Author Topic: Table for Six  (Read 18023 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Table for Six
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:32:28 am »
Table for Six

Imagine you could hold a dinner party and invite any FIVE people of your choice, living or dead. Including yourself, it would be a “Table for Six.”

Which five people would you invite?

Tell us why you would invite them and what questions you would like to ask them?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
Re: Table for Six
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 01:36:31 am »
I’ll start the ball rolling with my five dinner quests:

# 1 – Alexander the Great
Probably one of the most amazingly dazzling individuals to ever walk the earth. And gorgeously handsome with it! I’d like to ask him so many questions. What was it like to be conqueror of the known world at such a young age? I would like to console him on the tragic, early death of his lover, Hephaestion, and ask him many questions about the love he and Hephaestion shared. Did he feel love for Bagoas or was it just sex? I’d be curious to know the secret behind the subtle sweet scent that he was said to exude. It was said to be a “gift of nature” in a time when personal hygiene was not widely known, but did he actually use the ancient equivalent of Givenchy or Chanel? Why did he burn Persepolis?  Where are his mortal remains? So many, many more questions for you, Alexander!

# 2 – Andrew George Scott alias Captain Moonlite
Andrew Scott was a truly enigmatic product of the Victorian age in an antipodean setting. Highly educated, articulate and erudite, I would like to ask him why he chose a life of crime. Why did he leave Ireland and come to Australia? Did he shoot Constable Bowen? If he didn’t shoot him, does he know who did? What were the circumstances behind his meeting with James Nesbitt in Pentridge Prison and the love they both subsequently shared? What went through his mind when James Nesbitt died in his arms? He wore a plaited lock of James’ hair on his finger when he went to the gallows – was James’ name the last word he uttered when the trap-door opened?

# 3 Caravaggio
My all time favourite artist and bad boy! Such an amazing talent, albeit an ultimately self-destructive one. I’d like to ask about his love for Mario. Was the murder in Rome an accident? What really happened on Malta? What were the circumstances behind his death? What really happened on that beach north of Rome? Was he murdered?  If he died of natural causes, what were they? Where is his body located?

# 4 Peter Tchaikovsky
Rather than sit at the dinner table, I would ask Peter Tchaikovsky to play his exquisite melodies for us on the piano during dinner, while I provide him with morsels of food as he does so. I would like to hear him play so many of his timeless melodies from Swan Lake, Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, Francesca da Rimini, Symphonies 5 & 6, just to name a few of my personal favourites. Is there one of his melodies that he is most fond of? What was it like to be gay in Tsarist Russia? Why did he marry? Was Vladimir the love of his life? Did he deliberately drink the cholera infested water, thus resulting in his suicide, or was it an accident? If suicide, was he bullied into taking his own life? If so, by whom?

# 5 Marcel Proust
I would ask Marcel Proust to tell me his childhood memories. What is his favourite cake?  ;)  His relationship with his mother and father, especially his mother. Of all his many relationships, does one stand out as a love-match? His views on etiquette. His favourite characters in “A la recherche du temps perdu.” Looking back with the benefit of hindsight, would he have been more succinct and concise in his writing style? What did he make of his fame?   What’s with the cork-lined bedroom? Would he describe himself as agoraphobic? The maid? Was he at peace and prepared to die when he did or would he have preferred to live longer? After dinner, over port, I would ask Marcel to read from “A la recherche du temps perdu” in the original French (I will be able to miraculously understand French, just for the duration of the dinner party), while Peter continues to play on the piano.

What a night! How fabo!  Can’t wait!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 02:31:25 am »
#1. Jesus Christ

I'd want to hear from Him what His and His Father's views on homosexuality really are, and how many other ways the bible was twisted to serve the wrong purposes.

#2.  Martin Luther King Jr.

I'd want to thank him for his bravery, and his work on civil rights, and what direction we should go in now.

#3.  Harvey Milk

To thank him for his work for the gay community, and what direction we should go in now.   (Yeah, I know.....same as above....don't reject knowledge)

#4.   Barrack Obama

To congratulate him on his win, remind him of certain promises, and to let him hear from Milk & King.

#5.   Madonna

To thank her for all the help her music gave me all the years, and to see if she's as much as a bitch as she presents herself.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 06:52:28 pm »

#5.   Madonna

To thank her for all the help her music gave me all the years, and to see if she's as much as a bitch as she presents herself.

Great choices, Chuck. I don't know a lot about Madonna so was curious to read the above. It made me wonder if perhaps some of her songs are directed specifically at gay people. If so, can you post a YouTube clip that will win me over as a fan? I'm open to conversion!  :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:08:13 pm »
OMG, Gary, that Little Richard clip is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I LOVE it!  :D

Chuck and Gary, could I ask you both to not hold your dinner parties on the same night as mine? I'd like to be able to attend your dinner parties too. Could you find a spare chair for me? If not, I'd be happy to sit in the corner and listen to the conversation.  :)

(P.S., I don't at all believe that Socrates corrupted the morals of the youth of Athens, but he sure as hell did open their minds.)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 02:50:38 am »
hm...hard one but here goes. I don't have that many questions though, I think I'd just let the conversation flow in whatever direction.

# 1

Annie Proulx.
I would love to know a little more about how her mind works. I find her utterly fascinating.

# 2

Oscar Wilde
A man who fought with words instead of weapons and whose wit and intelligence I greatly admire. For me, he´s  the perfect dinner party guest.
Hopefully he and Annie will get into a conversation about writing.

# 3

Ennis del Mar
I'm nor sure he would have much to add to the discussion, but the temptation to see him next to Wilde is just too big

# 4

Gertrude Stein
Oh the stories she could tell....

(on the left)

# 5

Nina Simone
Another person I´ve always found fascinating. Strong-willed, intelligent and unique. And always so damn vibrant and alive.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
&hl=sv&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&hl=sv&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

And as a stand-in (in case someone has to cancel) I'd pick the former The Smiths singer Morrissey. I don't think there's even a slight possibility that the conservation will ever turn dull with him around
&hl=sv&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&hl=sv&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

and for some music. One of my favorite bands

that was fun. Great idea for a topic, Kerry

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 03:05:01 am »
hm...hard one but here goes. I don't have that many questions though, I think I'd just let the conversation flow in whatever direction.

# 3

Ennis del Mar
I'm nor sure he would have much to add to the discussion, but the temptation to see him next to Wilde is just too big

Just give him a bottle of "Old Rose" and he'll probably sing like a canary! ;)

Kerry, I just saw this.... give me a quick minute... well maybe a day, and I'll add my contributions. Lots and lots to think about here!

Nice thread btw, sweetie! :-*

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 06:39:37 am »
I decided to limit it to living North American women, plus one.  :)

Ina May Gaskin

Mother of modern midwifery

Sandra Dodd

Homeschooling advocate

Barbara Kingsolver

Writer of splendor

Medea Benjamin

Courageous founder of Code Pink

Joni Mitchell

Songwriter and musician extraordinaire

Judy Chicago

Artist of birth, vulvas, and the holocaust

And Stephen Fry

Wittiest human on Earth

:-*

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 02:25:06 pm »
Very interesting choices, Ellemeno!!!

Way back when, in my hippie youth, I read a book called (I think) The Farm. Or something like that.

I seem to remember that Ina May Gaskin was one of the founders, and very active in developing home births.

Never heard of Judy Chicago, but it would be interesting to know a little more about her.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:06:21 pm »

And Stephen Fry

Wittiest human on Earth

:-*[/center]

Oh, I´m a big fan too. He´s briliant.