Author Topic: Six-month anniversary  (Read 4586 times)

moremojo

Six-month anniversary
« on: August 18, 2006, 10:05:53 am »
Howdy, fellow Tremblayans and fellow Brokebackaphiles:

Just wanted to send a quick shout-out (while preparing for my big upcoming scene as Jimbo [hissss!]) to commemorate the fact that today marks six months to the very day that I first saw the movie of my life, whereupon I haven't been the same since.

It was a bitterly cold Saturday afternoon, that February 18th, and Scott was mindful that the next morn would see him transformed as a thirty-nine year old man--gettin' up there in years, aren't we? His mom was in town, and he thought this would be an ideal chance to see the movie, the one that his pal Melinda asked him if he had seen everytime they communicated. God, she loves this movie! I reckon I'll enjoy it well enough, but not necessarily expecting much from it...still curious though.

It's now about one A.M., and everyone has gone to bed, some hours after seeing "Brokeback Mountain" and discussing it. It definitely struck a nerve with all three of them (Scott, his mom, and his sister), but Scott is feeling more numb than anything else.  Despite the tears that welled up in his eyes in the theater, and stung upon exposure to the bitter night air outside. But here, lying in bed, thinking on what he has seen, some primal emotion, from deep within his being, rises up from that hollow feeling and engulfs him. Ennis, poor Ennis...he thinks to himself. He begins to sob--he has fallen in love and lost that love all at the same time. He is thirty-nine now...life has changed.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
Re: Six-month anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 10:51:50 am »
Thank you Scott. For re-capturing your experience so well and sharing it with us. The huge sadness (of the northern plains...) of this movie is something I still keep at bay sometimes. I haven't watched the movie since it left the theaters in April because of how much it might affect me.

But reading your post takes me back and reminds me of why we are here. To love and change. Happy Anniversary bud.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 11:07:00 am »
Thank you Scott. For re-capturing your experience so well and sharing it with us. The huge sadness (of the northern plains...) of this movie is something I still keep at bay sometimes. I haven't watched the movie since it left the theaters in April because of how much it might affect me.

But reading your post takes me back and reminds me of why we are here. To love and change. Happy Anniversary bud.
Thank you for your heartwarming reply ((((((((hugs))))))))...

I saw the movie five times in the theater, and would have seen it more that way had it not left town the weekend before the DVD release (I remember crying over the movie's departure, as if I was having to say goodbye to Ennis and Jack again!). I still have watched the DVD all the way through only once--the sadness is somehow too great to bear in the space of my home.

BBM has definitely changed me. My heart is more open, while I'm conscious of wanting to be a more loving person, a less judgmental person, less encumbered by fear. My interest in the Western heritage of my home state of Texas has been given new life, and I am receptive to country-and-Western music to a degree that is unprecedented. And I can never look at a man in a cowboy hat the same way ever again!

Still coming out, in all kinds of ways,
Scott

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 12:45:04 pm »
Happy Anniversary Scott!   :-*

Thank you for sharing this moving and tender memory will all of us, Scott. Aldous Huxley said that every man's memory is his private literature.  In this case I think your memory resonates with the private musings of many of us Brokies.  This film evokes very poignant and personal reactions in all us, regardless of gender or orientation and it brought us together as community to share at least a part of our journey on to becoming.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 01:00:36 pm »
but Scott is feeling more numb than anything else.  Despite the tears that welled up in his eyes in the theater, and stung upon exposure to the bitter night air outside. But here, lying in bed, thinking on what he has seen, some primal emotion, from deep within his being, rises up from that hollow feeling and engulfs him. Ennis, poor Ennis...he thinks to himself. He begins to sob

This was me too, Scott, on New Year's Eve afternoon, when I first saw it, and beyond.  I have enjoyed your posts many times, I remember being so happy when you arrived here from IMDb.  Hug, Clarissa

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 01:12:38 pm »
Faulkner also said : In order to write, you have to murder all your children," which is why only 10 seconds of "A Love that will Never Grow Old" is actually in the movie.

