Author Topic: O/T Now that Zodiac or whatever it's going to be called  (Read 5495 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
O/T Now that Zodiac or whatever it's going to be called
« on: August 15, 2006, 11:47:11 am »
isn't coming out until JAN.  What movies are BROKIES looking forward to seeing in the 2nd half of the year.  I'm looking forward to seeing THE FOUNTAIN, a philsophical movie in which the character drinks from the FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH and lives for many centuries.  It's done by the same director who did PI and REQUIEM FOR A DREAM.  Doens't sound like there will be any gay subplot, but sounds most interesting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993/ 

The website for the film is visually very intersting.

Anybody else have films there looking forward to in the Fall season?

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: O/T Now that Zodiac or whatever it's going to be called
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 01:20:33 pm »
I'm looking forward to Half Nelson, which I just read about for the first time this morning.  Ryan Gosling plays a 30 something middle school teacher who is a crack addict by night... it's getting great reviews and I'm a big fan of Ryan Gosling.  It's supposedly much less Stand and Deliver or Dead Poet's Society than it sounds...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 02:44:26 pm »
I'm looking forward to "The Fountain," too.  I love Darron Aronofsky's movies.  And to "Little Miss Sunshine" with Greg Kinnear and Toni Collette (I'm going to watch it in spite of Steve Carell, honestly).  My Entertainment Weekly "Fall Preview Issue" showed "Candy" as being released here in October, I think it is, so of course I'm looking forward to that one.  "The Good German" also looks very interesting - I'm going to see that one in spite of George Clooney.  I'm probably in a vast minority on this one, but I can't stand him.  I can always see him acting and it bugs the bejesus out of me.  But Cate Blanchett, Tobey Maguire (playing against type again, I understand) and Beau Bridges are in it, all of whom I *love*, and it was written by Paul Attanasio, whose feet I would kiss if I ever met him for writing one of my favorite screenplays ever ("Quiz Show") and directed by Steven Soderbergh.  The similarly titled "The Good Shepherd" with Matt Damon and Angelina Jolie (and directed by Robert DeNiro) looks promising, too.
No more beans!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 05:19:22 pm »
Little Miss Sunshine looks very good... it unfortunately hasn't gotten very good reviews however (not that that necessarily means anything)

I also love Darron Aronofsky... Pi is one of my favorite movies, I'll watch anything he does.  This thread is the first time I've heard of fountain.

Is it too early to say I'm looking forward to Spiderman III? Kiersten Dunst aside, I love Spiderman and the comics with Venom are some of my favorites, when I saw the movie had Venom in it I started to re read them all...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 02:37:55 am »
Little Miss Sunshine IS good, even better than I expected.  And I predict that those of you who can't stand Steve Carell will like him in this. 

Besides Candy, which I'm looking forward to/dreading (because of intense subject matter), here are four films that sound good to me (click on each to see more): 

The U.S. vs. John Lennon
49 Up
Fast Food Nation
Running with Scissors

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 08:28:16 am »
I didn't know they were making a movie of fast food nation... that should be interesting, the book was amazing.  The only problem is, I know the book came before the movie Super Size Me, but wouldn't the two films be kind of similar? Oh well, I'll be interested to see how they do it.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 09:40:54 am »
Little Miss Sunshine IS good, even better than I expected.  And I predict that those of you who can't stand Steve Carell will like him in this. 

Besides Candy, which I'm looking forward to/dreading (because of intense subject matter), here are four films that sound good to me (click on each to see more): 

The U.S. vs. John Lennon
49 Up
Fast Food Nation
Running with Scissors

My understanding is my beloved Joseph Fiennes plays a gay character in Running With Scissors.  I'll be most interested in seeing that - I haven't seen him in anything in a long time, and haven't much liked him in anything since "Shakespeare in Love" and "Elizabeth."
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 04:25:38 pm »
Maggie Gyllenhaal is starring in a film entitled Sherrybaby next month.  Tells the story of a former drug addict (Gyllenhaal) whom gets out of prison and tries to get her life back in order starting with regaining custody of her young daughter...looks really good!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 04:27:55 pm »
The Black Dahlia starring Hilary Swank and Josh Hartnett looks good too!  I love Hilary Swank!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 04:40:40 pm »
And I am REALLY excited for Clint Eastwood's Flags of our Fathers...