Author Topic: Ang Lee and the POM synergy  (Read 20929 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Directions and the POM synergy
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 01:27:12 am »
Thanks for the bump, Lynne.  I ain't never seen this thread before.

I am interested in this apartment diagram, Barbara.  Where would the following be:

The couch ("that fire and brimstone crowd?")

The couch ("Maybe we could take your friend to the Knife & Fork.")

Are they the same?

Why does their living room seem so much bigger to me in the brimstone scene than in the Knife & Fork scene?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 01:12:58 pm »
The couches are in the same position in both scenes, but the first is faded orange, the second faded blue.

As to why the room seems bigger: All I can suggest is the difference in camera position. The ?brimstone? scene is shot with the camera next to the TV, looking down the length of the room. The ?Knife & Fork? scene is shot from the window, looking across the width of the room.

Here is another revised layout.

I love this.  Last night, when I was watching BBM in chat, I did deliberately look at the two scenes to contrast the two living room scenes.  It seemed more obvious that they are the same this time.

I have an urge to see a notation for where Ennis hangs his hat in the entryway.  Is that possible?  :)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 12:05:11 am »
Great observations, everybody! I love all the connections being described.

Quote from: goadra
Something I’d like to know: Why the switch in tense when Jack talks about quitting rodeo?
  • In the story: “I’m gettin out while I still can walk.”
  • In the film: “Got out while I could still walk.”

Oooh, grammar! (confession time - in jr. high I thought diagramming sentences was some high-class entertainment. Weird but true...)

Ok, I think the switch here goes along with Annie's Jack still being broke, still driving "the same old green pickup", 'cause LD isn't letting Lureen "have none a the money....so it's a hard go now"
That really is a big difference from the movie. It means Jack's been rodeoing, and barely scraping by, for 4 years. It also means that Bobby being born apparently didn't make any difference to Story LD, far as welcoming Lureen back into the family affluence. (Maybe Story Fayette still got those 120 cans of formula to Lureen somehow. ;))
 It seems like Annie's Jack and Ennis are in comparable financial circumstances, at least as far as that present moment was concerned.

I've got a question:
What things does the trailer mailbox connect to in the story? The screenplay is real specific. It's a "new mailbox" and "Ennis has a set of stick-on numbers in his hand. Peels the 1 off and precisely applies it, then the 7: 17."
Someone (who?) pointed out in another thread that there were 17 mountain ranges listed. Is one point of this carefully spelled out action of Ennis maybe to serve as something of that montage you mentioned hoping for, jp? Awake (instead of asleep), remembering (dreaming) their times together, as you said?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 12:11:04 am by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 12:50:52 am »
I don't understand the significance of the mailbox exactly, but I do know that it is a powerful image to Annie Proulx, the author of the story. She uses mailboxes and mail in many of her works; in fact her second novel is called "Postcards" and there are images of postcards at the beginning of each chapter. I surmise that the mailbox has to do with a character's receptivity to others, as well as relationships between people in general. Added to this is the fact that both the trailer and the mailbox have a similar shape and are made out of a similar light metal. These repeated shapes, colors, and materials add resonance to the movie.

There have been many theories, mostly fanciful or far-fetched, about the 17. My own theory has to do with 1 + 7 = 8, or the eighth month, the missing August. But it is as far-fetched as any of the others. Who knows, it may have been the propmaster's birthday (January 7)!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 02:18:00 am »
Whaddya think, Elle?

I love it!  A wonderful New Year's gift.  Thank you so much.  :)  I need a clapping emoticon!  Now I have an urge to see the medicine cabinet where Ennis takes out his toothbrush.  And the counter where he stuffs his thermos into his bag.  Never enough detail, never enough.  :D

I marvel at your prowess in doing this. 

P.S. to all -  I love our Open Forum.

I don't recollect the duffle bag by the door.  Can you remind me?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2006, 01:05:27 pm »
Aww, I love the salt & pepper!! Keep it up, goadra!!

BTW, there is also a vacuum cleaner with the water heater and the ironing board. And on the opposite wall is a sewing machine, a la Penelope.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2006, 01:14:38 pm »
Beer bottles, ash tray, and two bare feet ;D   Most excellent!

on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2006, 03:29:27 pm »
I love the feet and beer bottles!  Go Barbara!!!  [Clapping, clapping hands emoticon]

How about a lighter by the window too? (JennyC's and Flashframe777's favorite shot.)

There is really nothing we know to put in the girls' room, is there?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2006, 03:32:52 pm »

Oooh, grammar! (confession time - in jr. high I thought diagramming sentences was some high-class entertainment. Weird but true...)

Fern, I think there are several grammar-lovers 'round these parts.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2006, 04:44:19 pm »
Oooh, the right kind of lighter!  :)  And those big toes are just right too.  :)

How about their marital bed?  ("I'd have 'em if you'ld spurt 'em.")  :D