Author Topic: Thoughts, discussion and feedback on the banner  (Read 105222 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Thoughts, discussion and feedback on the banner
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 04:46:36 pm »
Amanda's and my post just crossed. Speaking of Bobby the scene of them both walking to the bar in Signal: this is exactly what my second observation is about:

the front of this café reminds me of the front of the bar in Signal

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 04:52:57 pm »

I also think that Jack may perceive this status of being slightly ahead as his "short leash."  I recall discussions from long ago where folks observed that the early scene where Jack is a few steps ahead of Ennis going to the bar in Signal... almost looks like Jack is on an invisible/ make-believe leash.

yes, cause even though Jack leads the way and Ennis follows, Jack isn't necessarily the one with the most "power" in the relationship.

On another note, maybe another reason why Ennis never went for that sweet life, was because Jack didn´t lead the way. Not really. After all, Jack never left Lureen, he never bought a ranch etc. Jack only talked about it, but didn´t give Ennis any footsteps to follow in.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 04:57:46 pm »

Two more details stood out for me in that scene: look at the screenshot again. The woman to the right holds a brown paper bag. I know this is very common in the US But she doesn't hold a full paper bag on her arm; no it's a half empty one, the above part rolled down. She holds it the same way Ennis holds his paper bags in the beginning and when he leaves the Twist ranch.

Now, that´s just plain eerie

I´m impressed with your eye for details

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 07:23:13 pm »

Yes, Chrissi, that observation about the woman with the paper bag is absolutely amazing!!!  I never noticed that before (after all this time) and it seems so, so significant.  All I can say is wow, and I tip my hat to you Bud!
 :-*

yes, cause even though Jack leads the way and Ennis follows, Jack isn't necessarily the one with the most "power" in the relationship.

On another note, maybe another reason why Ennis never went for that sweet life, was because Jack didn´t lead the way. Not really. After all, Jack never left Lureen, he never bought a ranch etc. Jack only talked about it, but didn´t give Ennis any footsteps to follow in.

I really like these observations too!  You're right that being in front, while seemingly positive, doesn't necessarily mean Jack had control and interestingly, everything remains relative to Ennis's position.  They're tied together.

Also, I think you're right that Jack didn't really make a big push to lead the way about establishing a life together beyond making the steps to reconnect in 67.  It is very striking that he never got divorced and that Ennis took that step first.  Maybe if Jack had gone ahead and done something concrete... like moving closer to Ennis (maybe moving back to Wyoming someplace, etc.) or just anything that might have given Ennis something concrete to focus on in terms of moving forward together... maybe things could have been different.  Maybe the discussions about the sweet life always seemed too abstract and too linked to the realm of dream for it to seem realistic at all to Ennis (beyond all the fears that we know about).  But, maybe some kind of practical step or element to concentrate on could have helped.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 09:01:45 pm »
I have often wanted to comment on the banners, but haven´t been sure where to do it.

Me too!  Great idea, Amanda  :)

And the observations and discussion here is great also.  It's amazing - and wonderful - to keep discovering new things about the story and the movie.  I'd never noticed the similarities in the trucks, the invisible driver or the paper bag lady.  But it's clear that they are all carefully planned and placed (or not placed).  Ang Lee certainly earned that Oscar!

I also think that Jack may perceive this status of being slightly ahead as his "short leash."

I like the observation a lot, but even more so, I like the way you worded this.  It was Jack's perception, but I don't think Ennis had the same perception at all in regards to Jack's life or their relationship.  I think Ennis felt iintimidated by what he imagined Jack's life in Texas was like, and the fact that he had to quit jobs and barter for time off in order to see Jack probably made him feel pretty powerless himself.  I guess the sad truth is that neither one of them had any true "power."
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 11:10:19 pm »
Heya Marie!
Thanks for jumping in here Bud! :)  Yeah, my mind is still totally blown by the paper bag lady in the final postcard scene.

Anyway, I came back to this thread just now because I just was gazing at the banner and thinking about how ominous that truck really is.  I mean, in that shot we really are probably looking at the vehicle that factored significantly in Jack's death one way or the other.  He was probably driving that truck most definitely in the accident scenario (and the fact that the tire and rim feature so prominently in the picture is truly spooky), it's more ambigous in the murder alternative, but it also seems probably that he could have been coming or going from that truck.
 :(

Trucks can be positive things in BBM, like the red truck or the somewhat funny early clunker that Jack has, or truly ominous and deadly.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 05:26:03 am »
Wow, so many new things here. I never noticed the lady holding the paper bag in the postcard scene either, or the fact that there's no driver visible in that scene.
It's almost as if Ang put in these details like he was putting together a puzzle or a riddle. 'Let's see if anyone finds this!' Bravo Chrissi.  :)

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 08:38:23 pm »
One truck that really makes an impact on me is the one between Ennis and Jack that is half-rust colored, half-blue.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 12:15:36 pm »

Yesterday I was the one who changed the banner image with the idea of stressing the re-opening of the Holiday Forum in mind.  And, I immediately gravitated to this image of the reunion camping scene for the banner.  It was mostly just for aesthetic reasons that I thought I chose it - knowing full well that within the context of BBM this isn't a holiday related scene.  I didn't feel like putting up any of the shots of the actual BBM Thanksgiving scenes.  It wasn't until later that I realized one reason why this image springs to mind when thinking about Thanksgiving particularly.  I think it has to do with the way Ennis expresses himself with the phrase "sending up a prayer of thanks." Which, in a fundamental way seems to be what Thanksgiving is supposed to be about... giving thanks for the people and good things in your life.

Maybe this is the real Thanksgiving scene in BBM and in the lives of Jack and Ennis... whereas the conventional Thanksgivings apart from one another fall well short of the ideals of Thanksgiving.

I wonder if there's a kind of bookend involved here.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 04:17:26 pm »
Maybe this is the real Thanksgiving scene in BBM and in the lives of Jack and Ennis... whereas the conventional Thanksgivings apart from one another fall well short of the ideals of Thanksgiving.

Oh, Amanda, I love this thought!  I think you're absolutely right.  And, once again, I can't believe I haven't made the connection before!  I've always loved that picture, but now you've added another layer and I appreciate it even more.  Thank you.   :)
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain