Author Topic: Photo Captions - Irreverent! Beware  (Read 1238423 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Photo Captions - Irreverent! Beware
« Reply #1260 on: January 19, 2007, 04:34:59 am »
Ennis: What'ryou doin'
Jack: The motion picture industry is over 100 years old. What do you think I'm doing?

(another Lucise photo montage)
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1261 on: January 19, 2007, 05:32:36 pm »
The Boys in the Band (play--1968; movie--1970)
A bitter and self-recriminatory film about gay life in New York. A long party, perhaps infiltrated by one straight man (perhaps not). The actors who played Harold and Michael (pictured below) were both dead of AIDS by 1992.
The play and movie of course pre-date AIDS.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 03:36:49 am by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1262 on: January 19, 2007, 05:43:07 pm »
"Parting Glances", 1983.
Hi. I'm Nick. I've got AIDS, which puts a bit of a damper on your life, but everyone manages to remain fairly cheerful, and, in spite of horrendous shooting conditions which you wouldn't BELIEVE, they act up a storm.

(Steve Buscemi as Nick)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 03:54:43 pm by twistedude »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1263 on: January 19, 2007, 06:09:57 pm »
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QP3NH3CQ

Cold Case episode 10 and 79, December and January, 2006, '07: "Forever Blue"
CBS. Never would have happened without Brokeback, but is only slightly derivitive...being about cops....in Philadelphia, 1968 and 2006.

Oh I coud hide neath the wing
of a bluebird as she sings
The six o'clock alarm would never ring.
But it rings and I rise
Wipe the sleep out of my eyes.
The shavin' razor's cold and it stings.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 08:09:35 pm by twistedude »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1264 on: January 19, 2007, 06:24:17 pm »
More...

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 06:33:20 pm by twistedude »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1265 on: January 20, 2007, 03:12:43 am »
"Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last, have you no sense of decency?"
Angels in America (play--1993; miniseries  HBO---2003

A gay Fantasia on AIDS, polItics and humanity, won 5 Golden Globes and more Emmys than I could count (I stopped at 17)

The Angel of America,( Emma Thompson) who likes having sex better than proclaiming truth.

Roy Cohen, dying of AIDS (Al Pacino, best actor, Emmy, magnificent as the man you love to hate.)..

Belize(Jeffrey Wright), come to collect Roy's AZT, after he dies.

The ghost of Ethel Rosenberg (Meryl Streep) calls 911 for Roy ("ooo....buttons! They sing a song: beep. beep, beep")

Roy: What's it like...after?
Belize (the night nurse): heaven or hell?
Roy:---
Belize: Like San Franciso. Big city, overrun with weeds, but flowering weeds. Pretty wind, a gray high sky. ..and everyone wears red corsages. Dance palaces full of...gender confusion, and all the dieties are Creole.
Roy: And heaven?
Belize: That was heaven, Roy.

The plot is intricate and great. But many gay people don't like it--too much of the time of AIDS dominance.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:36:36 pm by twistedude »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1266 on: January 20, 2007, 03:52:17 pm »
La Cage Aux Folles (1978)--"birds of a feather"--but literally, "the cage for crazy ladies"

"La Cage aux Folles" is the name of the nightclub Albin (French) and Renato (Italian) own, in which Albin performs nightly as a transvestite dancer and singer. They have lived on St. Tropez (French Riviera) together for many years. (St. Tropez is the only spot on earth that's more expensive than Berkeley, I'm told).
During one of these years, Renato has got himself a son ("you have to try everything once"), and now, the son is getting married, to a girl.
Her father looks just like Richard Nixon.
They attempt to transform themselves into a straight couple for one night, as hosts to the in-laws-to-be,  and their comfortable apartment (with only a few  phallic nick-nacks) and a very few  statues of naked men) into a severe domicile with a huge wooden cross over the fireplace.

None of it comes off in the end, but the wedding. Love prevails.

And if it isn't funny, will someone tell me why it ran at the Act 1-Act2 in Berkeley...for THREE YEARS? (movies usually stay there for 2 weeks)

Below: An alleyway in St. Tropez. below that: Renato tries to instruct Albin in how NOT to hold a teacup, butter toast, and how to walk like John Wayne.

P.S: DON'T see "The Birdcage..."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 04:22:51 pm by twistedude »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
)
« Reply #1267 on: January 22, 2007, 08:58:08 pm »
"Cruising", 1980

Perhaps the most disliked of all  gay-themed movies (not by me!~), it deals with a cop (Pacino, at his usual magnificent best) who is assigned to go undercover in the seamiest part of the gay community in New York City to solve a serial killing. Many gay people felt that they had enough problems already without having people see them portrayed as living among the ugliest part of humanity (and perhaps spreading the notion that the part stood for the whole).

Two questions: 1) Who was the killer, anyhow?
2) Can you go undercover without going undercover? How?

(the more trditional posters are still under licence)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:40:11 pm by twistedude »

moremojo

« Reply #1268 on: January 24, 2007, 07:28:15 pm »
The plot is intricate and great. But many gay people don't like it--too much of the time of AIDS dominance.
I'm one of the gay people who like it--a lot! I think it's one of the finest made-for-television works ever. But I did think the first half was much stronger than the second, which was further marred by a muddled ending. And yet the second half featured my single favorite moment in the production, when the ghost of Ethel Rosenberg visits Roy on his deathbed, and poetically conveys her stinging, icy contempt for his hateful spirit.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1269 on: January 24, 2007, 08:07:49 pm »
That's funny, because MY favorite moment is when she prompts Louis in saying the Hebrew prayer for the dead- for Roy-and then finishes up with "You son of a bitch!"

She is SO great in that part!

We (me and my ex and our two houseguests) just watched it last night. Watched it straight through.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:11:32 pm by twistedude »