Author Topic: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!  (Read 50223 times)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
Re: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2009, 07:21:19 pm »
Tom Gregory:  Brokeback Mountain Reclaims the American West

Children loved Gene Autry. In response to that admiration Gene wrote, "The Code of the Cowboy." Under the code he set up 10 rules all young bucks must follow. It's a code of peace and tolerance that his fans were instructed to embrace, even though the world was full of anger and hatred in the midst of WWII. Right in the middle is code number five:

A Cowboy must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant views and ideas.
Following Gene's fearless lead, on Sunday, The Autry hosted the first of four programs on the LGBT contributions to the America West. Sunday's event was aptly entitled "What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar." LA Times and NPR film critic Kenneth Turan was joined by sociologist Professor Peter Nardi, USC Associate Professor William Handley, and panel moderator, University of New Mexico history professor Virginia Scharoff.

The Museum's Wells Fargo Theater was full of western film fans, scholars, and people anxious for more of the story they can't get out of the soul. Like The Grapes of Wrath, The Searchers, or High Noon, BBM has grown a patina of scholarly importance over the last few years. BBM rocked the paradigm of the Hollywood love story, and became a personal catharsis, then a call to action for fairness and equality among LGBT people.

On Sunday, I witnessed The Autry making history in the trail-blazing style of America's boldest pioneers. For too long we've written off the America's most beautiful landscapes as real estate lost to the right. But all of America has been claimed for all Americans. By their trailblazing move, The Autry has branded The United States free to everyone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-gregory/embrokeback-mountainem-re_b_393662.html

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2009, 07:22:07 pm »

Gregory Hinton, Eric/sfericsf, Tom Gregory, John, Lyle, and Pete/ptannen.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2009, 07:23:00 pm »
William Handley reading from Beyond Brokeback

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2009, 07:23:19 pm »
Peter Nardi discussing a point.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2009, 07:23:36 pm »
Kenneth Turan reading his contribution to the discussion.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2009, 07:25:18 pm »

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2009, 07:25:41 pm »

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2009, 07:26:29 pm »
This is the video from NBC channel 4 that was shown over the weekend.

Gays, Lesbians Finally Get Their Due in a Western Museum

KNBC-TV

The Autry National Center, founded by Gene Autry, begins a series of events celebrating the LGBTQ contributions and involvement in Western life.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/station/as-seen-on/Gays__Lesbians_Finally_Get_Their_Due_in_a_Western_Museum_Los_Angeles.html

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2009, 07:26:54 pm »
Radio interview with Gregory Hinton _Dec 14, 2009 from IMRU

IMRU is a weekly one-hour radio show made by a group of volunteers focusing on issues affecting the LGBT community in Southern California. IMRU airs on KPFK 90.7 Los Angeles on Mondays from 7-8 PM. KPFK is a Pacifica Radio Station.

The segment about the Autry event starts at 37:57 into the radio show.

There are also clips from archived interviews with Diana Ossana and Heath Ledger.

http://archive.kpfk.org/parchive/mp3/kpfk_091214_190030imru.MP3

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2009, 07:27:30 pm »
L.A. Times article

'Out West' at the Autry examines the history of homosexuals and transgender people in the Old West
Museum officials say the series may be the first of its kind.

Say the words "gay cowboy" and chances are the conversation will turn to "Brokeback Mountain," the 2005 film starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, and based on the Annie Proulx short story.

The Oscar-winning drama, which is set in the 1960s to '80s, highlighted a long-submerged facet of frontier culture. But as a new series at the Autry National Center shows, the presence of homosexuals and transgender individuals in the American West is much older than the movie might lead you to think. It is, in fact, almost as old as the West itself.

Take for instance the tale of One-Eyed Charlie.

A stagecoach driver known for his hard drinking and itchy trigger finger, Charlie worked for the California Stage Co., where he earned his reputation as one of the best drivers in the wild West. He traveled between Oregon and California and, the story goes, got his nickname when he lost an eye while attempting to shoe a horse.

But Charlie kept a secret that was revealed only after his death in 1879. When his body was being prepared, a coroner discovered that One-Eyed Charlie was actually a woman.

It turns out that Charlie, nee Charlotte Darkey Parkhurst, had passed much of her adult life as a man. The discovery of her true gender became a local sensation. And her story still fascinates U.S. historians, some of whom believe that she was the first woman to have voted in a presidential election, long before the ratification of the 19th Amendment in 1920.

Stories like One-Eyed Charlie's will be part of the Autry series titled "Out West," looking at the roles of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people in frontier history.

"It doesn't just start with 'Brokeback Mountain.' In a way, the movie is an exclamation point to that history," said Stephen Aron, an executive director at the Autry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Organizers are planning to return to "Brokeback Mountain" with a performance of fiction and other literature written by "Brokies" -- an informal group of fans who strongly identify with the film.

more....

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-et-out-west15-2009dec15,0,6149105,full.story