Author Topic: Liza Minnelli at the Sydney Opera House  (Read 10715 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Liza Minnelli at the Sydney Opera House
« on: October 18, 2009, 02:30:49 am »

Review by Claire Harvey
in the Sunday Telegraph
Sunday 18 October 2009

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sunday-telegraph/liza-minnelli-tour-blasts-off-at-the-opera-house/story-e6frewt9-1225787835378

Friday 16 October 2009

There are not many women in the world who could stride onto the Sydney Opera House stage wearing a white lame pantsuit, sing a song about the spelling of her own name and blast a crowd of squealing, screaming, adult men into the stratosphere.

Actually, there's only one woman who could do it.

It's Liza - with a Z - Minnelli and she has crowned herself queen of all the queens over two nights of sold-out shows, in which the crowd's enthusiasm was matched only by her own energy.

"I love you, Liza!'' bellowed a baritone voice from the crowd early in Friday night's show, just one of many manly swoons from hordes of fashionable young gay men, many wearing bow-ties or sparkly shoes, with a few middle-aged straight couples thrown in.

And Liza returned the love, with a series of  show tunes, Vegas standards and her own greatest hits - including Liza With A Z and Cabaret, the theme from her 1972 film - delivered with all the sauciness of the original.

Nowadays, Minnelli shimmies in her chair, rather than doing the splits on top of it, and her diction is sometimes a little garbled, but she still delivers a compelling exhortation to embrace the world - life is a cabaret, old chum.

"Thank you, my friends, my family - wow!'' she said, during one of many ovations.

"Wow, the Sydney Opera House! I can't believe it. If any of you ever saw me before, you'll remember I used to sit down in the second act. Now I sit down in the first act,'' she said, dragging her chair to centre stage.

That was the extent of Liza's Sydney-specific banter - the show is a continuation of her Tony Award-winning run at New York's Palace Theatre and, at 63, Minnelli isn't up for major change.

The show's 14 numbers included a smoky version of Every Time We Say Goodbye, a showstopping New York, New York and a breathy My Own Best Friend from the musical Chicago.

There's a reason Minnelli is such a gay icon: her empathy for the political struggles of homosexual people rings through in songs like What Makes A Man A Man, by Charles Aznavour, underlaid by a smooth clarinet from her fault-free orchestra of 12.

For her encore, Minnelli returned in baggy T-shirt, slippers and a towel, scrubbed her face of make-up and delivered All The Lives Of Me, a song by her ex-husband Peter Allen.

"Thank you, Peter,'' she said, and slithered off in her slippers, a hoofer to the last.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Liza Minnelli at the Sydney Opera House
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:57:50 am »
I saw Liza with a Z quite a few years ago in New York.  I just was looking on Wikipedia to figure out when that might have been.  I'm pretty sure it was after Cabaret (1972) came out, because I think that's where I first saw/heard of her.  So let's say mid-1970s.

Wiwkipedia says that her godparents were Ira Gershwin (!) and Kay Thompson (who wrote the Eloise books).  No wonder she can be so witty.

And I loved her stint on Arrested Development.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 01:56:15 pm »
Thanks for the post, Kerry!  It's great to see her looking so good.   :)  Her encore sounds really touching. 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:08:12 pm »
It figures.......I miss all the gay Aussies by a few days.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:23:15 pm »

Review by Claire Harvey
in the Sunday Telegraph
Sunday 18 October 2009

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sunday-telegraph/liza-minnelli-tour-blasts-off-at-the-opera-house/story-e6frewt9-1225787835378

Friday 16 October 2009

There are not many women in the world who could stride onto the Sydney Opera House stage wearing a white lame pantsuit, sing a song about the spelling of her own name and blast a crowd of squealing, screaming, adult men into the stratosphere.

Actually, there's only one woman who could do it.

It's Liza - with a Z - Minnelli and she has crowned herself queen of all the queens over two nights of sold-out shows, in which the crowd's enthusiasm was matched only by her own energy.

"I love you, Liza!'' bellowed a baritone voice from the crowd early in Friday night's show, just one of many manly swoons from hordes of fashionable young gay men, many wearing bow-ties or sparkly shoes, with a few middle-aged straight couples thrown in.

And Liza returned the love, with a series of  show tunes, Vegas standards and her own greatest hits - including Liza With A Z and Cabaret, the theme from her 1972 film - delivered with all the sauciness of the original.

Nowadays, Minnelli shimmies in her chair, rather than doing the splits on top of it, and her diction is sometimes a little garbled, but she still delivers a compelling exhortation to embrace the world - life is a cabaret, old chum.

"Thank you, my friends, my family - wow!'' she said, during one of many ovations.

"Wow, the Sydney Opera House! I can't believe it. If any of you ever saw me before, you'll remember I used to sit down in the second act. Now I sit down in the first act,'' she said, dragging her chair to centre stage.

That was the extent of Liza's Sydney-specific banter - the show is a continuation of her Tony Award-winning run at New York's Palace Theatre and, at 63, Minnelli isn't up for major change.

