Author Topic: Swill-Swallow Mountain  (Read 101298 times)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
Swill-Swallow Mountain
« on: November 03, 2009, 03:51:25 am »
E. Annie Proulx papers and 'Eloise' illustrations donated to New York library

NEW YORK — A celebrated chronicler of rural life, E. Annie Proulx, has found a literary home in the big city.

Proulx, whose works include the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel "The Shipping News" and the short story "Brokeback Mountain" that was the basis for the film starring Heath Ledger, has donated her papers to the New York Public Library.

"What writer would not be honoured to be in the company of Walt Whitman, Mark Twain, Thoreau, Saul Bellow, Nabokov, Jack Kerouac, Virginia Woolf, Marianne Moore, Paul Auster and W. H. Auden?" Proulx said in a statement released Monday by the library. "To me there is an odd sense of balance that material dealing with some of the most rural landscapes in North America will reside in our major city."

Proulx is giving tens of thousands of pages to the library, including diaries, journals, manuscripts and notebooks. The collection includes early versions of "Brokeback Mountain," with such working titles as "Bulldust Mountain" and "Swill-Swallow Mountain," and drafts of the film's screenplay written by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5inpB9WvcwaAiaXVLm3YjGCDTetFg

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Swill-Swallow Mountain
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 07:14:58 am »
Oh oh I love this! I wanna read it all!

I wonder what those other titles originated from

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:04:03 pm »
Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 01:12:10 pm »
Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip.
That is does. That it does.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 02:31:09 pm »
Correspondence, Early Book Drafts, Notebooks, Sketches for The Shipping News, Brokeback Mountain and Other Works Now Available to Researchers in The Henry W. and Albert A. Berg Collection of English and American Literature

“I am, of course, very pleased that my notes, manuscript, sketches, letters and photographs have gone to the Berg Collection of The New York Public Library,” said Ms. Proulx. “What writer would not be honored to be in the company of Walt Whitman, Mark Twain, Thoreau, Saul Bellow, Nabokov, Jack Kerouac, Virginia Woolfe, Marianne Moore, Paul Auster and W. H. Auden? To me there is an odd sense of balance that material dealing with some of the most rural landscapes in North America will reside in our major city. Aside from the pages directly related to my writing, the letters, emails, financial reports to and from agents, publishers, editors and translators may be useful to future historians and scholars examining this period in American publishing and literature. We are currently undergoing major changes in the way we regard intellectual property and literary work; some of anxieties of that metamorphosis are reflected in my archive.”

The collection includes an early notebook (1987-89) of draft ideas for Proulx’s first novel, Postcards, which won a Pen-Faulkner Award for Fiction. Her most famous novel, the Pulitzer Prize-winning The Shipping News, is represented by 3,662 pages of typescript, many with holograph revision and correction, along with screenplay adaptation pages and correspondence. A 1993 typescript bears heavy holograph revisions in purple ink. Early drafts (1994) of the novel Accordion Crimes total about 1,000 pages.

A notebook containing original manuscript ideas for Proulx’s short story “Brokeback Mountain” is included in the collection, along with 21 typescripts under a variety of working titles including “Bulldust Mountain,” “Whiskey Mountain,” and “Swill-Swallow Mountain.” Three corrected typescript drafts of Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana’s screenplay adaption of the story are included, along with legal documentation and clippings.

http://www.nypl.org/press/releases/?article_id=353

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 02:31:41 pm »
The Berg Collection was established for the use of scholars and researchers. Conservation concerns, as well as other demands on staff time, require that we limit the use of our materials to this group.

We do, however, attempt to satisfy the general public's interest in our holdings through interpretive exhibitions and group presentations. If your group (minimum 8 persons, maximum 20) would like to schedule a presentation with the Curator, please contact him

http://www.nypl.org/research/chss/spe/brg/procedure.html

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 03:40:05 pm »
We do, however, attempt to satisfy the general public's interest in our holdings through interpretive exhibitions and group presentations. If your group (minimum 8 persons, maximum 20) would like to schedule a presentation with the Curator, please contact him

http://www.nypl.org/research/chss/spe/brg/procedure.html

Does this mean a single person can not get access to specific scripts (or copies of it), but a goup of eight to twenty people can? :o
Wouldn't be hard to get a goup of eight together in NYC, but maybe could be hard to limit the group to twenty.

Did I get this right? That on principal, all that stuff (from Mark Twain to Annie Proulx) is accessable to the public? But due to technicalities, single persons can't get access, only small groups?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 03:48:46 pm »

Swill-Swallow Mountain? ::) I'm sure glad that she changed that.
Whiskey Mountain? Ditto. Not overly creative. I could have come up with it.
Bulldust Mountain? Not bad, IMO.

Interesting that the "Mountain" part has been a given from early on. I mean, even when the mountain plays a prominent role in the story, she still could have named the story something completely different.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 04:04:24 pm »

Does this mean a single person can not get access to specific scripts (or copies of it), but a goup of eight to twenty people can? :o
Wouldn't be hard to get a goup of eight together in NYC, but maybe could be hard to limit the group to twenty.

Did I get this right? That on principal, all that stuff (from Mark Twain to Annie Proulx) is accessable to the public? But due to technicalities, single persons can't get access, only small groups?

I think you're right.

I'm thinking we need to organize a group presentation at the NYPL. Maybe more than one group too.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 05:17:09 pm »
Swill-Swallow Mountain? ::) I'm sure glad that she changed that.
Whiskey Mountain? Ditto. Not overly creative. I could have come up with it.
Bulldust Mountain? Not bad, IMO.

Interesting that the "Mountain" part has been a given from early on. I mean, even when the mountain plays a prominent role in the story, she still could have named the story something completely different.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing about these early title possibilities.  Swill-Swallow Mountain is pretty awfull (IMO), and I agree that Bulldust Moutain would be the best of the three alternatives.  I'm very, very glad she settled on the Brokeback title!  To me it's such a great word for the title.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie