conquest that shaped us both.

I asked Gregory how and why, after writing books and making films, he took an unexpected trail to planning these historic history lectures.

"It started with my dad," he told me, "-- with going back to Cody, Wyoming, where I grew up as a boy."

Kip Hinton had been editor of the Cody Enterprise, founded by Buffalo Bill. A fire had destroyed an archive of the newspaper's original copies, but the Autry Library arranged to borrow microfilm of the complete set from 1956-1962, when Gregory lived in Cody. Rediscovering all the wonderful columns that his dad had written, with their small-town humor and skill at saying a lot with few words, Gregory found himself reconnecting with his home state as a grown man, in a way that he had never dared to do as a kid.

"And the sole reason for not being there before," he told me, "was because I was gay."

Early this year, while working on his latest novel Night Rodeo, Gregory discovered The Autry and started going there to write. Setting up his laptop in a quiet corner of the sunny patio, he sometimes took a break to wander through the galleries so richly crammed with arts and artifacts and memorabilia -- with The Autry's original Museum of the American West made even vaster by addition of the Southwest Museum of the American Indian, and the Institute for Study of the American West.

"It was enormously comforting," Gregory said, "like walking through my childhood. The staff got used to having me around. I've probably been there a hundred times this year."

Looking at the Charlie Russell paintings and Remington bronzes and Indian arts, and hearing all the talk of "Western history," Gregory suddenly had another powerful sense of reconnection -- of ownership in something that he'd never felt was his before.

"It's my history too," he told me.

more....
http://www.bilerico.com/2009/12/out_west_event_at_the_autry_its_my_history_too.php

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 05:00:22 pm »
Current attendee list

1 Ronald    (friend of Pete)         
2 Steve      (friend of Pete)
3 Tom          (friend of Pete)
4 Greg                               (friend of Pete)       
5 Pete Tannen
6 Eric Hooper
7 John Trudell
8 Linda Andrews
9 scot5636
10 deblibdir (DC)
11 Michael Flanagan
12 Jimmy (gnash)
13Jim Grr
14 Joe Denny (WLAGuy)
15 Lyle           
16 Sparky      (tentative)                             
17 RouxB       (tentative)
18 Welles
19 sunspot
20 RickB

What a great group! I wish I could be there!  :'( I also wish I would see horsewrangler's name there too!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 09:09:07 pm »
The 'Out West' Series at the Autry National Center

Audio interview with Gregory Hinton on KUOR (Southern California Public Radio)

http://www.scpr.org/news/2009/12/10/out-west-series-autry-national-center/

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 09:27:10 pm »
“Better Two than One: THE SHIRTS FROM BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN”
Remarks by Gregory Hinton

excerpt:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is for this reason I look forward to working with Dr. Steve Aron on “Gay in the
West,” the symposium we are planning with the Autry Institute for the Study of
the American West and UCLA. We have some great speakers we want you to get
to know plus we want to hear your stories, also.

To know us is to love us. And that is why when we quit our rural communities,
they lose too.

In this regard, Annie Proulx recently wrote me the following:

I wish Mr. Hinton good fortune in his work. He is tragically
right when he says western rural communities lose very much
when gay men and women have to leave the state. I know some
gay people who have stayed. Gradually the community accepts
them, but only if they are born there.

I recently returned to Wyoming with the ashes of my beloved older brother,
Scotty, and Ron, his partner of thirty years. Before he died, my brother requested
that they be scattered in Crazy Woman Creek, in the shadow of the Big Horn
Mountains. After life in urban Southern California, my western brother yearned
for his rural past till the end.

For those of us who come from the West, it’s in our blood and never lets us go.
Seated here today, in this gallery called the Spirit of Imagination, are Saddle
Bronc Riders, Chute Doggers, Barrel Racers and Bull Riders, some who also
happen to be Gay or Lesbian. I look at them and ask you.

What is not to love?

When I study these intertwined shirts, like the character of Ennis Del Mar in
Brokeback Mountain, I am overcome with survivor’s guilt. Lovers, brothers, a
cowboy father wanting to protect his sons, when I look at the shirts, I am grateful
they will always be together. It makes sense. It’s what we all hope for. It’s what
anybody deserves. Better two than one. Better two together, than two alone.
I’ll close with a brief reading from Annie Proulx’s short story, Brokeback Mountain
and then I have a few people to thank.

(Remembering, here, Heath Ledger)

“The shirt seemed heavy until he saw there was another shirt inside it, the sleeves
carefully worked down inside Jack’s sleeves. It was his own plaid shirt, lost he’d thought,
in some damn laundry, his dirty shirt, the pocket ripped, buttons missing, stolen by Jack
and hidden here inside Jack’s own shirt, the pair like two skins, one inside the other, two
in one. He pressed his face into the fabric, and breathed in slowly through his mouth and
nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but
there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback
Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands.”

PDF of the complete Out West first chapter

http://media.scpr.org/images/news/2009/12/10/Autry_Comments-Hinton.pdf

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2009, 09:29:34 pm »
List as of 12-10

1 Ronald           
2 Steve                    
3 Tom      
4 Greg      
5 Pete Tannen         Lunch
6 Eric Hoooper      Lunch
7 John Trudell         Lunch
8 Linda Andrews         Lunch
9 Scott Price (scot5636)         
10 deblibdir Lunch
11 Michael Flanagan         Lunch
12 Jimmy (gnash)         
13Jim Grr         
14 Joe Denny (WLAGuy)          Lunch
15 Ernie         Lunch
16 Lyle  (Mooska)         
17 Welles      
18 Dan Flanery (sunspot)         
19 RickB         
20 Sparky   (tentative)                      
21 RouxB   (tentative)                      
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:02:02 am by Ellemeno »

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2009, 11:46:08 pm »
Autry National Center Holds Free “Out West” Panel Sunday, December 13

Please join GLAAD at the Autry National Center’s “Out West” series for the panel discussion “What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar?” on Sunday December 13, 2009 from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. at the Autry Center’s Wells Fargo Theater. The panel is a free event and the first in a series of programs examining the LGBT community’s contributions and influence in the American West and the Western genre.

Conceived by author and filmmaker Gregory Hinton, Out West follows the current installation at the Autry Center of the two intertwined shirts worn by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in Focus Features 2005 groundbreaking film Brokeback Mountain. The iconic shirts represent the struggle between heritage and acceptance in gay cowboy culture. The shirts are worn, with a slight red dust caked on the exposed areas that are not protected by the entwine, highlighting Out West’s focus on the LGBT community’s toil for safety and inclusion in the rural Western communities.

http://glaadblog.org/2009/12/10/autry-national-center-holds-free-out-west-panel-sunday-december-13/

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2009, 02:20:19 am »
The 'Out West' Series at the Autry National Center

Audio interview with Gregory Hinton on KUOR (Southern California Public Radio)

He says there are artifacts and archives from the last 35 years of gay rodeo also on display now at the Autry Museum.  I didn't see anything like that in September, so I'm looking forward to seeing that...

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2009, 12:49:58 pm »
Gregory Hinton Interview today

message from Greg:

-----------------------------------------------

Thanks for following my trail on the web. The Autry commented and appreciate your blogs. I was very happy about the NPR interview. Today we are being interviewed by NBC-4 to air this afternoon and tonight. LA Times will be covering on Sunday. Best. Greg

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2009, 01:20:35 pm »
postcard from Gregory

-------------------------------------------

The museum will be free after the lecture if anybody wants to wait, but only the upper galleries  It's 9 bucks for the general public before.  The lecture ,the reception afterward, and the upper galleries are free. I very much want photos and film of you all in front the shirts and in front of the Autry.  The Autry photographer will be getting there at 2:30.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2009, 01:29:22 pm »
Yes John..  ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2009, 01:53:22 pm »
Thank you John, for all the info and communitcation you bring over here. It goes without saying that I can't attent, but I find all this very interesting and follow the thread.
Yay for all you Brokies who will attent this event, and reunite! :D

We'll wait (im)patiently for reports and pics afterwards :). Have a great time!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2009, 02:06:40 pm »
List as of 12-11

1 Ronald                                     Lunch      
2 Steve                   
3 Tom         
4 Greg A.         
5 Pete Tannen         Lunch
6 Eric Hooper         Lunch
7 John Trudell         Lunch
8 Linda Andrews         Lunch
9 Scott Price (scot5636)         
10 deblibdir                                                Lunch
11 Michael Flanagan         Lunch
12 Jimmy (gnash)         Lunch
13Jim Grr                         Lunch
14 Joe Denny (WLAGuy)       Lunch
15 Ernie                         Lunch
16 Lyle  (Mooska)                      Lunch   
17  (Welles)         
18 Dan Flanery (sunspot)         
19 RickB         
20 Sparky   (tentative)                      
21 RouxB   (tentative)                      
22 Mary                                                    Lunch
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:19:37 am by BayCityJohn »

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2009, 04:03:26 pm »
Just in case I die before Sunday, here's the contact info for lunch reservations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi John,  Just let me know the date and time and I will have a table reserved for you. If the count goes up or down a few, just let us know that morning of.

Best, Carolyn

Carolyn Baer
Cheers Catering Inc.

[email protected]

The Autry National Center
4700 Western Heritage Way
Los Angeles, CA   90027
Phone: 323-667-9060
Fax: 323-667-2508

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2009, 12:34:29 am »
Waiting patiently for the report...

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2009, 05:04:51 am »

L to R

William Handley (panelist), Eric (Sfericsf), Tom Gregory (owner of the Brokeback shirts), BayCityJohn, Lyle, Pete Tannen (ptannen), Gregory Hinton (event organizer)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2009, 11:33:17 am »

L to R

William Handley (panelist), Eric (Sfericsf), Tom Gregory (owner of the Brokeback shirts), BayCityJohn, Lyle, Pete Tannen (ptannen), Gregory Hinton (event organizer)

Great picture!! More! More!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2009, 11:37:55 am »
Linda took more pics. we'll be posting more tonight after work.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2009, 04:56:04 pm »
Can't wait to see them!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2009, 05:17:51 pm »

L to R

I read that the first guy, William Handley, is writing or has written something called The Brokeback Book. Details, please!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2009, 05:29:00 pm »
Yes, William Handley is writing "The Brokeback Book".

It's supposed to be out sometime in 2010.

I might ask him for details, because there ain't much out there yet.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2009, 05:30:06 pm »
Tidbit

Tom Gregory told me that the shirts were in fact washed once before he received them  :o

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2009, 05:34:20 pm »
Tidbit

Tom Gregory told me that the shirts were in fact washed once before he received them  :o

:o

On one side it's understandable, but still ...
... it just feels wrong.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2009, 07:22:06 pm »
This is the video from NBC channel 4 that was shown over the weekend.

Gays, Lesbians Finally Get Their Due in a Western Museum

KNBC-TV

The Autry National Center, founded by Gene Autry, begins a series of events celebrating the LGBTQ contributions and involvement in Western life.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/station/as-seen-on/Gays__Lesbians_Finally_Get_Their_Due_in_a_Western_Museum_Los_Angeles.html

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2009, 08:25:43 pm »
Hey, seeing that news clip feels good.  Thanks John!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2009, 09:19:36 pm »
Kip Hinton had been editor of the Cody Enterprise, founded by Buffalo Bill. A fire had destroyed an archive of the newspaper's original copies, but the Autry Library arranged to borrow microfilm of the complete set from 1956-1962, when Gregory lived in Cody. Rediscovering all the wonderful columns that his dad had written, with their small-town humor and skill at saying a lot with few words, Gregory found himself reconnecting with his home state as a grown man, in a way that he had never dared to do as a kid.

"And the sole reason for not being there before," he told me, "was because I was gay."

The quote I bolded confuses me two ways:

1. Is "there" the Autry Library, his connection to his home state, or something else?

2. Regardless of what "there" is, what was it about being gay that had caused his separation?
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2009, 11:05:48 pm »

It was a great panel discussion.  I was captivated the whole time, and learned a lot of new things and new ideas explored.  I'm really looking forward to William Handley's book.   :)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2009, 11:50:35 pm »

2. Regardless of what "there" is, what was it about being gay that had caused his separation?

I'm assuming it was the same fear of getting beaten to death with a tire iron, or worse, that many of us had growing up in small towns.

We've been calling it 'destructive rural homophobia', or DRH on the forums for the past 4 years, and it's well documented.

Of course the same fear is possible in big cities too. That would be called 'Destructive Urban Homophobia' , or DUH

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2009, 12:39:14 am »

I'm assuming it was the same fear of getting beaten to death with a tire iron, or worse, that many of us had growing up in small towns.

We've been calling it 'destructive rural homophobia', or DRH on the forums for the past 4 years, and it's well documented.

Of course the same fear is possible in big cities too. That would be called 'Destructive Urban Homophobia' , or DUH

OK. So I guess its safe to assume "not being there" means he moved to LA.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2009, 12:52:21 am »
I guess that's a safe assumption

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2009, 12:54:56 am »
Radio interview with Gregory Hinton _Dec 14, 2009 from IMRU

IMRU is a weekly one-hour radio show made by a group of volunteers focusing on issues affecting the LGBT community in Southern California. IMRU airs on KPFK 90.7 Los Angeles on Mondays from 7-8 PM. KPFK is a Pacifica Radio Station.

The segment about the Autry event starts at 37:57 into the radio show.

There are also clips from archived interviews with Diana Ossana and Heath Ledger.

http://archive.kpfk.org/parchive/mp3/kpfk_091214_190030imru.MP3

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2009, 01:22:06 am »
L.A. Times article is online!

'Out West' at the Autry examines the history of homosexuals and transgender people in the Old West
Museum officials say the series may be the first of its kind.

Say the words "gay cowboy" and chances are the conversation will turn to "Brokeback Mountain," the 2005 film starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, and based on the Annie Proulx short story.

The Oscar-winning drama, which is set in the 1960s to '80s, highlighted a long-submerged facet of frontier culture. But as a new series at the Autry National Center shows, the presence of homosexuals and transgender individuals in the American West is much older than the movie might lead you to think. It is, in fact, almost as old as the West itself.

Take for instance the tale of One-Eyed Charlie.

A stagecoach driver known for his hard drinking and itchy trigger finger, Charlie worked for the California Stage Co., where he earned his reputation as one of the best drivers in the wild West. He traveled between Oregon and California and, the story goes, got his nickname when he lost an eye while attempting to shoe a horse.

But Charlie kept a secret that was revealed only after his death in 1879. When his body was being prepared, a coroner discovered that One-Eyed Charlie was actually a woman.

It turns out that Charlie, nee Charlotte Darkey Parkhurst, had passed much of her adult life as a man. The discovery of her true gender became a local sensation. And her story still fascinates U.S. historians, some of whom believe that she was the first woman to have voted in a presidential election, long before the ratification of the 19th Amendment in 1920.

Stories like One-Eyed Charlie's will be part of the Autry series titled "Out West," looking at the roles of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people in frontier history.

"It doesn't just start with 'Brokeback Mountain.' In a way, the movie is an exclamation point to that history," said Stephen Aron, an executive director at the Autry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Organizers are planning to return to "Brokeback Mountain" with a performance of fiction and other literature written by "Brokies" -- an informal group of fans who strongly identify with the film.

more....

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-et-out-west15-2009dec15,0,6149105,full.story

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2009, 02:05:20 am »

Organizers are planning to return to "Brokeback Mountain" with a performance of fiction and other literature written by "Brokies" -- an informal group of fans who strongly identify with the film.

more....

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-et-out-west15-2009dec15,0,6149105,full.story

It continues with:

Eric Hooper (!!!!), who lives in San Jose, is a Brokie who said he has seen the movie 56 times in theaters, flying across the country to catch screenings at various festivals and events.

The movie came as a revelation, he said, after living in a city for most of his adult life. "That's what really struck me about 'Brokeback' -- it presented the possibility of being gay and living in rural America."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2009, 02:05:51 am »
The word 'Brokie' is in the L.A. Times!!!!!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2009, 02:10:30 am »
Greg Hinton asked us if it was ok to call us 'Brokies'

We said "you bet" !

I thought he'd also mention DC and Bettermost, but I guess I assumed too much.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2009, 02:11:34 am »
Google the word 'brokies' and see what pops up  :)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2009, 02:14:01 am »
I own the domain name "Brokies.org".  ;D

Someone else has 'Brokies.com'  :(

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2009, 02:42:14 am »

I'd be interested to see which works of "fiction and other literature" are chosen for this event.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2009, 03:06:52 am »
I'd be interested to see which works of "fiction and other literature" are chosen for this event.

Stories and poetry from "Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film"

Music from "Meet Me on the Mountain" by Shawn Kirchner

and I haven't heard of any more yet.

I'm sure Gregory would welcome suggestions.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2009, 03:15:26 am »
The word 'Brokie' is in the L.A. Times!!!!!

Yay!
Feels good, doesn't it? :)

It continues with:

Eric Hooper (!!!!), who lives in San Jose, is a Brokie who said he has seen the movie 56 times in theaters, flying across the country to catch screenings at various festivals and events.

Yay again!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2009, 03:22:50 am »

Here's a suggestion. Greg Hinton said he wants to include music and other art in the event.

Quote from: milomorris
I'm happy as hell that Wourinen wrote Ennis as a bass-baritone. That is my fach. This means that I will have BBM material to sing at auditions, concerts, etc. The idea that I will have an opportunity someday step into the character of Ennis Del Mar--even if its only for 1 song--sends chills up my spine!! Who knows...I might even get to play him in some future production of this opera. I know, I know...but a man can dream, can't he??  ;D  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 03:32:12 am by Ellemeno »

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2009, 03:35:15 am »
Here's a suggestion

It would be great to get a preview of Wourinen's BBM opera.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2009, 03:36:46 am »
Yay!
Feels good, doesn't it? :)

Tell you what really felt good was when Gregory Hinton welcomed the Brokies at the start of the discussion and we all stood up and everyone applauded.

I hope they'll let us see that on the video.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2009, 03:37:59 am »
It would be great to get a preview of Wourinen's BBM opera.

I haven't read anything new about it in months.

Maybe someone in the business could contact him about that  ;)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2009, 03:46:49 am »
I haven't read anything new about it in months.

Maybe someone in the business could contact him about that  ;)

I second that emotion!  All it says at his website is:

"Wuorinen is at work on an opera based on Annie Proulx’s short story BROKBACK MOUNTAIN.
Libretto written by Annie Proulx. Premiere in 2013. More details forthcoming."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2009, 03:48:01 am »

"Wuorinen is at work on an opera based on Annie Proulx’s short story BROKBACK MOUNTAIN.
Libretto written by Annie Proulx. Premiere in 2013. More details forthcoming."

Perfect for every four fuckin years!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2009, 04:36:28 am »
Wuorinen is at work on an opera based on Annie Proulx’s short story BROKBACK MOUNTAIN.

That's scary. If he can't write "Brokeback", what are the chances that he can write an opera?

http://www.charleswuorinen.com/brokeback.html

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2009, 06:49:20 am »

That's scary. If he can't write "Brokeback", what are the chances that he can write an opera?

http://www.charleswuorinen.com/brokeback.html

My eye was bugged by the words, but I kept assuming it was because it was all caps, and I just sort of avoided looking at it.

Isn't he all atonal and shit?  If notes are beside the point, maybe spelling is too.  

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00eG0lvdPg[/youtube]
(BTW, you aren't the John who posted this YouTube, are you?)   :o

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2009, 12:46:38 pm »

It continues with:

The movie came as a revelation, he said, after living in a city for most of his adult life. "That's what really struck me about 'Brokeback' -- it presented the possibility of being gay and living in rural America."

Tee-hee.  ;D

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2009, 01:14:27 pm »
Isn't he all atonal and shit?

"12-tone" or "serial" is more accurate. Such music is tonal to the extent that it uses the 12 standard tone relationships found in western music. Think: "notes that can be found on the piano." This is different from microtonalism, which divides the octave into more than 12 tones. I sang a musical/opera once by a composer named Harry Partch that divided the octave into 43 tones. Other composers of microtonal music come up with their own divisions of the octave. Compared to Partch's microtonalism, Wourinen's music sounds like "Mary Had a Little Lamb."

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2009, 02:34:17 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00eG0lvdPg[/youtube]
(BTW, you aren't the John who posted this YouTube, are you?)   :o

No, I didn't do that.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2009, 04:00:48 pm »
Greg Hinton asked us if it was ok to call us 'Brokies'

We said "you bet" !

Yay!!!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2009, 04:03:13 pm »
I own the domain name "Brokies.org".  ;D

Wow. That's awesome John!!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2009, 04:09:33 pm »
Tell you what really felt good was when Gregory Hinton welcomed the Brokies at the start of the discussion and we all stood up and everyone applauded.

Oh, double wow!!!

what an awesome event for y'all to be part of!!!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2009, 04:16:46 pm »
No, I didn't do that.

Oh god, am I relieved to hear that, John!!!

;D

Offline Sammi

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2009, 05:50:54 pm »
what an awesome event for y'all to be part of!!!

I agree - the whole thing is very cool John.  Nice!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2009, 07:20:33 pm »
Wilshire & Washington on Variety.com

The "Brokeback" Vote, Reconsidered

Much has changed in the years since "Brokeback Mountain," having won nearly all the major awards leading up to the Oscars in 2006, was rejected in favor of "Crash" for the ultimate best picture trophy.

Same-sex relationships have gained a greater acceptance, even if the idea of marriage has progressed in fits and starts.

One of the most prominent critics of the Academy that year, the Los Angeles Times Kenneth Turan, believes that the vote would have turned out differently today.

"I can still feel my anger," Turan said at a recent panel on the movie as part of Out West, a new series at the Autry National Center of the American West. "I really think that if the Academy could have a do over they would vote for 'Brokeback.' I think that their decision over time has come to seem less acceptable and less like the right thing."

----------------------------------------------------

"Brokeback" has lived on in the form of "Brokies" fan groups, who write their own stories of the characters and continue to watch the movie, over and over again. Its lines are still part of the cultural lexicon. And the fact that the Autry Museum is spotlighting "Brokeback," and the gay west in general, is considered something of an achievement.

The idea that Academy voters acted on their unspoken prejudices in 2006 is a much debated theory, and one that never can be proven. But it's hard to doubt something else that Turan wrote that night, a prediction that the movie would stand the test of time in ways that "Crash" would not: "Sometimes you win by losing."

http://www.wilshireandwashington.com/2009/12/the-brokeback-vote-reconsidered.html

Wilshire & Washington highlights the enduring relationship between entertainment and politics. More than a mere curiosity, the intersection of these worlds play out daily in fund raising, celebrity causes, show business lobbying and creative expression. Variety managing editor Ted Johnson provides the daily dose with contributions from reporters in L.A. and D.C.

Winner, Blog of the Year 2008, Southern California Journalism Awards.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2009, 07:21:19 pm »
Tom Gregory:  Brokeback Mountain Reclaims the American West

Children loved Gene Autry. In response to that admiration Gene wrote, "The Code of the Cowboy." Under the code he set up 10 rules all young bucks must follow. It's a code of peace and tolerance that his fans were instructed to embrace, even though the world was full of anger and hatred in the midst of WWII. Right in the middle is code number five:

A Cowboy must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant views and ideas.
Following Gene's fearless lead, on Sunday, The Autry hosted the first of four programs on the LGBT contributions to the America West. Sunday's event was aptly entitled "What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar." LA Times and NPR film critic Kenneth Turan was joined by sociologist Professor Peter Nardi, USC Associate Professor William Handley, and panel moderator, University of New Mexico history professor Virginia Scharoff.

The Museum's Wells Fargo Theater was full of western film fans, scholars, and people anxious for more of the story they can't get out of the soul. Like The Grapes of Wrath, The Searchers, or High Noon, BBM has grown a patina of scholarly importance over the last few years. BBM rocked the paradigm of the Hollywood love story, and became a personal catharsis, then a call to action for fairness and equality among LGBT people.

On Sunday, I witnessed The Autry making history in the trail-blazing style of America's boldest pioneers. For too long we've written off the America's most beautiful landscapes as real estate lost to the right. But all of America has been claimed for all Americans. By their trailblazing move, The Autry has branded The United States free to everyone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-gregory/embrokeback-mountainem-re_b_393662.html

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2009, 07:22:07 pm »

Gregory Hinton, Eric/sfericsf, Tom Gregory, John, Lyle, and Pete/ptannen.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2009, 07:23:00 pm »
William Handley reading from Beyond Brokeback

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2009, 07:23:19 pm »
Peter Nardi discussing a point.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2009, 07:23:36 pm »
Kenneth Turan reading his contribution to the discussion.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2009, 07:25:18 pm »

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2009, 07:25:41 pm »

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2009, 07:26:29 pm »
This is the video from NBC channel 4 that was shown over the weekend.

Gays, Lesbians Finally Get Their Due in a Western Museum

KNBC-TV

The Autry National Center, founded by Gene Autry, begins a series of events celebrating the LGBTQ contributions and involvement in Western life.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/station/as-seen-on/Gays__Lesbians_Finally_Get_Their_Due_in_a_Western_Museum_Los_Angeles.html

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2009, 07:26:54 pm »
Radio interview with Gregory Hinton _Dec 14, 2009 from IMRU

IMRU is a weekly one-hour radio show made by a group of volunteers focusing on issues affecting the LGBT community in Southern California. IMRU airs on KPFK 90.7 Los Angeles on Mondays from 7-8 PM. KPFK is a Pacifica Radio Station.

