Author Topic: Your orientation  (Read 13954 times)

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
Re: Your orientation
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 04:44:10 pm »
May I say how tired I am of the word "gay," though?   I'm becoming downright resentful.  Never been one for bars (haven't set foot in one in 15 years - infrequent and irregular attendance prior to that.)  Been once to Fire Island (or equivalent party spot)  not obsessed with clothes, appearance...  anyway... you get the idea.  While sexually attracted only to males, I've never shared much else with the "gay" community at large.  In fact, I've often been outright rejected by it.  None if this is meant as a criticism of that lifestyle -- some people hate brussels sprouts, I love' em (go figure.) -- but it's just not appealling to me.

Anyway...  I think we need to find another word... a new word... one that conveys clearly where one's emotional/sexual energies focus, but does not conjur up all the attendant stereotypical images.

Maybe I'm dreaming...   or being silly (neither beyond the realm of possibility.)  Queer is better, I think, but for me smacks too much of "in your face"  as in "we're here, get over it!))  And homosexual has always been a problem.  A Latin/Greek hybrid that should have died in Mr. Kertbeny's notes never to be heard of again.  Homophile, while at least a real word, doesn't convey the "sexual" side, it simply means Love of the Same.

I'm sure I'm not the first to pose this but I'd welcome any thoughts...  (Mods, if this is the wrong place for this, tell me where and how I can move it.)

This is a good topic, but it doesn't belong here. I'm starting a new thread in Safe Haven.

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 01:05:46 am »
Sorry, Shuggy,

I wondered about that.  But I had no idea how to go about moving it.  Hate to cause trouble.  I'll try to be more on topic in future.

Kudz

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 09:49:06 am »
I'm curious and have a question for the two females with "other" orientation: what orientations are there aside from hetero, bi, and gay/lesbian??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 09:52:56 am »
I'm curious and have a question for the two females with "other" orientation: what orientations are there aside from hetero, bi, and gay/lesbian??

"Asexual", I guess.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

TJ

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 06:04:54 pm »
A person who experiences physiological sexual attractions to both genders equally is "omnisexual." A PhD psychologist told me that.

A person who is double-gendered, both male and female a the same time with variations is an "Intersex." Those people have been called "hermaphrodites." But, "Intersex" seems to be a more preferred term now and I have met some people who identified themselves that way.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 03:05:15 am »
I am gay, gay, all the way.

It isn't easy in this part of the country though. I learned long ago to keep it "under the table" so to speak.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Giancarlo

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 04:10:41 am »
I'm gay. :) I live in Los Angeles.. just depends on where you are...

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 12:45:18 am »
It isn't easy in this part of the country though.
I hear ya, Friend.

I will admit to being able to find men attractive, but I didn't vote bisexual because sometimes I'm not totally sure what that entails, and I'm certainly not half-and-half, as I am much more often attracted to females and would only consider having a relationship with a woman.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 10:03:22 am »
According to the poll I am the only straight male on BetterMost...

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 10:25:37 am »
I wasn't sure whether to put myself in the bi female or straight female, slightly bent category... so I plumped for bi female on the strength of the only short relationship I've had with a woman, which was pretty chaste I guess but did involve some hanky panky. Does it mean I'm past the 'slightly bent' stage if it's got physical? I sure wouldn't object if it happened again, I had a major crush on this woman for a long time, and I sure appreciate a good looking woman, so I guess I must be bi? ???

Well, David, which would you rather be: very single? or technically in a relationship, 'cos you're living with that person, but feeling like you ARE single?  :-\
I'm afraid I fall - I am falling - in the second category, and find it uncomfortable. I like situations to be clear. I want to be really single when I am feeling available   ;D

Isabelle, honey, you and I are on the same page at the moment  :-*

According to the poll I am the only straight male on BetterMost...

That's because you're special Chris... ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 10:29:01 am by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!