Author Topic: Table for Six  (Read 17892 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Table for Six
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 06:33:20 am »
Great choices, Chuck. I don't know a lot about Madonna so was curious to read the above. It made me wonder if perhaps some of her songs are directed specifically at gay people. If so, can you post a YouTube clip that will win me over as a fan? I'm open to conversion!  :D

from Wiki:

[edit] Life as a LGBT icon
Madonna was introduced to the gay community while still a teenager. It was her ballet teacher, Christopher Flynn, a gay man, who first told Madonna that she was beautiful.[3] He also introduced her to the local gay community of Detroit, Michigan, often taking her to local gay bars. Flynn also encouraged Madonna to walk away from her full scholarship to the University of Michigan and move to Manhattan to pursue a career as a professional dancer.[3] Upon her arrival, some of the first people she befriended were drag queens and gay rentboys.[citation needed]

After the launch of her music career and her entry into public consciousness, Madonna began to solidify her reputation as a gay icon. In the 1980s, Madonna was one of the first major celebrities to lend her support to AIDS causes. Many of her friends and inspirations, such as her ballet teacher Christopher Flynn, choreographer Alvin Ailey, artist Keith Haring, and photographer Herb Ritts -- as well as her brother Christopher -- are gay males, and some of them have died of AIDS. The song "In This Life" from her fifth studio album, Erotica, is about the loss of Madonna's (gay) friends to AIDS, containing the lines, "Have you ever watched your best friend die?" and "It shouldn't matter who you choose to love".

One of Madonna's biggest hits, 1990's "Vogue", is a song in tribute to the underground dance form known as vogueing which first found popularity in gay bars and discos of New York City.

In the same album, "Deeper and Deeper" deals with a homosexual coming in terms with his/her homosexuality after falling in love. The 11th track of the album "Why's It So Hard?" protests freedom of loving anyone we choose and to challenge the system. The song also contains the line "Why can't we learn to accept that we're different before it's too late"

More here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_as_gay_icon

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Table for Six
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 07:14:06 am »
Thank you kindly, Chuck. I'm off to YouTube.   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν