Author Topic: Malapropisms, mondegreens, eggcorns, spoonerisms and others!  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Malapropisms, mondegreens, eggcorns, spoonerisms and others!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2022, 12:50:24 pm »
(When was the last time you saw wont used in a sentence?  ;D )[/font][/size]

I don't think I've EVER seen it in a sentence!

Here's a nice malaprop:
"Smith recalled that Joplin started reciting, ?Oh, Lord won?t you buy me a Mercedes Benz? ? the first line of McClure?s song. The four others then started banging beer mugs on the table to form a rhythm, and Neuwirth wrote down lyrics he and Joplin came up with on a napkin. Janis later introduced the song at her show that evening by saying, ?I just wrote this at the bar on the corner. I?m going to do it Acapulco.?--Joe Taysom Far Out Magazine"
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• Bork bork bork
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2022, 01:39:42 pm »
Nice one!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2023, 10:26:12 am »
I guess I just encountered a mondegreen of my own.

This morning my favorite radio station played "Heaven is a Place on Earth," sung by Belinda Carlisle.

This morning I looked up the lyrics. One line is "Ooh, Heaven is a place on earth."

I always heard it as "Blue Heaven is a place on earth."

:laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2023, 12:01:04 pm »
Came across a fun mondegreen this morning. Somebody mistook "Knockin' on Heaven's door" for "Knockin' on Kevin's door."

Also, not a mondegreen, but somebody thought their family was saying "Harvey darned" when they were saying "I'll be darned."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2023, 12:26:02 pm »

Former Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott once claimed that no one "is the suppository of all wisdom" (i.e., repository or depository). Similarly, as reported in New Scientist, an office worker had described a colleague as "a vast suppository of information". The worker then apologised for his "Miss-Marple-ism" (i.e., malapropism). New Scientist noted this as possibly the first time anyone had uttered a malapropism for the word malapropism itself.

Offline Chuck gave me several volumes of the "Ladies Suppository" (repository) a monthly periodical on Literature and Religion published in the mid-1800s. They sadly had all their illustrations removed, matted, framed and sold by  his  former employer, a print shop. He renamed the books when he presented them to me and they have retained that name ever since.

"Knockin' on Kevin's Door" will go down with "This is the cereal that's shot from guns" as the two phrases that have spoiled my listening pleasure the most.  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2023, 12:59:58 pm »
Offline Chuck gave me several volumes of the "Ladies Suppository" (repository) a monthly periodical on Literature and Religion published in the mid-1800s. They sadly had all their illustrations removed, matted, framed and sold by  his  former employer, a print shop. He renamed the books when he presented them to me and they have retained that name ever since.

I suppose issues of Harper's Weekly from the Civil War aren't all that rare, but still the history major in me wanted to scream very loudly when I saw him desecrating a set of bound volumes of the periodical by removing all the illustrations. 

"Knockin' on Kevin's Door" will go down with "This is the cereal that's shot from guns" as the two phrases that have spoiled my listening pleasure the most.  :laugh:

I'm not getting that one.  ???

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2023, 02:26:15 pm »
Quaker Cereals appropriated Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, I believe, for their puffed rice cereal commercial.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2023, 03:29:09 pm »
Have we talked about "Knowledge is power, France is bacon"? If not, you've all probably heard that one. I just came across it the other day and chuckled again at the idea that someone would go through life baffled at why people seemed to think the phrase was perfectly normal.