Author Topic: Your opinion, please, on a Chez Tremblay matter  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Your opinion, please, on a Chez Tremblay matter
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:54:44 am »
Hi,  my fellow Tremblayans,

I've been thinking about intro threads around here, and am soliciting your thoughts and ideas.  The main "Introduce Yourself" thread for all of BetterMost is in the Open Forum, and it's the only constantly-stickied thread there.  Chez Tremblay has an intro thread too, and it's one of two constantly-stickied threads, along with the welcome thread.  The ABCs and 123s forum has a thread called "ABCs Playerz at a glance," that the mods compile and keep updated.  It's not stickied, but merely kept aloft with natural usage.  No other forum here has an intro thread.

When we Tremblayans rafted our way over here to BetterMost in March and April, it made good sense for us to have an "Introduce Yourself" thread.  We used it as a roll call, and a way to welcome each other to the new shores.  Once most of the original Tremblayans arrived and settled in, it mostly became a way for other BetterMostians to introduce themselves to the Tremblayans, as those other BetterMostians made friends with the Tremblayans.

Well, this is what I've been thinking - At this point, many of the original Tremblayans know a lot about each other and could write each others' intros.  There likely will be no oldtimer Tremblayans from over at IMDb showing up here for the first time now, and if they do, they can start their own thread.  Other BetterMostians, ones who want to come get involved in Chez Tremblay, have likely already posted their intros on the Open Forum "Introduce Yourself" thread.

So I've come to think it no longer serves anyone really to have a stickied intro thread at the top of CT.  What I haven't decided is my opinion on what should be the next step.  Should the CT intro thread simply be unstickied, allowed to rise and fall through natural usage?  Should it be merged into the Open Forum intro thread, and the CT welcome thread guide people to post their intros over there?  Should an effort like the "ABCs Playerz at a glance" be created for CT?  Should there be some kind of combination?

I'dl like to hear your ideas.

Clarissa

Update: I just remembered that there was a compilation of CT members made by Pete (ptannen).  He created it when we were at IMDb, and then updated it very soon after we arrived here.  It's in one of the early posts of the CT intro thread. 

moremojo

Re: Your opinion, please, on a Chez Tremblay matter
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 12:01:32 pm »
My two cents': Unsticky the thread, and allow it to rise and fall with usage. Retain the thread, as it is part of our history. But no need to keep it consistently at the top, as its introductory quality has become more and more redundant with the other 'Introduce Yourself' options on the site.

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:32:35 pm by moremojo »

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 12:06:27 pm »
I don't know how often do people actually post in the Introduce Yourself thread at CT. I think it's a good idea if it's merged with the one at the Open Forum. After all, everyone actually wanders around the entire Bettermost Forums.  It's not like a new member comes directly to the CT and just stays here. I also like Scott idea's above.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 12:21:02 pm »
Well I like the CT Say Hi and Introduce Yourself Thread as well, CT is one of, if not the most actively posted on board at Bettermost along with Fan Fiction and it is often the first board people come to before exploring at large.   It's also the place we're those new folks are most likely to get a warm reception.  When was the last time a board regular not a moderator took the time to head over to the main "Introduce Yourself" thead and welcomed anyone to Bettermost?   Happens pretty regular on CT and we do want folks to know how friendly and welcoming we are.

That's my 2 cents
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 02:07:58 pm by Victoria »

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 03:25:23 pm »
Well, CT is still about the only place I come to on Bettermost, only because I don't have time to get over to the Open Forum, games, or any other board as much as I would like to... it's kind of like, if I don't go I won't get sucked in there, too!  :)

As far as this question goes, I am against the merging of the two "introduce yourself" threads, because I feel that as special as BetterMost is as a whole, the CT community is special in itself, and we came to be here from unusual circumstances that probably strengthened our collective identity even more than it was already. Because of that, I feel we should preserve, rather than lose by mixing in with the whole, the introductions of ourselves to these new BetterMost shores as Tremblayans. I want to preserve the history by keeping the thread as it is. I agree with Victoria that our ruddy determination and friendliness are a trademark of the community, and that these traits have kept many of us together for six months now. So my vote is to unsticky the thread and let it move up or down with the tide, but don't merge it to the open forum, becasue this is an enclave within an oasis and I would like to keep the specialness of the "Tremblayan welcome" folks get by coming here.

Hope that is clear and not too redundant!

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 06:47:44 am »
Keep our own intro thread--do not merge with the others. We are our own community here CT, with our own history. While many have ventured forth and explored the larger world of bettermost, and new folks have come and joined us since our mass migration on March 30, I still think CT is a special group and we need to preserve that.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 07:11:43 am »
Is it ok for someone "from away" to express an opinion here?

As someone who came to BetterMost from Dave Cullen and not from IMDb I just want to say that I do spend almost all of my time in CT now that I'm here. I did post on both Welcome threads because as a newbie just wandering around I did stumble onto the other one first. I think it's a lot like living in Maine - I like it here, people are really friendly, and I doubt that I'll ever leave, even though I know that I won't ever be a "real" Chez Tremblayan, but as long as you all continue to be so friendy and welcoming to outsiders I think it's a really neat thing that you are a separate community. Staying separate would only be a bad thing if people started to be afraid to come here for fear of crashing the party, so to speak.

I couldn't figure out what CT was at first, and then I found the history and it was really fun to find out how you all ended up here. In fact, it is a story that I have told to several other people who don't even come on the forum, just because I thought it was so unique, so definitely don't let anything happen to that thread.

I appreciate the warm welcome that I received here. Thanks, everybody.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 10:32:25 am »
Lauren, first of all, you're welcome.  :)

Second of all, consider yourself a Tremblayan!! If you came here, and you liked it, it doesn't matter when you joined or that you weren't here when we first came together, or first came here. I  too stumbled upon CT a month after it started on IMDb, and like you, felt I was crashing the party, but people were as welcoming to me as they have been to you, and within a month of my arrival, we were here at Bettermost. Point is, we should both be in this camp.  ;D ;)
It don't matter how you came to be here.

Third of all, Maine rocks! I go every summer. And will probably go again this fall. We can meet up and maybe share a cup of whiskey together! I'll PM you.

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 02:27:11 pm »
Point is, we should both be in this camp.  ;D ;)

Jenny summed it up just right.  Lauren, your contributions have really enhanced things here.  Thanks for your perspective.

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 10:45:12 am »
Jenny and Clarissa, thank you. You're both very sweet.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 01:40:23 am »
I'm late to the party and now it's over but I'm going to weigh in anyway. My vote would have been to retain it as is or merge it with another CT introductory thread. What I don't like to see is threads deleted-it just feels like censorship to me. I would rather see them locked if they are inflammatory or let they just fall away naturally.

O0

Heathen

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 01:08:58 pm »
Unstick it.

vkm91941

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 08:27:02 pm »
bump one more time just in case anyone else has an opinion...