Author Topic: Names  (Read 6353 times)

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Names
« on: October 29, 2009, 10:41:06 pm »
 I have most of the call sheets for the movie's filming in Alberta in the summer of 2004and I was browsing through them the other day. (Call sheets, by the way, are the announcements put out daily for the scenes to be shot the next day, the actors required, the time they're needed etc., etc. ). Curiously, three of the lead actors chose not to be identified by their actual name - Heath Ledger, for  instance - but by another name they, presumably. had made up themselves. For instance, the first scene they started shooting (on Tuesday May 25)  was the Thanksgiving dinner at Monroe's house and the actor required for that scene is duly listed as Heath Ledger. However, shortly after that the actor playing Ennis del Mar is no longer Heath Ledger but Keith Fletcher and a few days after that becomes Keith 'Fletch' Flecher and so remains for the rest of the movie. Jake G. wasn't needed until June 9 but the actor playing Jack Twist was never identified as Jake Gyllenhall; throughout the whole of the movie he's always identified as "Teddy Daniel". Anne Hathaway wasn't needed until July 26 and for that day's shooting she is duly identified as Anne Hathaway but by the next day she has become "Lucy Burnett". A number of the other characters, however, like Michelle Williams, retain their given or actual names  throughout.

Quite what was going on in this merry game of names, I've no idea. Any suggestions?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Names
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:24:51 pm »
Wow! That's really interesting!  Thanks for posting this info.  LOL, my guess is that there are a lot of obscure inside jokes at play in those made-up names.  Maybe more thorough Heathens and Gyllenhaalics than I might be able to figure out what some of the references might be in those names.  But, I don't really know.  Maybe these names should be brought up in the Heath, Heath, Heath thread and the Jake, Jake, Jake thread to see if anyone might come up with references.  I think I'll post a link to this thread in both HHH and JJJ.

Are there any other interesting tidbits that you can share from the call sheets?
 ;D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 11:49:36 pm »
Very cool info. Thanks for posting! I hope somebody can offer any insight regarding those names.

Are there any other interesting tidbits that you can share from the call sheets?

yes please! ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 12:28:46 am »
I have most of the call sheets for the movie's filming in Alberta in the summer of 2004and I was browsing through them the other day. (Call sheets, by the way, are the announcements put out daily for the scenes to be shot the next day, the actors required, the time they're needed etc., etc. ). Curiously, three of the lead actors chose not to be identified by their actual name - Heath Ledger, for  instance - but by another name they, presumably. had made up themselves. For instance, the first scene they started shooting (on Tuesday May 25)  was the Thanksgiving dinner at Monroe's house and the actor required for that scene is duly listed as Heath Ledger. However, shortly after that the actor playing Ennis del Mar is no longer Heath Ledger but Keith Fletcher and a few days after that becomes Keith 'Fletch' Flecher and so remains for the rest of the movie. Jake G. wasn't needed until June 9 but the actor playing Jack Twist was never identified as Jake Gyllenhall; throughout the whole of the movie he's always identified as "Teddy Daniel". Anne Hathaway wasn't needed until July 26 and for that day's shooting she is duly identified as Anne Hathaway but by the next day she has become "Lucy Burnett". A number of the other characters, however, like Michelle Williams, retain their given or actual names  throughout.

Quite what was going on in this merry game of names, I've no idea. Any suggestions?

Hey there Eric!

It is strange they would do something like that. It must be a Hollywood thing - like a secret club or something. Something they do that only makes sense to them at the time.

That's really the only idea I have. :-\

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 03:19:27 am »
I remember he went by "Keith Fletcher," and I always figured it was to keep fans away, if the call sheets got out.

I just Googled "Teddy Daniels," and discovered its the name of the lead character (played by Leonardo DeCaprio) in a movie schedule to come out next year called Shutter Island.  Michelle Williams is in the cast!

Googling "Lucy Burnett" shows there are people with that name, but nothing striking.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 03:29:37 am »
I remember reading on findingbrokeback.com that Keith Fletcher was the name Heath also used when he (and the rest of the cast) stayed at the Red Coat Inn in Ford Macleod.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 03:33:43 am »
Hi Chowhound!

You're such a source of information!

I wonder if they would keep those names in call sheets regarding other movies too. Or was it just a BbM thing?
BbM, I swear

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 10:21:52 pm »

Googling "Lucy Burnett" shows there are people with that name, but nothing striking.

Anne Hathaway is famous in its own right, being the love of William Shakespeare.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 03:48:01 am »
"Lucy Burnett".

Maybe Anne or whoever gave her the name admires the comediennes Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 11:41:04 pm »
I never thought of that, but good point!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"