The segment about the Autry event starts at 37:57 into the radio show.

There are also clips from archived interviews with Diana Ossana and Heath Ledger.

http://archive.kpfk.org/parchive/mp3/kpfk_091214_190030imru.MP3

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2009, 07:27:30 pm »
L.A. Times article

'Out West' at the Autry examines the history of homosexuals and transgender people in the Old West

Say the words "gay cowboy" and chances are the conversation will turn to "Brokeback Mountain," the 2005 film starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, and based on the Annie Proulx short story.

The Oscar-winning drama, which is set in the 1960s to '80s, highlighted a long-submerged facet of frontier culture. But as a new series at the Autry National Center shows, the presence of homosexuals and transgender individuals in the American West is much older than the movie might lead you to think. It is, in fact, almost as old as the West itself.

Take for instance the tale of One-Eyed Charlie.

A stagecoach driver known for his hard drinking and itchy trigger finger, Charlie worked for the California Stage Co., where he earned his reputation as one of the best drivers in the wild West. He traveled between Oregon and California and, the story goes, got his nickname when he lost an eye while attempting to shoe a horse.

But Charlie kept a secret that was revealed only after his death in 1879. When his body was being prepared, a coroner discovered that One-Eyed Charlie was actually a woman.

It turns out that Charlie, nee Charlotte Darkey Parkhurst, had passed much of her adult life as a man. The discovery of her true gender became a local sensation. And her story still fascinates U.S. historians, some of whom believe that she was the first woman to have voted in a presidential election, long before the ratification of the 19th Amendment in 1920.

Stories like One-Eyed Charlie's will be part of the Autry series titled "Out West," looking at the roles of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people in frontier history.

"It doesn't just start with 'Brokeback Mountain.' In a way, the movie is an exclamation point to that history," said Stephen Aron, an executive director at the Autry.

more....

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2009, 07:28:12 pm »
In addition to his review of Brokeback Mountain, Kenneth Turan read his reaction to the Oscars, published in the L.A. Times, March 5, 2006

Breaking no ground
Why 'Crash' won, why 'Brokeback' lost and how the academy chose to play it safe.

Sometimes you win by losing, and nothing has proved what a powerful, taboo-breaking, necessary film "Brokeback Mountain" was more than its loss Sunday night to "Crash" in the Oscar best picture category.

Despite all the magazine covers it graced, despite all the red-state theaters it made good money in, despite (or maybe because of) all the jokes late-night talk show hosts made about it, you could not take the pulse of the industry without realizing that this film made a number of people distinctly uncomfortable.

More than any other of the nominated films, "Brokeback Mountain" was the one people told me they really didn't feel like seeing, didn't really get, didn't understand the fuss over. Did I really like it, they wanted to know. Yes, I really did.

Hollywood, of course, is under no obligation to be a progressive force in the world. It is in the business of entertainment, in the business of making the most dollars it can. Yes, on Oscar night, it likes to pat itself on the back for the good it does in the world, but as Sunday night's ceremony proved, it is easier to congratulate yourself for a job well done in the past than actually do that job in the present.

Full article here:

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/awards/oscars/env-turan5mar05,0,5359042.story

This got the biggest applause of the evening if I remember correctly.  :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2009, 02:59:03 pm »
This got the biggest applause of the evening if I remember correctly.  :D

Yes, it sure did!  Aside from the applause at the end.  ;)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2009, 03:18:54 pm »
We received this from Gregory Hinton today:
---------------------------------------------------------------

I loved your recap of Out West on the site.

Below is the list of the 41 media hits from the Autry publicist for Out West including LA TIMES, VARIETY, NPR and Conan O'Brien. I hope you are pleased with the results. I will be on NPR (KPCC) again this week on Air Talk with Larry Mantle.I tape on Tuesday. I will tell you when it airs. So happy we have met.   
---------------------------------------------------------------

41 media hits, plus two examples of the Autry’s Facebook page and their tweets. E-blasts were also sent by GLAAD and HRC who also posted it on their Facebook page.

Angeleno magazine editor Degen Pener has responded to our pitch for “Hidden Histories” for consideration in the May issue.

Sirius Satellite Radio Michelangelo Signorile’s national LGBT talk show, The Gist will feature an upcoming interview with Gregory Hinton. Date to be announced.

(NPR) KPCC “Air Talk” with Larry Mantle, Monday Dec. 21 with Gregory Hinton. (1:30 p.m. interview)

NBC Ch 4 Reporter Cary Berglund with Autry curator Jeffrey Richardson, Gregory Hinton and IGRA rep.

NPR – All Things Considered on KPCC FM –89.3 12/10 @5:40 p.m. Alex Cohen interviews Gregory Hinton in the Autry’s Imagination Gallery.

KPFK – IMRU LGBT show, 90.7 FM. Monday, December 14, 7 – 8 p.m. Steve Pride interviewed Gregory Hinton (last 20 minutes of the one-hour show- set at 39 minutes into show time.  http://archive.kpfk.org/parchive/

NBC Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien. 12/14/09. Seven minutes into the monologue Conan says, "A museum in Los Angeles is putting on an exhibition called Homosexuals in the old West. I can't believe it. They're calling it 'You don't need a horse to ride.'"  Audience laughs.

Variety, Ted Johnson’s Wilshire and Washington column, 12/18/09
http://www.wilshireandwashington.com/2009/12/the-brokeback-vote-reconsidered.html

Huffington Post:

Tom Gregory Brokeback Mountain Reclaims the American West

Los Angeles Times (David Ng’s article on the Culture Monster blog and in the Calendar section:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2009/12/autry-national-center-looks-beyond-brokeback-mountain.html

'Out West' at the Autry examines the history of homosexuals and ...
Los Angeles Times - CA,USA
If "Brokeback Mountain" helped to open the frontier's closet door, the Autry is taking the next step by rummaging through the closet's contents and sharing ...

News: Dominick Dunne, Elephants, Waterworld, James Duke Mason ...
By Andy Towle
The L.A. Times looks at the Autry museum's current exhibition about gays and transgender people in the American West: "So far, the Autry hasn't received any complaints about the series either from the public or internally, according to museum leaders. One trustee they wouldn't name voiced concern that the program might portray conservatives as bigots in the vein of the character played by Randy Quaid in 'Brokeback Mountain.'" Posted 2:49 PM EST by Andy Towle in Andrew ...
Towleroad News #gay - http://www.towleroad.com/

LA Museum revisits Brokeback :: EDGE Los Angeles

The Autry National Center, the first major American museum to recognize the ... he shirts from Brokeback Mountain are on display at the nearby Autry Museum. ...

"Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!
Dec 14, 2009 ... Re: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA! « Reply #60 on: December 11, ... The 'Out West' Series at the Autry National Center ...

Patricia Nell Warren’s piece in The Bilerico Project:

http://www.bilerico.com/2009/12/out_west_event_at_the_autry_its_my_history_too.php

According to Patricia Nell Warren, Now that Rex Wockner has found out about "Out West," EVERYBODY will hear about it.  He has probably the biggest, most diverse personal news-list in the LGBT world. Rex sent out the following email:

Sent: 12/15/2009 3:05:55 P.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: NC25647: So you like gay cowboys...?

L.A. Times
15 Dec 09

'Out West' at the Autry examines the history of homosexuals and transgender
people in the Old West

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-et-out-west15-2009dec15,0,2323794.story

http://www.examiner.com/x-25267-Anaheim-Cultural-Events-Examiner~y2009m12d16-LAs-Autry-Museum-begins-Gay-Cowboy-series

LA Daybook, Dec. 13, Sunday, 2009
FOX11AZ.com - Tucson,AZ,USA
... Convention Center, 1201 S. Figueroa St., Los Angeles 3 pm GAY COWBOYS — The Autry National Center hosts the event "What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar? ...

Get Out: LACMA's Art with the Artist, Sunset Hike, Inappropriate ...
LAist - Los Angeles,CA,USA
Out West Series: What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar? This free panel discussion program at the Autry focuses on the representation of the LGBT community in ...

http://glaadblog.org/2009/12/10/autry-national-center-holds-free-out-west-panel-sunday-december-13/

Autry National Center Holds Free “Out West” Panel Sunday, December ...
By glaadBLOG.org via PinkBananaWorld.com
The shirts are worn, with a slight red dust caked on the exposed areas that are not protected by the entwine, highlighting Out West's focus on the LGBT community's toil for safety and inclusion in the rural Western communities. The panel, titled after Ledger's ... Category: Entertainment, EntertainmentAutry National Center, Autry National CenterBrokeback Mountain, Brokeback MountainGregory Hinton, Gregory HintonHeath Ledger, Heath LedgerJake Gyllenhaal, Jake Gyllenhaal ...
PinkBananaWorld.com - http://www.pinkbananaworld.com/

The New Gay » The Autry Museum
By raphael
In the contemporary films display, alongside the hats and holsters from ¡The Three Amigos! and outfits from a number of Clint Eastwood's recent flicks are the two iconic shirts from Brokeback Mountain. Jake Gyllenhaal's and Heath ...
The New Gay - http://thenewgay.net/

"Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA! (group photo of the Brokies with Tom Gregory and Gregory Hinton at Out West 12 /13/09 scroll down blog) Dec 14, 2009 ... Re: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA! « Reply #60 on: December 11, ... The 'Out West' Series at the Autry National Center ...

Out West Event at The Autry: "It's My History Too" | The Bilerico ...
Meanwhile, Rolling Stone has cited Brokeback Mountain among the 10 Best Films of the ... My August 2009 article on the shirts' installation at the Autry ...

WeHoNews.com:
The shirts from Brokeback Mountain are on display at the nearby Autry Museum. ... At the installation of the iconic shirts, the Autry National Center's ...

The Gay Buzz - Robert Polzoni ran news of Out West on  his SF-based blog site: http://thegaybuzz.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-ever-happened-to-ennis-del-mar.html

Howie Klein’s, Down With Tyranny blog (friend of Norman Lear, straight, political blog).

