Author Topic: Table for Six  (Read 17894 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Table for Six
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 04:56:31 am »

Loved the clip of Nina Simone singing "I Got Life". That took me waaaaaaay back to the 60s, when I first heard that song sung on the stage here in Sydney -  in "Hair".

Great thread Kerry, I havent worked out my dinner guest list yet, but saw this and just wanted to comment that my husband and I also saw Hair at the Metro Theatre in Kings Cross, Sydney, in July 1970......and I still love the music.
I always remember the time, because exactly 9months later our first son was born.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 08:14:05 am »
Great thread Kerry, I havent worked out my dinner guest list yet, but saw this and just wanted to comment that my husband and I also saw Hair at the Metro Theatre in Kings Cross, Sydney, in July 1970......and I still love the music.
I always remember the time, because exactly 9months later our first son was born.

Yep, that's where I saw "Hair" too, Sue - at the Metro Theatre in Orwell Street (more like a lane really) at Kings Cross. I saw it several times there in the late 60s. It had a long run in Sydney. It was very popular here. I'm not surprised to hear that you fell pregnant after seeing it! It was that kinda show! I too loved the music, Clarissa. I  wish you'd've (Thanks, Holden!) seen it on stage, because I'm sure you would never forget the way the first song "Aquarius" opens the show at the very beginning. The rhythmic, iconic, triple drum beat (dum-dah-dum, dum-dah-dum, dum-dah-dum) of Aquarius started really softly in the distance and took a long time building up until it was practically orgasmic, and then the most amazingly powerful solo female voice came in with those unforgettable lyrics, "When the Moon is in the Seventh House and Jupiter aligns with Mars . . ." and the cast started entering the stage, singing as they came, from the rear of the theatre, walking through the audience - walking past me - as they did so. It was very exciting for a bespectacled, closeted teenage kid from the 'burbs way back then, not least of all because there was an openly gay member of the Tribe. What was his name? Was it Wuff or Woof? Something like that. He sang a very naughty song, the lyrics of which I can still recall verbatim! Ah, they were the days!  ;)   :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2009, 09:32:02 am »
Ah yes Kerry, your memories rekindled mine about the opening of the show.

Actually, we had a unique experience that night. We had been driving thru the Cross with nothing on our mind to do, when we saw the theatre and decided on the spur of the moment to go and see the show. It was nearly starting time, and Bob dropped me off at the ticket office while he went to park the car. Just as I approached the office to buy my tickets, two American marines who were in Sydney on R&R leave from Vietnam, came up to me and asked me if I was about to buy tickets for the show. I said "yes" and they handed me two tickets. Apparently they had bought four tickets, expecting someone to meet them there, who didn't turn up, and now being so close to starting time, they knew they had been stood up, and so gave me the tickets. We sat next to them in the theatre, and had plans to take them for a drink after the show to thank them, but they did not return after interval.

It probably wasn't exactly the best show for those guys to be watching, when they were actually over there fighting the dam war.

Sorry for going off topic, just taking a trip down memory lane.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2009, 09:40:20 am »
Ah yes Kerry, your memories rekindled mine about the opening of the show.

Actually, we had a unique experience that night. We had been driving thru the Cross with nothing on our mind to do, when we saw the theatre and decided on the spur of the moment to go and see the show. It was nearly starting time, and Bob dropped me off at the ticket office while he went to park the car. Just as I approached the office to buy my tickets, two American marines who were in Sydney on R&R leave from Vietnam, came up to me and asked me if I was about to buy tickets for the show. I said "yes" and they handed me two tickets. Apparently they had bought four tickets, expecting someone to meet them there, who didn't turn up, and now being so close to starting time, they knew they had been stood up, and so gave me the tickets. We sat next to them in the theatre, and had plans to take them for a drink after the show to thank them, but they did not return after interval.

It probably wasn't exactly the best show for those guys to be watching, when they were actually over there fighting the dam war.

Sorry for going off topic, just taking a trip down memory lane.

Go off topic all you like, Sue. It's like we're having a conversation over dinner here at this thread and that's what happens over dinner.

You've got some great memories there, Sue. Do you remember the old Metro Theatre? It was a bit seedy and run-down, but had great character.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 10:27:46 am »
Go off topic all you like, Sue. It's like we're having a conversation over dinner here at this thread and that's what happens over dinner.

You've got some great memories there, Sue. Do you remember the old Metro Theatre? It was a bit seedy and run-down, but had great character.  :D

Thanks Kerry......

Only time I ever went to the Metro was that one time to see Hair.

Actually, back in 1968 me and hubby (who was then fiance) spent a bit of time at the Cross. Bob was in the navy, so I would often go in there to meet him when he was docked at Garden Island. We woud often sit in The Village near the Wax museum, as there was also a TAB there and we used to listen to the races and have a few bets. Back then I never thought twice about walking thru the Cross even though I was only 17. It was not as seedy then as it is now, or maybe in my innocence I didn't notice what was going on.

Another great show we saw was Jesus Christ Superstar...cant remember where it was on at. Reg Livermore was in the show and also John English played Judas. Did you see that one too?

I worked in the Imperial Arcade between Pitt and Castlereagh Street. The PMG department had three floors of offices there, and we did telephone accounts. We used to get huge big meter books, with the previous meter reading and the current reading, and we subtracted one from the other to get the number of calls made. Calls then were 3 for 10cents. Everything was done manually, long before computers and even before calculators. I actually used a machine called a comptometer, which I had learnt to use in a business course at Sydney Tech.

Wow, now I am tripping down memory lane. Even though I was a girl from the western suburbs, I spent a lot of time in Sydney town back then.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 06:35:22 pm »
Gee, you're bringing back a lot of memories for me, Sue. I left Sydney in the late 60s to study and was away from the city for a time, but I did do a lot of living before moving away. I didn't return until the 70s were upon us, when I met my to-be partner, George (Royal Australian Navy - coincidence), and disappeared back into the suburbs for 15 years with him. But I managed to do a lot of living before that happened. And it was the best time to be alive in Sydney, when I was young and, yes, as you say, the Cross didn't seem so seedy.

I got to know the Metro Theatre very well because I saw "Hair" several times there. And just opposite the Metro, in Orwell Street, there was a little coffee shop that was so tiny, I swear it  could only seat about 10 people (or so I recall), but they somehow managed to squeeze about 50 people in there! And it only started to fill-up after midnight. All the bohemian and gay crowd went there in the 60s. There was a pocket handkerchief sized kitchen and they somehow managed to produce the best meals, which me and my friends would devour - we'd just spent hours on the dance floor at the Aquarius Club in Darlinghurst Road and were really hungry by the time we got to Orwell Street at 2 a.m.!

The Aquarius Club held exclusively gay dances in the Jewish Macobean Centre up near St Vincent's Hospital. They used to get big name rock/pop bands there. Zoot used to play there quite often. After the dance, we'd walk (roll?!) along Darlinghurst Road, a group of us arm-in-arm, shrieking and giggling, en route to Orwell Street. We'd often pass policemen along the way, doing the beat, but they'd only ever smile and tip their caps at us, as if to say "Evening girls!" They never harassed us. It was a more innocent time. Party drugs were unknown back then. Crikey, my friends and I didn't even smoke. We did enjoy a drink, though!

I do indeed remember "Jesus Christ, Superstar." I loved that show. I saw it a couple of times in the 70s. It had a long run in Sydney. It was on at the Capital Theatre in Haymarket, a fabulously ornate, grand old theatre in high Baroque/Rococo style. A beautiful theatre.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 09:55:28 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2009, 09:52:13 pm »
That statue of Jesus Truman posted is from the movie "Dogma" starring Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. I love it too Kerry. And like you, I'm certain Jesus smiled a lot. A LOT!

It's a shame Christianity (to a large degree) forgets it sometimes...

If I remember correctly, in the movie the church wanted people to view Jesus differently, and they called that statue "Buddy Christ".

:laugh:

If you type in a google search of "Jesus laughing", you'll find pics for it.

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2009, 09:52:54 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 02:56:18 am »

who knew Bob Marley was really Jesus? :o

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork