Author Topic: What is behind Jack and Ennis' hats?  (Read 19551 times)

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: What is behind Jack and Ennis' hats?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 02:10:47 pm »
I bring this theory back into discussion because I think the yin-yang symbol illustrates Jack’s and Ennis’ relationship …. albeit not the “passive, cold female force” … but the concept that they exemplify the “harmony of these forces.”  It is stated in the screenplay that, after the “dozy embrace,” when we see an older Jack watching Ennis drive away …. Jack is watching his “other half.” Their hats are an outward expression of the “yin-yang” philosophy. Since the lake scene was their last time together (although Jack and Ennis didn’t know it) we, the audience, are brought back to the idea that one is not complete without the other. 

I mentioned this in the original y/y thread, but one of the many things that  I really love about the lake scene and yin/yang is that the original meanings of yin and yang are the north side of a mountain and the south side of a lake (yin) and the south side of a moutain and the north side of the lake (yang) so when I watch that scene as well as all the emotion and everything [gulp] I also love the harmony of the setting and the reminder of the two as two halves of the same natural element.

Hat wise, some of my favourite moments in BBM are to do with their hats; TS2, the happy tussle, the reunion kiss....  And when Ennis goes to Lightening Flat at the end there is something about his hatless head that makes him seem extra vunerable  :'(

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 02:58:03 pm »
I mentioned this in the original y/y thread, but one of the many things that  I really love about the lake scene and yin/yang is that the original meanings of yin and yang are the north side of a mountain and the south side of a lake (yin) and the south side of a moutain and the north side of the lake (yang) so when I watch that scene as well as all the emotion and everything [gulp] I also love the harmony of the setting and the reminder of the two as two halves of the same natural element.

Hat wise, some of my favourite moments in BBM are to do with their hats; TS2, the happy tussle, the reunion kiss....  And when Ennis goes to Lightening Flat at the end there is something about his hatless head that makes him seem extra vunerable  :'(

Well said! Where did you hear about the original meanings of y/y? I never read that! It's GREAT!

As for the "hat" scenes ... AGREED!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2006, 03:31:58 pm »
*Warning - comments on Jack's death scene*

But it's not really a "flashback." It's what Ennis thinks happened. Although it's ambiguous, I do tend to think that is what happened. 

Since I am definitely of the opinion that Jack was in fact killed, much like we see in that scene in the film, I too have tended to think of it as a sort of "flashback"; - that is: A combination of the real event and the horrific scene as played out by Ennis's imagination.

But we know that Jack's fate will remain ambiguous to us and to Ennis.... and so the scene that we see in the film is Ennis's grief and fear given life, breath and motion, and not a faithful representation of what actually happened to Jack. The events and elements in the scene do clearly underline that. I've steeled myself to watch it in slow motion:

There's the hat falling off as Jack is knocked viciously to the ground. The black hat is a Jack symbol not only to us, but to Ennis; - the hat being removed through violence indicates that a part of what makes Jack *Jack* is being removed. Hatless, he's symbolically being rendered vulnerable, unprotected, helpless.

After watching the vicious beating from a distance Ennis’s inner eye moves to close-up. One assailant proceeds to stomp viciously down on Jack's crotch, echoing Ennis's memory of the torment Earl was subjected to. And then comes the tire iron, striking Jack across the face, - Jack's beloved face beaten, rendered bloody, almost unrecognizable. Jack’s face seen “upside-down” adds further to the disoriented, nauseous feeling of the scene. All of it happens on a patch of vibrantly green grass, eerily reminiscent of the lush surroundings where J&E’s used to meet for their “fishing trips”.

The hat, the face, the genitals, the vibrant greens of nature: Concrete physical elements, the recollection of which would clearly speak to Ennis of Jack, speak of their relationship and their love and passion. And here in this violent, blurry scene it’s all under lethal attack from those faceless malevolent assailants Ennis has been waiting for, all of it being visually and intimately tied to Ennis's recollection of what happened to Earl. Though the indications are subtle (even if the scene in itself is not), and the whole scene flies by in a blur, leaving a horrified emotional impression but few concrete or detailed visuals, it seems certain from the elements in the scene that we are witnessing Ennis's deepest fears brought to life by his imagination….. doing its very worst. And Jack’s hat flying off is one of the first indicators, perhaps.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2006, 07:43:52 pm »
Since I am definitely of the opinion that Jack was in fact killed, much like we see in that scene in the film, I too have tended to think of it as a sort of "flashback"; - that is: A combination of the real event and the horrific scene as played out by Ennis's imagination.

I am on the same wavelength.

The hat, the face, the genitals, the vibrant greens of nature: Concrete physical elements, the recollection of which would clearly speak to Ennis of Jack, speak of their relationship and their love and passion. And here in this violent, blurry scene it’s all under lethal attack from those faceless malevolent assailants Ennis has been waiting for, all of it being visually and intimately tied to Ennis's recollection of what happened to Earl. Though the indications are subtle (even if the scene in itself is not), and the whole scene flies by in a blur, leaving a horrified emotional impression but few concrete or detailed visuals, it seems certain from the elements in the scene that we are witnessing Ennis's deepest fears brought to life by his imagination….. doing its very worst. And Jack’s hat flying off is one of the first indicators, perhaps.

Great interpretation! I had never watched that scene in slow motion … too painful. But after you said that you did this and you caught so many things, I decided to do it, too. The thing I noticed was that the first swing of the tire iron was towards Jack’s head. What I can’t make out is if his head was actually struck, or if it was just Jack’s hat that was thrown off. Either way, it is nightmarishly reminiscent of Ennis and Jack’s reunion scene. What I mean is that these men are pushing Jack and, in violence and hatred, knock Jack’s hat off (as opposed to Ennis’ grabbing Jack out of love and knocking Jack’s hat off due to Ennis’ pure and unadulterated passion). 
Diane

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2006, 01:57:27 pm »
I don't think I could stand to watch it in slow motion; I can barely stand to read Mikaela's vivid and observant but painful blow-by-blow description. I'm sure this was probably mentioned on another thread, but as I read it what kept coming to mind was Ennis' "Sure enough, if you don't get stomped doin it."

I think I'll have to stick with watching the tent and reunion scenes in slo-mo.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2006, 05:10:51 pm »
That scene is particularly horrible, even in normal speed, because those attackers act on cruel intent all along. It's not something that is escalating and getting out of hand while in progress. Those guys aim to kill from the very first we see them, and the sheer force used and the deliberate cruelty of their actions testify to an overwhelming hatred....   My slow-mo watching didn't only show me that, proving that the scene clearly represents Ennis's deepest fears brought to horrible life,  - it by extension also very strongly reminded me of this:

This is what Ennis firmly believed, or rather *knew* that he was protecting Jack from, all those years. In denying to meet Jack anywhere else than a couple of times a year out in the middle of nowhere, he was using all his strength of will to ward off this very fate, the fate he felt sure would be Jack's if he gave in to the wishes for that sweet life together. Watching that scene carefully, and remembering this is what Ennis held in his mind, this is what his fears showed him, this is what he struggled to avoid, - it's nearly impossible to blame Ennis or to be exasperated with him for refusing to budge, for worrying over "people knowing".

It's possible that Ennis was on the brink of taking the plunge and accepting to change their relationship to a "life together" when he received the "deceased" post card. I do tend to think so myself. Watching the death scene I now wonder whether Ennnis's fear of this fate for Jack might have played some little part in pushing Ennis to changing his mind at last: At their last meeting Jack revealed that he was seeing other men, that he couldn't make it on those few times a year with Ennis. Apart from everything else that would make Ennis feel and think, that would also mean to Ennis that despite Ennis's caution, despite his costly self-denial, Jack was at obvious risk from those long-feared shadowy attackers. And Ennis would be far away if it happened. Perhaps in weighing matters, Ennis might come to think that in this situation, Jack would be no more at risk if actually living with Ennis, while Ennis himself would be close by to at least be able to try to protect him? This is just speculalion on my part, I don't think anything in the film supports it - but I don't think it's all that far-fetched either.

Either way, it is nightmarishly reminiscent of Ennis and Jack’s reunion scene.

You are right - there is an frightening and eerie similarity there. In both scenes Jack is losing control, is being pushed along, has his hat knokced off - as love overwhelms him from the front, as hatred attacks from the back.  :'( Wonder if that parallell was intentional?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 05:15:38 pm by Mikaela »

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2006, 05:32:24 pm »
This is what Ennis firmly believed, or rather *knew* that he was protecting Jack from, all those years. In denying to meet Jack anywhere else than a couple of times a year out in the middle of nowhere, he was using all his strength of will to ward off this very fate, the fate he felt sure would be Jack's if he gave in to the wishes for that sweet life together. Watching that scene carefully, and remembering this is what Ennis held in his mind, this is what his fears showed him, this is what he struggled to avoid, - it's nearly impossible to blame Ennis or to be exasperated with him for refusing to budge, for worrying over "people knowing".

I can follow your logic. I am one of those who tend to become angry with Ennis. I think there is an element of Ennis protecting Jack and caring for him. (Katherine – didn’t you bring that up in another thread?) As I was reading your note I thought of two things:
1.   During the phone call with Lureen, Ennis envisions what he believes to be the real way that Jack died. Certainly, Ennis became aware that Jack was sleeping with other men (lake scene).
2.   While at Jack’s parents, when OMT talks about the “other ranch fella” … Ennis reacts. IMO, Ennis’ reaction is not soley based on the reality that he may have lost the only person he ever loved to another man. Rather, the knowledge that Jack may have been seen in a compromising situation with another man … reinforced the possibility that Jack was murdered.

You are right - there is an frightening and eerie similarity there. In both scenes Jack is losing control, is being pushed along, has his hat knokced off - as love overwhelms him from the front, as hatred attacks from the back.  :'( Wonder if that parallell was intentional?

It is hard to know. There are times I say to myself … “Girl, you are overanalyzing again!” However, I do think it was intentional.
Diane

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2006, 01:59:16 am »

I agree. In fact, in the story, where Ennis is less internally homophobic, his choice not to live with Jack seems almost logical and reasonable -- it suggests his fears were not at all unfounded. Movie Ennis' homophobia muddles the issue, but I do think this irony adds to the tragedy. The very fate Ennis spent his life denying himself in order to avoid happened anyway.

And Ennis would be far away if it happened. Perhaps in weighing matters, Ennis might come to think that in this situation, Jack would be no more at risk if actually living with Ennis, while Ennis himself would be close by to at least be able to try to protect him? This is just speculalion on my part, I don't think anything in the film supports it - but I don't think it's all that far-fetched either.

Interesting idea! And I agree, it's quite possible.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2006, 11:49:59 am »
The hats are an interesting contrast. Jack's hat always has an upturned brim and is often flying off, while Ennis's hat is stuck on his head with a flat brim, or even downturned a little, and shielding his eyes. So characteristic.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2006, 06:23:13 pm »
Great observations!

It occurred to me when we were discussing the scene where we are seeing Jack being attacked. Has anyone noticed that this is occurring by a railroad? When Ennis and Jack first meet, there is also a railroad. The train heads away while Jack’s truck arrives. Does this mean anything? Opinions anybody!?
Diane