DownWithTyranny!: What Ever Happened To Ennis Del Mar? The ...
By DownWithTyranny
Like a molten branding iron, the acclaimed Laramie Project and the groundbreaking Brokeback Mountain seared into the collective national consciousness the notion that it might not be so easy to be Gay in the West. ... Six months later, with Mrs. Gene Autry presiding, the Brokeback Shirts were installed in the contemporary westerns case in the gallery of imagination. At the same event, the Autry Library announced its intention to include the archives of the International ...
DownWithTyranny! - http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/

the tattler: Gene Autry Museum...Out West series to explore gay ...

By Julian Ayrs
Conceived by Gregory Hinton, consulting producer for the series, Out West was inspired not only by the Autry's recent installation of the iconic shirts worn by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in the film Brokeback Mountain but also by ...
the tattler - http://ijulian.blogspot.com/

Gene Autry Museum…OUT WEST series to explore gay cowboys ...
Dec 6, 2009 ... Panelists will also discuss Brokeback Mountain's impact as a ... At the installation of the iconic shirts, the Autry National Center 's ...

Twitter / Autry Nat'l Center: Come to "Out West: What Ev ...
Come to "Out West: What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" Sunday, December 13 from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Please join... http://bit.ly/68sNwz.

ASNCAlert : Message: Multi-media artist Sandra Horse's A New Earth ...
Autry as part of the Nadine Carson Forum. Her most recent book, Dorothea Lange: ... Out West Series: What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar? ...

News: Tel Aviv, Sonia Sotomayor, The Situation, Hubble's Deep ....
Whatever happened to Ennis Del Mar? The Autry National Center of the American West takes a look at LGBT representation in the American West at a panel ...

Los Angeles Events
Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar? Autry National Center, Sun., December 13, 3: 00pm ... Sun., December 13, 7:00pm-10:00pm, Venice/ Marina del Rey ...

http://laglc.convio.net/site/PageServer?pagename=OUT_on_the_Town

06 « December « 2009 « Julian Ayrs & Pop Culture
Gene Autry Museum…OUT WEST series to explore gay cowboys & Brokeback Mountain! ... “What Ever Happened to Ennis del mar?” (as seen through the eyes of the ...

http://californiastudiesblog.wordpress.com/2009/12/04/autry-launches-new-out-west-series-dec-13/

http://la10.cityspur.com/2009/11/24/out-west-series-what-ever-happened-to-ennis-del-mar/

http://www.bobbozebellart.com/blog/?p=267

http://www.americantowns.com/ca/losangeles/news/out-west-series-what-ever-happened-to-ennis-del-mar-236438

From the Brokies:

DaveCullen.com (Brokies)– initially ran press release, then captures ongoing blog with members, the Autry and Gregory Hinton http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=37309.msg1719385

Bettermost (Brokies) http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=37874.msg553149

Torchwood Forum - View topic - Brokeback Mountain

This week, the Autry National Center will explore the LGBT Community in the ... "What Ever Happened to Ennis del mar?" (as seen through the eyes of the film ...

Bermuda Rocks - From brendalana's Archives....
'Out West' at the Autry examines the history of homosexuals and transgender people in the ... /2009/08/brokeback-mountain-shirts-on-display-at-autry.html >. ...

'Out West' at the Autry examines the history of homosexuals and ...
The 'Out West' Series at the Autry National Center external link. source: 89.3 KPCC. Shirts worn by Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger in "Brokeback Mountain ...

Other bloggers picking up Tom Gregory’s Huff Po column:

Tom Gregory: Brokeback Mountain Reclaims the American West
By K.7
Yes, the shirts from Brokeback Mountain are proudly on display at the Autry --That's what a progressive, modern institution of learning (a museum) does. They propel conversation and incite questions while pushing society to learn, grow, ...
توب نت - http://www.tt5tt.com/vb/

Tom Gregory: Brokeback Mountain Reclaims the American West
By مراسل المعهد
Tom Gregory: Brokeback Mountain Reclaims the American West - اخبار المعهد العربي. In July, at the Museum of the American West, The Autry National Center (The Autry) installed the iconic intertwined shirts from Brokeback Mountain (BBM). ...
المعهد العربي - Random... - http://www.ma3hd.net/vb/

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2009, 05:10:14 pm »
That's quite a list.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2009, 04:53:22 am »
Wow.  So great.  Except the Conan one.

Offline Sammi

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2009, 09:56:37 am »
And they wonder why Conan's ratings are tanking.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2010, 09:39:30 pm »
Autry Center video from the 'Whatever Happened to Ennis Del Mar" event in December

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu8W0lKNJNQ[/youtube]

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2010, 04:33:17 pm »
Great, John!

Some lovely, familiar faces on the video! And some beautiful, familiar music too!!

Where y'all greeted as "the brokies", and asked to rise?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2010, 02:25:36 am »

Where y'all greeted as "the brokies", and asked to rise?

Yes!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2010, 05:00:58 pm »

Yes!

Wow.... must have been quite the experience!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2010, 12:47:07 am »
Wow.... must have been quite the experience!

Yes!  :D  :)