The show's 14 numbers included a smoky version of Every Time We Say Goodbye, a showstopping New York, New York and a breathy My Own Best Friend from the musical Chicago.

There's a reason Minnelli is such a gay icon: her empathy for the political struggles of homosexual people rings through in songs like What Makes A Man A Man, by Charles Aznavour, underlaid by a smooth clarinet from her fault-free orchestra of 12.

For her encore, Minnelli returned in baggy T-shirt, slippers and a towel, scrubbed her face of make-up and delivered All The Lives Of Me, a song by her ex-husband Peter Allen.

"Thank you, Peter,'' she said, and slithered off in her slippers, a hoofer to the last.

I hope all our Bettermost Androphiles read this. ...  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 06:19:14 pm »
It figures.......I miss all the gay Aussies by a few days.

:laugh:

Oh, the gay Aussies were all there, Chuck. Just none of the "bow-ties and sparkly shoes" variety on the Manly Ferry with us.  ;)   :laugh:  Make your next visit to Sydney in late February and I'll take you to Mardi Gras, the largest gay nighttime parade on earth. People from all over the world attend. It's a revelation!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 06:20:50 pm »
I hope all our Bettermost Androphiles read this. ...  ;)

And they should perhaps see this clip too . . . . .

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 01:05:28 am »

That is really powerful, Kerry, thank you.  Very touching.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 01:23:27 am »
I had never heard this song til tonight.  Really wow.  Here it's sung by Charles Aznavour, who wrote it 40 years ago.

In English:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okXt33o40MQ[/youtube]

And even better in its original French, with excellent English subtitles:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2i2kGMCZKo[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 01:47:08 am »
Liza Minnelli is da bomb! Back in the day I had a friend who did a nearly perfect imitation of Miss Liza. He looked almost exactly like her. In addition to stage, she is quite a talented actress too. I loved her in Arthur! lol

That was such a cute movie. 
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 02:22:56 am »

I had never heard this song til tonight.  Really wow.  Here it's sung by Charles Aznavour, who wrote it 40 years ago.

And even better in its original French, with excellent English subtitles:

Thanks so much for posting the original Charles Aznavour version, Clarissa. I've heard him sing it in French before, but never with English subtitles. I didn't realise how much more hard-hitting (brutal even) the original French lyrics are. It makes the usual English version sound almost mild-mannered.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 02:25:27 am »
Liza Minnelli is da bomb! Back in the day I had a friend who did a nearly perfect imitation of Miss Liza. He looked almost exactly like her. In addition to stage, she is quite a talented actress too. I loved her in Arthur! lol

That was such a cute movie. 

Liza Minnelli first came to my attention in Cabaret back in the '70s. That was such a brilliant movie and she was brilliant in it.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 02:38:53 am »
Liza Minnelli first came to my attention in Cabaret back in the '70s. That was such a brilliant movie and she was brilliant in it.  :D

I just lost my gay card, didn't I? :(

How could I forget about Caberet!

BAD DAVID!! >:(

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 03:37:47 am »
I just lost my gay card, didn't I? :(

How could I forget about Caberet!

I'm pretty sure that even forgetting Cabaret can't make you lose your gay card. 

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 03:38:45 am »
Thanks so much for posting the original Charles Aznavour version, Clarissa. I've heard him sing it in French before, but never with English subtitles. I didn't realise how much more hard-hitting (brutal even) the original French lyrics are. It makes the usual English version sound almost mild-mannered.

Agreed.  I was reading what I could find about the song, and about Charles Aznavour writing it, and everything I read says he's straight.  That's really something, if true.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 04:47:16 am »

I'm pretty sure that even forgetting Cabaret can't make you lose your gay card. 

Well, maybe not. But we'll wait and see what the gay mafia has to say about it. :laugh:

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 08:31:53 am »
Well, maybe not. But we'll wait and see what the gay mafia has to say about it. :laugh:

The official verdict of the Australian Chapter of the Gay Mafia is . . . .

:-*  {{{ DAVID }}}   :-*
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 10:31:34 am »
I have always been a fan of Liza Minelli and was so pleased to read the reviews from her shows in Sydney.

She is such a professional and can belt out a song better than most.

I just sat in awe, watching and listening to the clip of her singing "What Makes a Man a Man". I had never heard the song before and was quite overwhelmed by it and the emotion she undoubtedly feels as she sings it.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 10:12:41 pm »
I just sat in awe, watching and listening to the clip of her singing "What Makes a Man a Man". I had never heard the song before and was quite overwhelmed by it and the emotion she undoubtedly feels as she sings it.

I felt the same way. Thank you, Kerry, for sharing that with us!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 01:27:33 am »
I felt the same way. Thank you, Kerry, for sharing that with us!
You're welcome, Lee. Glad you liked it.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 06:49:29 am »
wow.. VG!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 07:03:24 am »

"No one, no one has the right to be the judge of what is right for me"

spot on.
I had actually never seen Liza perform anything live before. She´s masterful at interpreting the lyrics.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2009, 01:09:50 am »
"No one, no one has the right to be the judge of what is right for me"

That sentence certainly says it all....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection