Author Topic: Four (now FOURTEEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?  (Read 183747 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Four Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 03:13:09 am »
I saw it on Tue, March 21st 2006, I still have the ticket stub. I had somehow heard of the movie, read good reviews and was mildly interested. Then I saw a report about it, and another one about the reactions to the movie from people in Wyoming in an arts magazine. That was when I decided to see the movie.
I went with a friend (who wasn't a friend back then, "only" an aquaintance). I came out of the movie, saying  "That was something completely different. I've never seen anything like it." Like so many others, I didn't know what had hit me. I didn't cry till two days later, when I saw a denim shirt of my husband hanging at the closet door. A picture so similar to The Shirts in BBM. That was when I ran for the bathroom and cried.
My friend and I went back to see the movie again, something I had never done before in my life. And then again, and again ....
We both became Brokies, and close friends.

How will I celebrate? As every year, I will watch the movie around that time, not necessarily on the exact date. On the date itself, I will just raise my glass to Ennis and Jack.

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 09:41:42 am »
Every year I go hiking & sure enough I must make that one stop in canmore to "embrace" the celebration, even after 4 years.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 09:50:22 am »
I didn't cry till two days later, when I saw a denim shirt of my husband hanging at the closet door. A picture so similar to The Shirts in BBM. That was when I ran for the bathroom and cried.

(((Chrissi)))  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 01:56:44 pm »
Every year I go hiking & sure enough I must make that one stop in canmore to "embrace" the celebration, even after 4 years.

Say "Time to hit the hay, cowboy" for me, friend horo!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 02:05:14 pm »
December 09th, 2005:  It opened in three theatres in the country. (Or was it five, I can't remember).  The Embarcadero Cinema in SF even did a midnight show Thursday night, unheard of for an art house film! 

I remember a co-worker of mine who loves movies drove to the Embarcadero Cinema in San Francisco that day to see it right away the first matinee, and she said it was a madhouse, with lines around the theatre and all shows for the day were sold out. 

I was running a movie social group at the time in the East Bay area, and it opened in the East Bay the following week on December 16th, 2005.  We saw it that opening night.  I had about 80 members of my movie club in attendance.  We sort of took over that California Theatre in Berkeley, where mind you it was playing on all three of their three screens.  :D

After the movie I was so choked up it was hard for me to continue to play "host" to the group afterwards.  (Our tradition was to go out to eat or go to the local watering hole for cocktails and socializing after seeing movies.)  But I made it through it.  The next day I went back to see it (at a different theatre) and saw it twice in a row, and the rest is history...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 02:41:34 pm »
That's a cool-looking theatre, Eric.  Good for you for thinking to photograph the marquee.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 03:01:41 pm »
... where mind you it was playing on all three of their three screens.  :D

That's a cool-looking theatre, Eric.  Good for you for thinking to photograph the marquee.

What Paul said. Thanks for posting the pic.

"on 3 screens" - makes me happy to read this :).
(and yes, I realize it was four effin years ago, don't mattter none to me)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 09:22:36 pm »

Also don't forget that awesome BBM Theatre Pictures thread we have on here...
 :D
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,697.0.html

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 01:12:25 am »

HAPPY EFFIN' ANNIVERSARY, BUDS!
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 02:04:32 am »

It won't be four effin years for me until Jan 26, next year. It was on that date in 2006, the Australia Day public holiday, that Brokeback Mountain had it's first public screening in Australia. I saw it  at the morning session with my friend George at the multiplex in the Broadway Shopping Centre (pic above) in Sydney, not far from where I live. We went to the morning session because usually few people go to that session. Not so on this occasion. The place was packed. I'd read a few reviews in the media leading up to the release date, most of which played up the gay cowboy thing. I wasn't expecting a lot. I'd never heard of Jake, nor Annie Proulx for that matter. I'd heard of Heath as a minor actor in low-budget Aussie soap operas on TV. The only person I knew was Ang Lee from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Though the cinema was packed, it was received very well. Not a peep from the audience throughout and nearly everyone remained, hushed, for the credits at the end. It had a four month run in Sydney and I saw it about twenty times at the cinema, some of them with George. He loved the movie but did not become a Brokie. My reaction following the first viewing could be likened to shock. I couldn't stop thinking about it and often found myself in tears. I had not read the short story prior to seeing the film. I sought out info online and found IMDB, which I didn't know about until then. From IMDB, thanks to the Trolls, who drove me away, I found my way here to BetterMost in Nov 2006. I had never belonged to such a site before and didn't know how they worked. I had never "chatted" with others on line before. It's not exaggerating to say Brokeback Mountain changed my life.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν