Author Topic: Avatar Admiration  (Read 7055 times)

TheStudDuck

« on: April 02, 2006, 01:56:56 pm »
Okay, I've been seeing people's avatars around Chez Tremblay and some of them I am quite curious to know what their significance is.  I mean, I can usually tell the Brokeback Mountain ones very easily... or the personal "head shots" of our Tremblayan friends.  But others I'm just like, "hey, what's that?"

So... please just take a second to... um... explain to us why you chose what you chose as your avatar -- and if it needs to be explained as to what it is, do that as well.

And here I go explaining mine...

To your left, you can see one of my all time favorite paintings, Starry Night, by my most favorite painter, Vincent Van Gogh.  Isn't it beautiful?  I love just getting to look at it every time I post.  I just get this rush of joy and this thrill of unfathomable beauty.  It just takes my breath away.  :)

I may actually start changing it weekly to a favorite work of art of mine -- because I have so many paintings that I am just so unbelievably in love with.  My second favorite (and possibly tied for first favorite) painting of Van Gogh's is this wonderful painting that he did around the same time called Olive Orchard and I think that will be the next one that I have as my avatar.  So keep a lookout for my "artwork I love" of the week avatar.  You can share in the flutter of my heart when my page loads and right next to my post is one of the greatest paintings to ever be composed!

This is Olive Orchard if you are curious as to what avatar is in store for you next week:

Okay, now everyone else can tell me about their avatars!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 12:55:18 am by TheStudDuck »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Avatar Admiration
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 02:04:27 pm »
I'm with you studs, I'll probably be changing my avatar as I go too, there are SOOOOOOO many beautiful images out there to share.

I just decided to start with my girl Angie in her one of her best incarnations as Commander Franky Cook (her 2nd best incarnation is Olympias in 'Alexander'.  She is both devastatingly maternal, beautiful and scary!)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 02:13:55 pm by delalluvia »

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 02:09:23 pm »
I don't really know how to thumbnail, but as for reducing images in an easy way in Paint, go into "Image" and click on Stretch/Skew. then where it says the percentage of the picture in height and width, change it to like, 50% each on H and W. So you are actually shrinking it by 50%. that should work, and save it as whatever file name you want and then upload that.

It worked for my photo last night.

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

TheStudDuck

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 02:14:48 pm »
I know how to do that... but I don't think you can upload images into a post... you can only upload them as your avatar.  And I did that with my Starry Night one, reduced it before I uploaded it.

I've seen people thumbnailing... but I don't know how they did it!

TheStudDuck

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 02:28:04 pm »
I'm seeing a lot of people viewing this thread... and not a lot of people posting...

What's wrong with you?  Take pride in your avatar!

Offline Überlibran

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 02:39:15 pm »
Lol, alright StudDuck, but there's really no need to explain my avatar. Since you insist though  :P, I snagged it from Livejournal by a guy who goes by the name of Turi, and he does great animated icons. As a matter of fact, this one's animated, but I can't figure out how to get the sucker to work.  ???
One must talk, talk, talk - it is only by talking that we shall caper upon the summit; otherwise the mountains will overshadow us.

http://users.livejournal.com/_sepia

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 03:47:22 pm »
here's another frame from that avatar.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 03:49:30 pm by montferrat »
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 03:50:07 pm »
I also think this one is cute too.
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 04:09:53 pm »
here's  another frame from that "turi" icon and also one other lifted from Livejournal.
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Überlibran

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 04:13:51 pm »
Those are adorable, montferrat. Wish I could get the animation to work in my icon :-\. Maybe I'll check with Phillip to see if he has any bright ideas.
One must talk, talk, talk - it is only by talking that we shall caper upon the summit; otherwise the mountains will overshadow us.

http://users.livejournal.com/_sepia

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 05:29:02 pm »
My avatar? Well it's a short story sweetheart, it was only about three seconds I was on that bronc....seriously, it was exactly three seconds (hey, I have something in common with Ennis!). It was at our After-Grad night. Only instead of flying through the air, the next thing I knew was sliding off and plopping onto the paddiness surrounding it (the thing was plastic and slippery, not fair!). I've been trying to figure out how to post it in the What do we look like? thread but can't. Me and digital pictures don't get along very well....
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 06:08:15 pm by cmr107 »

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 05:34:20 pm »
LOLOL!  cmr!  (courtney?)

