Author Topic: Meat still any good?  (Read 3535 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Meat still any good?
« on: October 24, 2009, 04:21:21 pm »
 :P

I bought some pork chops and some packaged hot dogs when I went grocery shopping this morning for me and my mom.

Went to drop off the groceries at her house, and she had me do one chore around the house after another and before I knew it, 2.5 hours had passed and my groceries were still in my car.

Is the meat still any good?  It was no longer cool.

Reason I'm upset with myself about this is because I'm unemployed and if it's spoiled, I just wasted $10 on meat for the week that I can't eat.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Meat still any good?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 04:32:51 pm »
My rule on all food is: if it smells ok, then it is ok.

If you're still in doubt: cook it without mixing anything in it, then taste it. If it tastes ok, then it is ok.

I've never had food poisoning in all my life.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 04:40:49 pm »
I can't trust my nose, I've had sinusitis all my life and my sense of smell is very poor.

I can't cook it all, because it's supposed to last the week, if I cook it all now, it will be an inedible piece of cardboard in 3 days.

Hot dogs are already pre-cooked, aren't they?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 06:21:06 pm »
I can't trust my nose, I've had sinusitis all my life and my sense of smell is very poor.

I can't cook it all, because it's supposed to last the week, if I cook it all now, it will be an inedible piece of cardboard in 3 days.

Hot dogs are already pre-cooked, aren't they?

Yes, hot dogs are pre-cooked.  The pork chops, I'm not so sure about.  Do you have a microwave?  If so, maybe look online for a good microwave pork chop casserole recipe.  I know you can do hotdogs in the microwave (pierce with a fork first), but I don't know about the other, without ruining it.  I trust microwaves to kill any bacteria that might be lingering, though this is probably overly cautious.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 07:59:39 pm »
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 09:37:13 pm »
I'd bone and dice the pork chops and slow simmer them in a large pot with onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes and a can of diced tomatoes, mixed in with a couple of cups of water and some vegetable stock. Cook on slow heat until mixture is reduced to a yummy, thick casserole.

The hot dogs I'd cook in an Italian-type sauce comprising a couple of cans of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, garlic and oregano. Serve with pasta or rice and a fresh tossed salad.

Store in individual, one-serve containers in freezer.  
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 12:08:31 pm »
I'd bone and dice the pork chops and slow simmer them in a large pot with onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes and a can of diced tomatoes, mixed in with a couple of cups of water and some vegetable stock. Cook on slow heat until mixture is reduced to a yummy, thick casserole.

The hot dogs I'd cook in an Italian-type sauce comprising a couple of cans of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, garlic and oregano. Serve with pasta or rice and a fresh tossed salad.

Store in individual, one-serve containers in freezer.  

Yummy!