Author Topic: What would you like Ang to comment on?  (Read 22309 times)

mvansand76

Re: What would you like Ang to comment on?
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 10:03:06 am »

You don’t think that’d really clear up the debate, do you?
 ;)
That's hilarious!
 :laugh: :laugh: No way!

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 12:33:48 pm »
You don’t think that’d really clear up the debate, do you?
 ;)

Well, I haven't been persuaded to change my mind by the counterarguments of people who disagree with me, I haven't been persuaded by police officers using expert analysis and high-tech equipment ... so I guess there's no reason to be persuaded by the people who were actually there in person, and either said it or didn't say it themselves!

:laugh:

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 08:59:56 pm »
I would like to ask Ang if he feels he might have left things a little to ambiguous...  Perhaps if he feels he was a little too reserved in certain scenes?  Or does he still view the movie as perfect or his "vision"? 

I guess the real question I want to know is, is there any scene(s) he would like to go back and re-do, remove, or insert new?  :D  In retrospect, what might he have done differently?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 09:02:52 pm by sfericsf »

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 01:30:25 pm »
I would like to ask Ang if he feels he might have left things a little to ambiguous...  Perhaps if he feels he was a little too reserved in certain scenes?  Or does he still view the movie as perfect or his "vision"? 

Sometimes I wonder if the scarcity of love scenes is entirely a way of illustrating the "never enough time" theme (as we sometimes theorize) or if it was partly a result of Ang being cautious about not offending straight viewers. I don't think he was stifled or cowed by that concern (hence TS1, half an hour into the movie). But did viewers' possible reactions cause him to hold back at all? And if so, in retrospect, seeing that the film stirred controversy but was also widely beloved and acclaimed and unexpectedly successful, would he have been any less restrained?

I'd like to hear him comment on that.

mvansand76

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 01:38:11 pm »
Sometimes I wonder if the scarcity of love scenes is entirely a way of illustrating the "never enough time" theme (as we sometimes theorize) or if it was partly a result of Ang being cautious about not offending straight viewers. I don't think he was stifled or cowed by that concern (hence TS1, half an hour into the movie). But did viewers' possible reactions cause him to hold back at all? And if so, in retrospect, seeing that the film stirred controversy but was also widely beloved and acclaimed and unexpectedly successful, would he have been any less restrained?

I'd like to hear him comment on that.

That would be interesting, yes, I have always wondered about this as well. I am not sure if it is only the 'never enough time' theme, I tend to believe it's not. But on the other hand, there are more love scenes in the film than in the book! ;)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 03:51:13 pm »
But on the other hand, there are more love scenes in the film than in the book! ;)

Well, yes and no. TS2 isn't in the book, and I'd never want to give that up! But the book contains more references to displays of affection -- even actual sex -- in their later lives. For example, when Jack says "Sometimes I miss you so much ..." Ennis just clams up and looks away. In the story, when Jack says something like that, Ennis pulls Jack closer and continues talking. Now THAT would have made a difference, wouldn't it!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 04:05:11 pm »
Well, yes and no. TS2 isn't in the book, and I'd never want to give that up! But the book contains more references to displays of affection -- even actual sex -- in their later lives. For example, when Jack says "Sometimes I miss you so much ..." Ennis just clams up and looks away. In the story, when Jack says something like that, Ennis pulls Jack closer and continues talking. Now THAT would have made a difference, wouldn't it!
Some how seeing Ennis and Jack in the tent made up for that at least to me. In the story and earlier screen plays there was no final embrace at the final lake scene. In the movie you know even if they didn't show Jack watch Ennis drive away that he stayed and took care of Ennis until he was able to leave.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 05:12:46 pm »
Some how seeing Ennis and Jack in the tent made up for that at least to me.

That helps, but ... it doesn't quite make it all up.

* Sigh. * Never enough sex, never enou -- TIME. TIME. I mean, never enough TIME.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 06:54:05 pm »

* Sigh. * Never enough sex, never enou -- TIME. TIME. I mean, never enough TIME.

Katherine!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 02:13:38 am »

I guess i just think that Ennis and Jack seem like real people to many of us what we don't see are  private and were shown enough that we know things were as they always were between them.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.