Author Topic: A question about a valued member of TOB  (Read 3148 times)

moremojo

A question about a valued member of TOB
« on: August 22, 2006, 10:15:13 pm »
Greetings, fellow Tremblayans--

I have wondered about a woman who posted on the IMDb message board for Brokeback Mountain back in the old days (say, six or five months ago), who I thought was very sweet but whose subsequent history is unknown to me. Her username on IMDb was OBsessedwithorli1, or something approximating that. I remember that she had a daughter, and was taking care of her elderly mother, calling Oakland, California home. One striking thing about her story is that her father and grandfather had both been actual cowboys. She had a personal connection to Ennis and Jack's world that was seemingly rare among us.

She may already be here at BetterMost, unbeknownst to me. But I got the impression that we lost her somewhere along the shuffle prompted by the Troll Wars, and the thought of that happening somehow haunts me. She really loved this movie and story, as much as any of us, and every post of hers seemed straight from the heart. Does anyone know any latest news about her, or from her?

Just curious... If anyone might feel more comfortable in pursuing this topic via PM's, please feel free to contact me that way. And please forgive if somehow the posting of this topic exceeds propriety--if so, that was not my intention.

Best regards,
Scott

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: A question about a valued member of TOB
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 02:47:25 pm »
Did you ever put her in your IMDb friends list?  You could PM her there through that....  You have a good heart, Scott.

Clarissa

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 02:51:27 pm »
Wish I could help Scott, but sadly can't.
I don't remember her name from Imdb either..haven't been back there in a dog's age.

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 08:32:14 pm »
I remember her Scott but haven't seen her post in a long time and she was not on my friends list.  OF course mine was full of trolls at the end so we could keep an eye on them  ::) .......

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 09:24:53 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, y'all. Clarissa, I checked my friends list, and her username was not there--I'm thinking that I probably never added her, which unfortunately was the case with all too many of our wonderful posters from the mother board. I'm wishing her well, wherever she may be, and am grateful to have been touched by her presence, however briefly, in the course of my continuing journey.

Scott

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 09:29:17 pm »
I am ashamed to say I have never been to that site, but is there a way to brows profiles? Or maybe google the handle you remember.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 11:48:44 am »
Thanks for the feedback, y'all. Clarissa, I checked my friends list, and her username was not there--I'm thinking that I probably never added her, which unfortunately was the case with all too many of our wonderful posters from the mother board. I'm wishing her well, wherever she may be, and am grateful to have been touched by her presence, however briefly, in the course of my continuing journey.

Scott

I just came across this thread.  Scott, if you had added her to your Frineds list, but then she changed her username, she would still be on the Friends list, under the different name. 

After we came here, I didn't go back to IMDb for a long time.  When I did, I looked at my Friends list and there were several people I had never heard of.  They were all people who for various reasons had changed their usernames.  When I clicked on their profiles, I figured out who some of them were.

As far as I can tell, the "Friends" list is the only way to keep track of users at IMDb, the only list to browse.  Once I realized that, I put anyone I wanted to find easily on there - hence some of the trolls are on there too.  Not the homophobes who came to spew ugly venom - they went on my Ignore list.  But the trolls whose goal was to make misvhief with the BBM board and the Pierre Tremblay board.  Plus, as the IMDb world was crumbling, I started adding all of you, so I could find you gor when we found our new home, so my Friends list over there is long, but currently idle.

moremojo

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 11:45:38 am »
Thanks, Clarissa, for the additional feedback. I shoulda posted this a while back, as I did indeed find out who this cherished member was, and happily confirmed that she is indeed among us here at BetterMost. I won't divulge her identity unless she herself chooses to do so ;). But she is under a different IMDb username now, and is now on my also rather lengthy Friends list there as such :D.

Cheers,
Scott