Author Topic: Sometimes I wish A.Proulx would have written the story different. How about you?  (Read 5151 times)

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Like the one about Uncle Harold, I have spent DAYS thinking about him, how he went up on Brokeback Mtn with Aguirre 20 years before, about how he was married to Alma's sister but they divorced, etc. etc. 

jp - thanks - I wasn't even thinking about that (I wasn't even thinking at all, apparently) - I was thrown off by this sentence, but now I realize that I was completely misinterpreting what FrontRanger is saying.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
I am a happy ever after kinda gal-that is the purpose of fan fiction. The story as written, however, is just perfect enough for me. I think we bonded over the story and movie as it was written-I'm pretty sure I would not be here, at 1:12 AM (on a school night) after 8 hours of air travel if the story had been written differently-in any way.

O0

Heathen

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
I wish that Jack and Ennis, the people who are too damn real in my head to be characters in a story or on film, could have a happy ending.

Yep.

But the story? If I step back and appreciate the story and the movie as art, then, well, I think the sad ending is a big part of why the story feels so powerful.

I agree completely with what you said. I guess I wasn't able to make clear what I'm thinking. When I step back and look at the story or the movie I very much appreciate them for the art they are, each in it's own way. Then I don't want a change for the ending, for the reasons you and the other posters have mentioned: it makes the story so powerful, it's not only a love story, but also a story about homophobia and probably we all would not be here, it (probably) wouldn't have such an impact on us.

I don't watch the movie as much as I think about it because I just don't want the sadness sometimes
Yes, me too. This story and the movie got me really good. And the last time I saw it, I wasn't able to shrug off the sadness for days. Guess that was what made me wish it would have ended in another way.

I wish very badly for Ennis and Jack they could have a happy end.
And sometimes I wish for my own peace of mind Annie Proulx would have written it different. When I wrote the OP I definately had such a moment. But not now anymore.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 05:49:42 am by Penthesilea »