Author Topic: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!  (Read 50224 times)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 01:29:03 am »
I just got the detailed information on this event from the Autry Museum!   :)

http://www.autrynationalcenter.org/images/outwest.jpg

I will try to be there.  If anyone else is coming from the San Francisco Bay Area, Southwest
flights are $49 each way - and there could also the possibility of a Brokie train trip!!   :)

Pete

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: [email protected]
Sent: 11/23/2009 3:51:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: Autry Explores LGBT Community with New "Out West" Series

Autry National Center

4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, CA 90027

323.667.2000, www.autrynationalcenter.org

Attached image: Brokeback Mountain shirts. Collection of Tom Gregory. Photo by Susannah Leam.

Please see attached invite jpg.

Autry National Center Explores LGBT Community in the American West

With Inaugural Out West Series

“What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar?”

December 13, 3:00–5:00 p.m., Free

Seen Through the Lens of Brokeback Mountain,

First Program in Out West Series Includes Film Critic Kenneth Turan

Major Support Provided by HBO

Los Angeles (November 23, 2009) — The Autry National Center, the first major American museum to recognize the contributions of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community to the American West, is proud to announce the creation of the Out West series.  This series of programs, scheduled to take place over the next twelve months, will feature Western scholars, authors, artists, politicians, musicians, and friends of Western LGBTs in discussions and gallery talks at the Autry.  Programs currently being considered examine LGBT Native Americans, LGBT rodeo culture, LGBT political strides including the struggle for marriage equality, and LGBT contributions to the Western arts.

“What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar?” is the first program in the Out West series. When Gene Autry issued his ten-point “Cowboy Code” in the 1940s, he could not have anticipated the story of Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist, but the messages of tolerance, fairness, and integrity the Code promotes speak to the acceptance for which the Brokeback Mountain characters longed. Their story is the departure point for this first discussion.  Scheduled for December 13 in the Wells Fargo theater, the panel will be moderated by Virginia Scharff, author and professor of history/director of the Center for the Southwest at the University of New Mexico. The program focuses on the representation of homosexuality in the West before, during, and after the era depicted in the movie, and explores the Academy Award–winning film’s significance in renewing the Western film for contemporary audiences.

Panelists will also discuss Brokeback Mountain’s impact as a pop-cultural milestone pointing to larger societal conflicts, such as the “red state/blue state” schism that mirrors rural and urban demographics—a divide that often compels LGBT Westerners to reluctantly abandon rural homes in search of more inclusive enclaves in larger urban areas. The panel includes Los Angeles Times and NPR film critic Kenneth Turan; Peter M. Nardi, Ph.D., author and professor of sociology at Pitzer College; and William Handley, associate professor of English at the University of Southern California and editor of The Brokeback Book (forthcoming).

“We are proud to be a sponsor of Out West,” said Michael Lombardo, President, Programming and West Coast Operations, HBO, “The Autry National Center is to be commended for shining a spotlight on the contributions of the LGBT community to the history and culture of the American West. As a major Western cultural institution, they have taken the lead in engaging contemporary LGBT issues in an unprecedented forum. We wish them continued success with their extraordinary programming mission.”  

Conceived by Gregory Hinton, consulting producer for the series, Out West was inspired not only by the Autry’s recent installation of the iconic shirts worn by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in the film Brokeback Mountain but also by the permanent inclusion of the International Gay Rodeo Association's (IGRA) archives into the Autry Library (both facilitated by Hinton). Mrs. Gene Autry presided over a launch event in August 2009 celebrating the loan of the shirts from collector Tom Gregory, who won them at a charity auction and shared Hinton’s vision for using them toward a greater good. At the installation of the iconic shirts, the Autry National Center’s President and CEO John Gray said, “The American West is a place for all of us, and all of us have a place in the West.”

“For me,” said Gregory Hinton, who was born in Montana and raised in Wyoming, “the Out West series at the Autry National Center, and all of the experts and participants involved, underscores the need for gay men and women who leave their rural communities to reclaim their country heritage. They may find safety and companionship in cities, but they leave behind a spirit and a connection to the land that cannot be replaced. For those of us who come from the West, it’s in our blood and never lets us go.”

The Out West series at the Autry National Center is made possible through the generous support of Tom Gregory, HBO, the Gill Foundation, and the Small Change Foundation, in association with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), and the Courage Campaign.

About the Panel Moderator:

Virginia Scharff is professor of history and director of the Center for the Southwest at the University of New Mexico. Her scholarly works include Taking the Wheel: Women and the Coming of the Motor Age (1991); Twenty Thousand Roads: Women, Movement, and the West (2003); Present Tense: The United States Since 1945 (1996); Coming of Age: America in the Twentieth Century (1998); and the edited volume, Seeing Nature Through Gender (2003). She is the Women of the West Chair at the Autry National Center in Los Angeles, and a Fellow of the Society of American Historians, and was the Beinecke Senior Research Fellow in the Lamar Center for Frontiers and Borders at Yale University (2008-9). Scharff’s work-in-progress, The Women Jefferson Loved, will be published by HarperCollins in 2010. She is also the author of four mystery suspense novels, written under the name of VIRGINIA SWIFT: Brown-Eyed Girl (2000), Bad Company (2002), Bye, Bye, Love (2004), and Hello, Stranger (2006).

About the Panelists:

William Handley is an associate professor of English at the University of Southern California who teaches and writes on the literature and culture of the American West. He is the author of Marriage, Violence, and the Nation in the American Literary West, coeditor of an essay collection on Western authenticity, and the editor of The Brokeback Book, to be published around the fifth anniversary of Brokeback Mountain by University of Nebraska Press. He has also written on 19th-century anti-polygamy rhetoric and the contemporary rhetoric against gay marriage.

Peter M. Nardi, Ph.D. is professor of sociology at Pitzer College, a member of the Claremont Colleges. He is the author of Gay Men’s Friendships: Invincible Communities (Chicago, 1999); editor of Men’s Friendships (Sage, 1992) and Gay Masculinities (Sage, 2000); coeditor of Social Perspectives in Lesbian & Gay Studies: A Reader (Routledge, 1998); Growing Up Before Stonewall: Lifestories of Some Gay Men (Routledge, 1994); and In Changing Times: Gay Men & Lesbians Encounter HIV/AIDS (Chicago, 1997). He also wrote two textbooks in survey research methods and formerly served as co-president of GLAAD/LA, chair of the Lesbian & Gay Caucus of the American Sociological Association, and president of the Pacific Sociological Association.

Kenneth Turan is the film critic for the Los Angeles Times and NPR's Morning Edition, as well as the director of the Los Angeles Times Book Prizes. He has been a staff writer for the Washington Post and TV Guide, and served as the Times' book review editor. A graduate of Swarthmore College and Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism, he is the coauthor of Call Me Anna: The Autobiography of Patty Duke. He teaches film reviewing and nonfiction writing at USC and is on the board of directors of the National Yiddish Book Center. His most recent books are Doubleday’s Free For All: Joe Papp, the Public and the Greatest Theater Story Ever Told: the University of California Press’s Sundance to Sarajevo: Film Festivals and the World They Made; and Never Coming to a Theater Near You, published by Public Affairs Press.

About Gregory Hinton, Consulting Producer, Out West

The son of a country newspaper editor, Gregory Hinton was born in Wolf Point, Montana, on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. Raised in Cody, Wyoming, Hinton graduated from the University of Colorado at Boulder, which he attended on a creative writing scholarship. He is the author of four critically acclaimed novels, including Cathedral City (2001), Desperate Hearts (2002), The Way Things Ought to Be (2003), and Santa Monica Canyon (2007). All of his books are endorsed by the American Library Association’s Booklist, among other national reviews. Hinton is also an independent filmmaker whose credits include It’s My Party (1996), which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, and Circuit (2003), which received international theatrical distribution. For his fifth novel, Night Rodeo, Gregory Hinton participated in a 2009 Spring Residency at the prestigious Ucross Foundation in Wyoming.

About the Autry National Center

The Autry National Center is an intercultural history center dedicated to exploring the experiences and perceptions of the diverse peoples of the American West. The Autry celebrates the cultures of the American West through three institutions on two Los Angeles campuses: the Southwest Museum of the American Indian in Mt. Washington; the Museum of the American West in Griffith Park; and the Institute for the Study for the American West, which comprises the Braun Research Library and the Autry Library and is headquartered in Griffith Park.

The hours of operation for Autry National Center’s museum at its Griffith Park location are Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Autry Store’s weekday hours are Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and the Golden Spur Cafe is open Tuesday through Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday hours for the museum and the Autry Store are 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The museum, the Autry Store, and the cafe are closed on Mondays.

Museum admission is $9 for adults, $5 for students and seniors 60+, $3 for children 3–12, and free for Autry members, veterans, and children 2 and under. Admission is free on the second Tuesday of every month.

###

For press inquiries only, contact:

Yadhira De Leon

Sr. Manager, Public Relations

Autry National Center

323.667.2000, ext. 327

[email protected]

www.autrynationalcenter.org

Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 03:08:24 pm »
THis is very tempting! I'll get out my calendar...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 05:40:20 pm »

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 06:46:34 pm »
Ok. That´s it. I´m gonna have to invent some kind of space portal....but don´t worry. I have almost three weeks to get it done.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 03:09:01 am »
Yep Yep.  I'm thinkin' train ride down on the Coast Starlight on Saturday, museum and panel discussion on Sunday, and then flyin' back Monday mornin'...   :)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 02:35:43 pm »
What can I do to tempt you enough into comming to LA?   :)

THis is very tempting! I'll get out my calendar...
Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 03:22:24 am »
We received a special invitation from Gregory Hinton today.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm attaching an announcement/invitation to our first panel series at the Autry National Center in Los Angeles, Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?  HBO is sponsoring, as is the Gill Foundation among others.

A year ago, without knowing any of the players, I approached the International Gay Rodeo Association and the owner of the Brokeback Shirts to ask if I could offer them for display to the Autry Museum. The Autry agreed, and six months later, both are installed and in place.

The first Out West panel is December 13th. We expect to be sold out, but I would like to hold a block of seats for members of the forum who live in the area, or might be travelling here.

I was born in Montana, a kid in Wyoming and grew up in Denver. I came out in Boulder 35 years ago.

Best,

Gregory Hinton

Consulting Producer, Out West

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 03:24:13 am »
I have contacted Mr. Hinton to thank him and to let him know that YES we would love a block of seats.

So let's try to get a good head count so I can let him know how many seats we need.

I think it's going to be a full house.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 12:45:33 pm »
Message from Gregory Hinton today:

Please let the members of the Forum know that what the Autry is doing with Out West is unprecedented. Western museums are traditionally very conservative. My personal goal is to go where no gay man has gone. When 25 members of the Gay Rodeo showed up at the installation of the Brokeback Shirts, it was very moving and powerful

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 01:24:29 pm »
What a great message!! I'm looking hard at my calendar and poking around in my thin dusty wallet. Where are y'all staying??
"chewing gum and duct tape"