Hey, if you go to the "so what do we look like" thread just hit "reply" and when the reply page comes up to type your message, look in the lower left. You'll see a text link that says something like "additional options". click on that and you'll see a drop down box with a button that says "browse" click the browse button and find the picture on your computer. Click "add" and then "post" if your picture is under 124 kb it will post on the thread!

Let me know if it works for you!

Paul
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 05:35:56 pm »
I don't get what were suppose to do in this thread..admire other peoples avatars? If so I like Nicole's (Not Nicole T.), everytime I see it I chuckle :D

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 05:38:37 pm »
Hi Brandon,

I think originally David wanted to know the "story" behind our avatars.

erm...I guess mine is, it's the most flattering picture i could find of myself! Plus, you know, cowboy hat.

Some people have like scenes or landscapes or what have you and David was curious about what they represent.

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 05:41:38 pm »
Oh, ok I guess mine represents me taking the place of Jake or Heath in the pic :D

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 05:48:29 pm »
Thanks Paul! (Yes, I'm Courtney.) I'll go try that.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Avatar Admiration - I wish!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 12:00:13 am »
Could someone with a lot of patience, please explain how to get/post avatars?
What I've tried hasn't worked, so if someone could explain it baby step by baby step, I'd sure appreciate it.   
Lynn
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • First Kisses
Re: Avatar Admiration - I wish!
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 12:29:34 am »
Could someone with a lot of patience, please explain how to get/post avatars?
What I've tried hasn't worked, so if someone could explain it baby step by baby step, I'd sure appreciate it.   
Lynn

Here is a tutorial I made for adding an avatar to your profile.  It's easier to show and tell.

Tutorial

Another thing that might be of use is the Online Image Resizer so you can get your pics at 65 X 65.  I have a photo program to do this, but the online resizer is the 'quick and dirty' way.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 12:31:34 am by two_bloody_shirts »
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 02:48:36 am »
To your left, you can see one of my all time favorite paintings, Starry Night, by my most favorite painter, Vincent Van Gogh.  Isn't it beautiful?  I love just getting to look at it every time I post.  I just get this rush of joy and this thrill of unfathomable beauty.  It just takes my breath away.  :)

David,

Are you familiar with Don Maclean (of American Pie fame)'s song Vincent?  It's basically about Don's impact when he first saw "Starry Night."  I'll email you the MP3 if you don't have it, you really need to listen to it.  Assuming, of course, it's legal for me to send you that MP3.
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

TheStudDuck

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 03:43:43 am »
I am famliar with the Don McLean song "Vincent" -- I happen to own his "American Pie" album (the album that it is on).  Man, Don McLean is sooooo awesome! :)

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 03:55:16 am »
Okay, I guess I don't need to spell it out but I chose my Avatar, and Sheyne has agreed, simply because he is me and I am him. I'm less of a slob, but a buffoon no less, and I am a little less yellow and have eight strands more hair.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

vkm91941

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 04:15:45 am »
Well my avitar is the most pedestrian of the bunch..It's my dog..Miss Sassafrass, affectionately know as Sassy. ;D

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2006, 10:58:12 am »
I don't get what were suppose to do in this thread..admire other peoples avatars? If so I like Nicole's (Not Nicole T.), everytime I see it I chuckle :D

Thanks Brandon, it makes me laugh too.  I saw it on some message board - someone had cropped that photo of him from the pre-Oscar party and added "Rock On" - I have no idea how to make avatars, so I am reduced to stealing them from others, lol. 
   Cowboys do it better