Iwas a chipper 70, and it was the end of the serond week in Decermber when I saw the movie, prompted by Ewen McGregor's week-long "Boondocks" aboui granddad and his friend going to see it, thinking it was a John Wayne western, and Jack in the previews saying "It's nobody's business but ours," and "I wish I could quit you."  I saw it once, thought "that's a great movie." I  thought. Picked up the short story and read it. Saw it again. And suddenly, I was in love with the relationship betweren two fictional characters. 27 theater viewings later, God knows how many DVD viewings, and over 40,000 words of fanfiction written, i still am.

Most exciting has been seeing the movie 4-5 times with anywhere between 5-50 Brokies in San Francisco. I have acquied a new flesh-and blood friend, acquired and irrevocably lost another.  And most of the people on BeterMost don't speak to me anymore.

Tout est temporaire dans la vie-=-la vie, aussi.

Hell of a time to turn 39, Scott!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 02:40:10 pm by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 05:36:04 pm »
August 11th was the six month anniversary of BetterMost.  I know how you feel!
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 06:39:54 pm »
Wow....6 months?  Doesn't seem like that long...its been nearly a year since I went to BBM at IMBD...

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 06:50:19 pm »
Hiya Scott!  :)

That's right!  6 months have passed haven't they? wow..
I vaguely remember all the other stuff I used to do before BBM completely bowled me over..lol

I still remember how stunned I was after that first viewing.
I walked home quietly, I remember it was snowing softly, and I felt like my head was going to explode.. ;D..
Needless to say that I went back several times after that viewing.  The cinema staff started recognising me!  I was almost at the point where they'd have wanted me to chip in for staff birthdays, I was there so often .. lol..

I so wish I could see BBM in the theatre again!  :)

vkm91941

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 08:45:19 pm »
and don't forget September 30 will mark the six month anniversary of the mass exodus of the original Tremblians from IMDb to Bettermost.

It was a very good Day.  Celeste (yaadpar) found us this new home Clarissa (ellemeno) organized a few of us to contact everyone, Jenny (newyearsday) organized others to pack up our threads and we moved on up to this peaceful mountain meadow.  It was like heaven after been ravaged for so long.  Good Day, Good Memory

moremojo

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 09:16:59 pm »
Thank you all, guys, for your heartfelt replies and reminiscences. I realized after posting that 'six-month anniversary' is an oxymoron, and 'six-month milestone' might have been more accurate, but it certainly feels like a year, in terms of all the living and feeling that we've been going through over these months.

Victoria, thanks for the heads-up about the Tremblayan milestone that next month will witness. I notice that you and RouxB have revisited TOB on IMDb for old times' sake, as have I, and it feels good, though in a bittersweet way, to post there again, undeterred and committed as always. But I am as grateful as anyone to have found the refuge we have been given here at BetterMost, and look forward to a long and engaged presence in our little community here.

I love you all, with all my heart and mind...

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:49:40 pm by moremojo »

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 09:31:06 pm »
Happy milestone(s) to all of us! I can't believe it has been almost 9 months since my falling in love with this story and 7 months since falling in love with all of you.
There was a time I despaired of losing the intensity of my feeling for Brokeback Mountain and seeing new friends disappear but what has settled in is the warm realization that it, and you all, will live within me to some degree forever. These past months have been some of the best-and worst-of my life and through it all there was BbM-and you.

Tremblayans-you mean the world to me  :-*

Roux

Heathen

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 09:37:55 pm »
Scott, Friend, I think you may have nailed it.

We were all unexpected silent partners in the relation ship of Ennis and Jack. We were emotionally invested and had the rug pulled from under us. We were this way because we had lived this. We knew this. It was not a panel of the dream it was a panel of our lives.

The evening of 7 January 2006 I had the love of a lifetime in an hour and a half. Shit Fire.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."